Move releases in UK and US today – video of full retail kit unboxing

Friday, 17th September 2010 13:55 GMT By Patrick Garratt

movehand

PlayStation Move finally releases in the UK today. We received our retail units from Sony this morning. Hit the link for hot unboxing action.

As you’ll see, we got the Motion Controller itself, the Navigation Controller, a few games and the Charging Station.

The system is now on sale. Play’s got the Motion Controller for £30, the Navigation Controller for £18 and the official Charging Station for another £18.

The Move Starter Pack, which includes the Motion Controller, the Eye and a demo disc is on Play for £45.

We got three games in the pack from Sony this morning. Sports Champions was one of them; it’s on Play for £25.

Have a watch. The buttons are amazing.

1. Joe Anderson

Got mine today too, exciting.

2. Joe Anderson

That’s one of the best unboxings ever “wait there I’m going to get a knife” haha classic.

3. Erthazus

I like how it looks but i need better games. Just games and i will buy it, without them no buy NEVER.

@1 And what you are going to do with it right now? What games did you bought for launch? =\

4. Joe Anderson

@3 I got sent the same ones as Pat, Sports Champions, Kung Fu Rider and Start the Party. I’ve also got hold of Tumble and Flight Control from PSN.

5. Pysk

Download the “Beat Sketcher” demo from PSN, it’s pretty interesting.

6. David Sarkisjan

Kung Fu Rider is horrible, apparently.

7. mington

i want to see the shooty shooting game, thats the only one i’m interested in

BA just sent me a compensation cheque for 490pounds for canceling my flight home from NY, which made absolutely no difference to our holiday as we just got a flight home one hour earlier and got upgraded! (yes, i am that jammy)

Should i save for a deposit on a house, or blow it on GAMING PERIPHERALS???

honestly though, if i saw the shooting game bundle i might possibly get it, possibly.

8. DrDamn

I got Sports Champions and Tumble with mine. Not tried SC yet just had a blast on Tumble. The precision thing gets banged on about a lot by Sony but it’s really quite tangible over a Wii-mote in stuff like Tumble. Smooth, precise – great to control. Good example of a game type really made workable by this sort of controller too.

9. Johnny Cullen

I got the Nav Controller and Sports Champions last night.

But no Move itself.

It’ll show up today though (it better). Might just get the Gold Edition of Resident Evil 5 when in town later tonight.

10. Dannybuoy

Well I got mine yesterday and did my own unboxing video. But didn’t upload it in the end because I thought it was pointless ;-)

11. CptKurk

I thought only old people with cramps move from Britain to France. Maybe hardcore gamers’ wrist joints age prematurely.

12. Harry

Kung Fu Rider – played the demo. Utter crap.

Racquet Sports – typical Ubisoft Wii shovelware. Rubbish, with very little feeling of control.

Sports Champions – despite odd event selection – is actually pretty good, especially the table tennis.

13. orakaa

Got my PS Move since last Tuesday (earlier release in France), and got Sports Champions with it.

I tried all the demos and most of them are interesting to try, as they all seem to show different possible use of the Move (I liked the handling of “The Shoot” and was quite surprised of it, although the game in itself is crappy).

But, to me, the only games worth buying so far are “Sports Champions” (very good, especially the ping pong, to me), and “Tumble” (very precise, and quite addictive… and it ONLY cost €10/around £8).

I am also quite eager to play Resident Evil 5 and Heavy Rain with the Move.

14. Michael O’Connor

Got mine… but now I can’t find my damn PlayStation Eye camera! RAAAAWWWWRRR!

Edit: Oh hai! There you are! Tucked under my gigantic arcade stick. Go figure.

15. scuz

Me and my flat mate bashed through all the demo’s on PSN last night and the best one was Start the party, solid fun party game.

Best bit is the character creation, pull a silly face, make a ridiculous noise and every time its your turn you see your silly avatar and hear the silly noise – Hilarity ensues.

Tumble was excellent also, really intuitive and cheap. Sports Champions is definitely worth £25, I’m glad they went for that price point.

Beat sketcher didn’t want to work, kung fu rider was hideous, shooter had no redeeming features, TV superstar was took the stinking turd biscuit though.

16. ranksshabba

Is okay, very much like a Wii controller but with greater accuracy, Table Tennis seemed more response and tracked the controller’s rotation much more than the Wii-mote.

Plus of course the visuals are HD and current gaming standards rather than Xbox1 / Ps2 / Nintendo Wii levels.

Quite a few people in the UK got their’s delivered from a pre-order on Wednesday morning (15th) this week. I know I did!

17. Dannybuoy

You have Game to thank for shipping before official launch. Gord bless um

18. TerryWogan

It’s always interesting when a news site gets free promo stuff.

19. NiceFellow

@18 yeah, but it’s nothing on giving an entire arena hall full of ‘neutral’ journos and the like a complete free system… right?

20. mington

I think everyone in the TGS Sony conference got given a Move

They’re all at it

21. mington

Do you wax your knuckles?

22. TerryWogan

I mean, a news site though. We’re not even getting an objective look at Move here. It’s not being reviewed. It’s being advertised. As news. At least the freebies serve some sort of purpose when they’re getting graded by a critic, this is just one step up from a press release.

We’ll send you free stuff if you post it on your site. That’s all this is. The only winners are the person doing the unboxing and the people getting their brand out there. We’re just here to munch the shit and possibly spend real money on this thing.

In fact, I’ve had it with this site. I used to like it, but it is essentially an endless stream of re-written press releases (a lot of which aren’t even re-written now I think about it) and “news” reported from other gaming sites. Copying a news article from CVG and putting “according to a report on CVG” in it isn’t journalism. Awful.

“According to a post on NeoGAF.”
    “According to a BBC report.” etc.

People sitting at their desk all day waiting for things to land in their inbox isn’t news reporting.

23. mington

Yeah, well, Chris Evans shits all over your breakfast show

24. TerryWogan

Yeah, well, the nofollow tags are doing your SEO campaign absolutely no help whatsoever.

25. Patrick Garratt

Sorry you don’t like it, Terry. Hope you find something better.

26. mington

Yeah, well, the 900 autoblogs are

27. TerryWogan

Do you not care to comment on why you might’ve been sent free stuff and furthermore why you decided to post it on here? Did you feel obligated to post a relevant story because you were sent free stuff?

I mean, there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with taking free stuff off PRs, but it’s when you do a little dance for them that things start to become a little fishy.

28. cookiejar

Just got mine and love it so far. Very precise as I expected, and not that much room needed either. Very happy.

29. Patrick Garratt

I get sent a lot of free stuff by publisher PR because people like you read this site. I posted the video because Move’s out today and I thought you might like to see it.

30. TerryWogan

You didn’t post the video because you felt obliged to? Out of guilt? I mean, they’ve sent you some expensive kit for a reason – it’d be mean to just keep it and not give it any coverage, wouldn’t it? Or because you’re worried if you don’t post it on the site, they won’t send you stuff any more? I’m not suggesting that you’re either, but they’re two possibilities. And this is why you shouldn’t accept free stuff. Objectivity goes out of the window.

Are you telling me that you didn’t get an email from that friendly PR guy saying “Hi mate, we’d really appreciate it if you gave it some coverage matey buddy mate. Please mate. Cheers mate! Bye chum!” etc?

I used to get that shit all of the time and it made me feel terrible when I ignored my free copy of “Shite Darts Simulator 3″ or whatever.

31. DSB

If you knew how much shit they send out to people with far less hits than PatGar up there, you wouldn’t be running your mouth like that.

I know someone who ran a small insiginificant gaming site, and he got plastered with all kinds of special editions and debug versions of various consoles.

Sony probably send out a million Moves to everyone and anyone with a website without breaking a sweat. And they won’t be studying what they do with them in any detail.

32. TerryWogan

I wouldn’t go that far, DSB, but yeah, I know all about it. And of course they study what they do with them you fool. Especially if you’re a small timer. If you don’t review a game they send you, or “post some coverage”, the supply soon dries up, believe me. We’re talking about individual PR people here with jobs on the line. They have sales targets and traffic targets. They need as much coverage as possible. If you don’t give them the coverage, they’ll send that copy of LBP2 to someone else’s site. They might dish them out a bit at first, but they do have a limited supply and eventually they’ll stop sending stuff if you’re not playing the game.

33. DSB

So why the corruption charges? :P

34. Patrick Garratt

For the record, I didn’t even ask Sony for the unit, and the PR guys there never asked for any coverage on it. There’s no obligation and there’s no “guilt”. They send this stuff to me so I can play PS3 games and write about them. Both by PS3s were “free” as well. And my two 360s. And my Wii. And my PSP go. And the endless stream of software I get. It’s just par for the course. There’s nothing “fishy” about it. I know it can seem like a perk, but unless publisher PR sent out press samples, we wouldn’t be able to write about them, or make videos, or whatever.

They give me this stuff in the hope I’ll write about it. It’s PR. There’s no conspiracy, I’m afraid.

35. TerryWogan

I’m not calling it a conspiracy, Pat. I appreciate your honesty, but what you’ve said is exactly the problem:

“They give me this stuff in the hope I’ll write about it.”

The same thing used to happen to me, and it made me feel guilty as hell if “Lovely Alison PR Woman” has sent me another game that I’m ignoring.

You also start drowning in games, and they lose their value. You can no longer give a genuinely objective opinion because your hard-earned didn’t go into paying for the thing. SEGA Superstars Tennis is bloody good fun for a bit if you get it for free, but for £40? I’d be livid.

Needless to say, I don’t play this “games journalism” PR game any more. Bleh.

36. DSB

I don’t agree with that Terry. It all depends on how you play that game.

You don’t get very far burning your bridges, and I’m sure everyone can agree that games writers spend far too much time hanging out with PR, but it’s not the time that’s the problem, it’s the buddy relationship that tends to occur.

Some writers actually have backbone, though, and usually PR people are smart enough to realize that pissing off people with backbone, is not a wise business decision.

And so it’s up to the individual journalist to play his cards. I think it’s obvious when a site supports a product to excess, and that just makes me not want to read it. I’ll never read a PS3 post on Kotaku for example.

I haven’t seen any bias here, though. And unpacking a Move is not pointless content for people who are excited about it.

37. TerryWogan

I haven’t seen any bias here either. I’m not accusing VG247 or Pat of bias.

38. Michael O’Connor

@35 Yes, they gave him free stuff in the hope that he’d write about it. He wrote (and recorded) something about it because it interests him and he wants to share it with fellow gamers.

If there’s one thing I can safely say about Pat, its that he’s just as much a gamer as the rest of us. He gets just as excited about the big released as we do, and he gets just as blown away by surprise announcements as the rest of us.

But he’s also a journalist. You’re criticising him for DOING HIS JOB! I for one was interested in seeing what comes in the box, and with this being the video game website I visit first above all others, this is the video I saw first.

You’re making mountains out of molehills mate.

“You also start drowning in games, and they lose their value. You can no longer give a genuinely objective opinion because your hard-earned didn’t go into paying for the thing.”

But VG247 doesn’t even do reviews, so your points is rather moot.

39. TerryWogan

I was wondering how long it’d take the VG247 mascot to arrive. Meh, I like Pat and I used to like this site, but it all seems a little bit lazy these days. Press releases and PR hoop-jumping. Maybe I’m wrong. I hope I’m wrong. But hell, it’s my opinion and I’m letting it be heard. It’d be pretty pointless having a comments section if everyone just said “hey, great post bro” all day.

“As a journalist myself, I get plenty of games for free, but that’s most definitely never stopped me from saying if I think they’re shit or not.”

No, I agree. But it does cause you to lose sight of what value for money is because you’re not paying for them. Simple, undeniable fact. This is one of the many reasons I gave up on games journalism.

40. theevilaires

Nice opening, going out soon to pick my set up. I’m going crazy this week with Halo Reach,LIVE,and now MOVE. There goes my weekend :D

41. DSB

I think it was a wise decision to get out then, Terry.

I’m not passing any judgement, but I write for music magazines, and while record companies are a lot less aggressive in trying to corrupt the press compared to the games industry, they’re still not thrilled when you slam their stuff.

I’ve had everything thrown at me from death threats (including actual rewards for anyone who clocked me) to weeping letters from bands, to threats from major national publishers, but in the end all you have is your ability to write and the will to do so.

If they want to kill me, let them come. If they beg for sympathy, I can’t help them. If they want to cut off our access, we’ll buy our own and write it up anyway.

You have to be a spiteful motherfucker. The only reward you’re gonna get is a fistful of pennies, and the opportunity to write the copy that makes the whole world sing, and the young girls cry :P

42. Michael O’Connor

@39 Indeed. And we have just as much right to reply in disagreement.

Throwing brainless insults into your post doesn’t really help achieve anything though.

43. TerryWogan

“You have to be a spiteful motherfucker. The only reward you’re gonna get is a fistful of pennies, and the opportunity to write the copy that makes the whole world sing, and the young girls cry.”

That’s easier said than done when your editor at GAME MAGAZINE X wants you to re-write the review more leniently because a PR is threatening to pull advertising spend and stop sending free games. What do you do then? Tell him to fuck off and lose your freelancing gig?

44. Michael O’Connor

“No, I agree. But it does cause you to lose sight of what value for money is because you’re not paying for them. Simple, undeniable fact.”

For you, maybe. Never had that problem myself.

45. DSB

@43 Yeah, that’s fucked.

Personally I wouldn’t have gotten into writing in the first place, if I hadn’t known that my editor was every bit as determined to keep it honest as I was.

Of course, those are a lot harder to find in the gaming press. I’m just as pissed off about that as you are.

I’m fortunate enough to have a background in a different line of work, so I guess I’d just stick to that instead.

46. Patrick Garratt

Terry: I know how it can look. But seriously, the huge majority of PR I deal with is really professional; they send me stuff and never ask for coverage. Sometimes there are “suggestions,” but if I’m being honest I’d only think about doing something a PR suggested if it made sense for the audience. That’s why you only see relevant ads on here, etc.

Michael’s right, by the way. I was going to open it anyway and I thought I might as well film it. The whole point of the site, really, was to be something I wanted to look at personally. This just seemed relevant.

But I really do thank you for your opinion. You’re right: it has changed. I suppose we are more “official” now. That’s why I didn’t host those Square videos earlier. I do have a working relationship with those guys, and it’s their copyright.

I really hope our standard of journalism does improve, and that’s certainly the intent. Right now we’re just in the mode of telling you what’s going on, and I believe we do a good job of that. We’ll get better as our resources grow, and I genuinely hope you stick around while we try to create the service I believe is needed by all of us.

47. get2sammyb

Back on topic: spent all day playing Sports Champions and love it!

48. Aimless

get2sammyb is clearly Pat’s PR-pleasing alternate account.

49. spiderLAW

I believe Terry’s arguments hold no validity what-so-ever. He is complaining about a video games blog site posting video games news. This “article’s” purpose was to show this sites followers (which I think are mostly gamers) the unveiling of a much anticipated peripheral/accessories/controller/gadget thingamajig. What is wrong with that? Obviously this site is meant to be at a personal level where Pat and his writers try to be seen as equals to us all and not all high and mighty (like IGN and Gamespot)
    I for one am glad that Mr. Garrat took his time to show us his free PS Move kit. I won’t be able to afford one for another month or so, and Patrick’s post lets me see the device before the rest of California gets to. There is nothing to complain about.
    Actually, by reading most of Terry’s arguments, it seems to me that he is just seeking some attention or has been having a rough week and needs some place to let off steam…Either way, I think Pat has been very polite with Terry’s rough criticism.

@Terry. I suggest that if you do not like it here, try making your own site and see if you can be successful at it. I would wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed. Or, just try and find a site that is better suited for finding the gaming news you desire.

I don’t even like Patrick because I think he is a punk-ass, bitch-ass, crip-ass, trick-ass hoe but I love his site. Just kidding about the name calling Pat…..please don’t ban me lol.

50. IRISHBULL

My favorite line was that the lanyard was for if you push it up too far and lose it.

51. Dr.Ghettoblaster

How’s EyePet anyone played that one yet?

52. Gekidami

Did you get the Halo Reach press kit, Pat? With the case and the pad.

53. theevilaires

I’ll let you know later Dr.G btw where have you been on PSN lately man

54. Patrick Garratt

@52 – Nope :( Still haven’t got a copy of it.

55. Michael O’Connor

Just spent the last two hours playing the archery mode in Sports Champions.

Sold. Bloody brilliant. And this is with only a rather simple game at its core. I can’t wait to see how it gets applied to more complete game.

@51 I’m going to give the demo a bash in a minute, and then I’ll let you know.

56. cookiejar

Just played a couple demos – Beat Sketchers and Tumble. Both pretty good, but Tumble really was decent, will get the full game of that.

57. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@53, family issues going on, haven’t had a chance to log on in past month or so. Be back on soon though, things are getting better.

@55 Good to hear man. Did you play archery with one move or two move controllers? I heard it’s much more impressive with two, but just wondering how it is with one. Thanks for the eyepet update too.

I’m def excited about move, probably won’t be able to get it till Christmas though due to family reasons. Eye Pet looks like it’d be great for my 3 year old son though!

58. Stephany Nunneley

More videos with knife blades popping out really fast should be posted on here.

59. Michael O’Connor

@57 Just the one. Will have to wait until next week to get two. It’s pretty awesome even with just the one though. You actually have to reach behind your back to get your arrows. *laughs*

Eyepets is… well, Eyepets. if you like the original, you’ll like this. It’s cute, funny, a little limited, but it has some nice ideas. Doesn’t replace a real pet any day of the way though. =P

60. Redh3lix

Any chance you can save pic’s from Beat Sketchers to your PS3′s HD?

61. sg1974

Shame that the Metro newspaper in UK said in an article that Move launches today in US but has no EU release date yet. Sony must be pissed

62. sg1974

PS You dont need USB cable in box because you already have one when you bought a PS3.

I want to know why they couldn’t fit the power brick in the charger, its probably mostly empty anyway. Most people hate power bricks.

63. Michael O’Connor

@60 Just check Red, and yes, you can save your pictures to the hard drive.

64. notpill

the move controller is actually sold out at amazon uk. wow.

65. lizhiyong49

Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new season approaching, click in. Let’s facelift bar!
    ===== http://www.ashops.us ====