Tsunoda – Kinect will “blow away” iPad sales

Friday, 17th September 2010 09:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kinect4

Kinect creative chief Kudo Tsunoda reckons the 360 motion camera’s going to put Apple’s iPad in the shade. It’ll probably take it to school as well.

“The pre-orders have been really strong,” speaking of Kinect to Gama at TGS.

“As far as what we’re looking at for Holiday, this is going to be stuff that’ll blow away any of the sales you’ve seen with iPad.

“The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii and Sony right now. Kinect’s really just going to boost that to a whole new level.”

iPad sold 1 million units in its first 28 days on sale and went on to sell 3 million in three months.

Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg said earlier this week that the company expects Kinect to sell 3 million units this holiday.

Microsoft announced a new Steel Battalion game for Kinect this week, and has confirmed that both Suda51 and Dr Kawashima games are on the way for the device.

Kinect launches globally in November.

1. StolenGlory

Ugh, this pretenious twat winds me up

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH YOUR NAME, YOU’RE NOT EVEN JAPANESE!

-End rant.

2. mart

What a weird comparison to make. Two completely different products, catering to different audiences. One outselling the other makes it a more successful example of what, exactly?

I reckon Sainsbury’s will sell more tubs of Quality Street than Apple will sell iPads this Christmas. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

3. Joe Anderson

I’m sorry but Move FTW. I really don’t see how Kinect can better Move in terms of core gamers, Move is amazing.

Kinect on the other hand is as casual as it comes, which is probably where all those sales are coming from.

Sure get one and put it under your tv but unless it gets better support the only thing on it will be dust.

I hope I’m wrong cause I still want one for Dance Central haha.

4. Erthazus

Preorders are strong for this piece of shit? Really? I mean, really? For that price?
    You can’t be serious.

5. Michael O’Connor

Okay Microsoft, now you’re just talking through your ass.

@4 t’s hard to believe, but not entirely implausible. You’ve clearly never seen the sales of the Wii Balance Board.

6. cookiejar

Oh dear.

I hope Steve Jobs runs an add on this when it doesn’t happen.

7. Withnail

Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

8. Kerplunk

There are some pretty bold claims being made from various Microsoft spokesmen regarding the success of Kinect.

I know its all very easy to dismiss. But can you imagine if such claims were proven true. Woah.

9. Bremenacht

Allllll that egg – wasted on his stupid face.

10. Tonka

His grandmother is Japanese.

11. Suikoden Fan

the more bullshit i hear from MS people or there PR the more i want this to fail terribly

12. Ge0force

Why do people pre-order a piece of expensive hardware if there isn’t any decent software for it?

13. Psychotext

People like buying things?

14. Tonka

His granddad was a sailor

15. CptKurk

So how will Kinect sales compare with the new Toyota Prius? Hm? Or Braun’s next-generation shaver? Or any other product that doesn’t tell us a flying fuck about whether Kinect is any fun or not?

16. Elven_Star

Seriously, who’s this guy’s fashion adviser? He totally needs a kick in the butt.

17. Madgame

I believe he is trying to make the comparison to iPad and the like to attempt to put Kinect’s desirability in the mind’s of consumers on the same platform as those devices. In other words, the CRAZE for Kinect will be just as big as the iPad or the iPhone 4 – EVERYBODY wants one so get excited about it. Does it makes sense? No, but I think that is the mind control initiative they are trying to perform here.

18. DarkElfa

These bunny slippers will sell more magazine subscriptions than Macaroni and Cheese will this year.

19. JPickford

I have an ipad. I’m more likely to buy a second, third and fourth* ipad than a Kinect. No idea why he’s making the comparison but it’s a poor one.

*My family keep nicking it. If I could afford it we’d have one each.

20. Dralen

He’s talking out of his ass.

21. Eregol

I seriously doubt anything will outsell the iPad.

Not possible.

22. DaMan

will be funny if it performs that well now. can’t see it being that successful though.

23. The Hindle

There are rumours that MS are spending upwards of £200m on marketing this so yea if so it wont fail.