HD Vanquish story trailer blows up TGS

Thursday, 16th September 2010 11:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

vanquish9

“Story”? Is it a story about shooting a lot of things really quickly?

Seems as though there’s a bit more to Platinum’s Vanquish than shooting everything. There’s a plot! Someone’s blown up San Francisco, New York’s next, yada.

Still looks mental. Features the greatest name for a powersuit in history. Has things exploding. Features sliding.

Buy it for 360 and PS3 on October 22.

1. Erthazus

Story will be the only thing that will suck in this game. But… Gameplay will be incredible.

2. Blerk

From the demo I’m pretty sure that the boss fights will suck too. From my point of view, anyway. I was enjoying it up until the boss arrived.

3. OlderGamer

I still just don’t understand what people see in this game.

4. Blerk

It’s Gears on rollerskates with robots. And more irritating boss fights.

It’s quite spectacular to watch at times.

5. DaMan

it isn’t similar to Gears in any way, aside from that you can also use cover. it’s akin to Lost Planet and Crimson Sea.

6. Michael O’Connor

@2 You mean, up to the point where some actual skill was required to advance?

I know, how dare those damn devs..!

7. Gheritt White

Superb production values – if I was a fan of Gears of War then I’d definitely pick this up…

…but I’m not. So I probably won’t.

8. OlderGamer

I don’t know Blerks description works for me.

But I also agree it shares a lot with Lost Planet, maybe Crimson Sea. I really didn’t flip over them either, tho LP one wasn’t too bad.

Its just a very shiny well done JP action shooter.

Not my cup of tea is all.

9. Michael O’Connor

@7 It has absolutely nothing in common with Gears of War.

It has a cover system, but that’s about it. And cover systems aren’t exactly a Gears exclusive concept.

10. Erthazus

@9 but they redefined that concept.

11. Blerk

I’m struggling to see how it’s not like Gears. You run and duck and cover and shoot, like Gears. The skates and the slowmo are different and it has robots instead of beasts. Otherwise….?

I have played both, you know!

12. DaMan

Heh, I presume one of the reasons some people have trouble playing it is because they’re doing it in the same way as Gears. the controls, the speed at which you can move, making you practically invincible (more so with the boost thing, unlike those rushes in Gears), the alternative bullet time all make those two games as similar as Dante’s Inferno and Devil May Cry.

also, Pat can you please fix this bloody ‘you’re posting too quickly’ thing?

13. Michael O’Connor

@10 So? A game having a cover system doesn’t make it “like Gears of War”

The game plays *nothing* like Gears of War. Or Lost Planet.

In fact, it’s the most original shooter I’ve played in years, and quite possibly the most polished too.

It’s brought skill back to a genre that has been constantly castrated over the years with recharging health bars and cover system that have done nothing but turn these types of games into skill-less borefests.

14. Gadzooks!

I also don’t get the Gears comparisons. It plays nothing at all like Gears, in the same way that Forza plays absolutely nothing like Burnout. Both racing games, but worlds apart.

I do get a ‘Lost Planet on steroids’ vibe though.

15. Aimless

@11 Observe.

16. Michael O’Connor

@14 “I do get a ‘Lost Planet on steroids’ vibe though.”

Alongside a heavy dose of acid, methadone, amphetamine and heroin. And then some.

@15 People called me hardcore on the forums and the site for breezing through Normal with little trouble. God, I could only *dream* of being as good as that video.

My brain can’t even keep up with the speed that person is moving at!

17. Blerk

@15, well I certainly wasn’t playing it like that! Nor, indeed, would I ever want to. :-|

18. DaMan

it’s a more stylish and deep version of games like Lost Planet, Crimson Sea and the such in the sense that you face craploads of enemies and even the way you fight them (unlike say, DW/Dmc). the controls are also relatively the same, they’re an extension of those titles.

acid doesn’t belong on that list btw. /s

19. Aimless

@17 The person playing is doing a speed run, obviously you wouldn’t play the entire game like that first time around.

The point was that you aren’t really supposed to be staying in cover and peeking out, it’s more there to vault over in slow motion before rocket kicking a giant robot in the face.

20. Kerplunk

@10 Cover has not been redefined since it was first seen. It’s still cover. Epic just chose to make the cover mechanic more prominent in their game.

It’s like the Avatar movie. It didn’t re-invent 3D or special effects – it just made them central to that movie. 3D is still 3D, special effects are still special effects. Bad acting is still bad acting. :)

21. YoungZer0

@6: I would say it has less to do with skill but rather to do with your reaction and alertness, since there is too much shit going on on the screen.

However, the game plays great and i’m ready to accept the fact that the story is just another russians are evil and ugly pile of shit.

22. Kuwabara

a bit of deadspace

23. YoungZer0

Definitely not.

24. xino

story is a piece of trash.
    trailer not all that, but japanese fan made trailer is still better than this.

25. Michael O’Connor

@21 Yes, because “reaction” and “alertness” aren’t skills.

26. osric90

There are tastes for everything…but this game is going to rock. Plot may not be a Kojima work, but I’m sure it’s going to be fun, easy to follow and rock solid (RE, anyone?). Only thing I’m not liking from the demo is that there’s no option to manually switch shoulders when aiming and no way to walk or move slowly when moving the stick lightly…nothing else. This is a 10/10 game I’m sure. Music is very Hans Zimmer like, graphics are clear, soft and great, Elena makes my woody rise up… What else do you want? I hope they reconsider the price though…it’s too expensive.

27. NeoSquall

The game is sublime, but I hope there will be a voice selection option in this game, because the voices are the only thigs I can’t stand right now.