The Last Guardian – new shots stop clocks

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 16:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

last guardian 2

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Famitsu‘s put up new direct-feed shots of The Last Guardian.

These are from the mag’s latest issue.

The Team ICO title is out in force at TGS this week, with it expected to be a big player tomorrow at Sony’s TGS presser.

It will be shown behind closed doors to press by Fumito Ueda.

Quite frankly, why anyone wouldn’t want this astounds us. It just looks fantastic.

No date yet for the PS3 title, but we hope that changes in the morning.

1. No_PUDding

Heh. This looks pretty ‘wow’.

Well done. I am now excited.

2. The Hindle

Im speechless, look at the graphics wow.

3. Erthazus

OOwww….

I think my PS3 will crash when it will play this beast.

4. Gekidami

Small pics are small. :/

5. daytripper

awesome! i love games like this, fuck call of duty.

6. Psychotext

Ugly, ugly Catratdragon.

7. Bleak Harvest

Unf.

8. Blerk

Awesome sauce! Looks more Ico than SotC.

9. Johnny Cullen

Dont bash the catratdragon, PT! The catratdragon bashes you!

10. No_PUDding

It looks straggly now, like a stray catratdragon.

And that’s awesome.

11. dirigiblebill

Sounds like an Auden reference :)

12. daytripper

i want to stroke it and tell it everythings going to be ok

13. DrDamn

The two smaller thin shots are Ico and SoTC aren’t they?

14. The Hindle

I think it would go down well in some stew and some sauce…..

15. Blerk

@13: Yup.

16. Retroid

DO WANT

17. Kerplunk

Given the graphical prowess of the development team, I’m sure they could have made the creature as sugary sweet and aestheticly pleasing as some sidekick character from a Pixar movie.

With the team’s unprecedented pedigree for delivering a meaningful sense of attachment to their games’ protagonists, I’ve every confidence that if the creature isn’t ‘oooh pwetty pwetty’ then there’s a good reason for it and the game will be all the better for it.

18. Happy Hardon Harry

I’ll maybe get this when next gen starts and the PS3 can be bought for £40.

19. onlineatron

My only issue is with how washed out the colours look. Like some one has whacked the contrast up to full.

Some more vibrant greens and blues could go a long way.

Like Killzone though it will probably look phenomenal in motion!

20. Nozz

The art style is gorgeous!
    It definitely has more of an ICO vibe than SotC, ahhh can’t wait!

21. zoopdeloop

@19 Most of these shots are from footage showing a specific exterior environment.It’s supposed to be that “hazy” The colours aren’t exactly washed out.
    ICO and SOTC had the same “hazy” look.There’s a meaning behind it.
    Notice the first shot which shows how much more vibrant colours look(interior environment).

We may have seen ported games from 3rd party devs a bit washed out on the ps3 but that’s not the case when it comes to games from 1st party devs or games developed on the ps3 :)

22. No_PUDding

No I agree with onlineatron, and before, they did look less hazy.

Although, you defintely meant cranked the contrast down. It’s very low contrast.

@18 What I love is even people like yourself can be unified with less inflammatory individuals in thought that it will be worthwhile to get around to at some point.

Not every game is like that.

23. mathare92

Where the f*** is Roger Ebert now?! :)

24. zoopdeloop

@22 If you look at the shot showing the Colossi from SOTC it looks exactly as hazey as the TLG shots.No difference.These shots really can’t justify how the game will look or feel like besides that they’re supposed to look kind of hazey.It’s all in the concept of the game as well as the sentiment it passes to the gamer.

I remember myself watching shots from SOTC before watching any trailers or play the game and i wasn’t impressed.I was even puzzled since i read a lot of articles praising it for it’s visuals but when i saw it in action it totally turned me around.

25. No_PUDding

The point is achieving a successful hazy look, has been done this generation. It doesn’t look brilliantly different, that’s all.

We’ll see how it turns out.

26. onlineatron

Yeah, my bad. I bow to your superior AV knowledge! :D

27. onlineatron

The hazy, misty look (much like Silent Hill on PS1) was originally done due to the PS2s graphical limitations.

I don’t really think it adds to TLG and think it should be toned down slightly.

28. zoopdeloop

The point is it’s not a technical flaw by Team Ico or by limitations of the hardware they’re working on.They intentionally want it to be that way which along with the art style,story e.t.c really makes a difference from others who achieved a successful hazy look.
    We have to see it in action…

29. No_PUDding

Well even then, for Shadow they strived to avoid it.

The draw distance is brilliant. They basically render it 2D somehow, I just don’t know how. It’s like they made the 3D landscape a sprite, because the actual 3D expression didn’t need to exist at such a distance.

30. frostquake

Love the Look, Love the way the poor little monster looks sickly and sad like he needs help, which I think is the purpose!

31. Callum

fuck right off some of that fur has to be pre-rendered!
    Nah, seriously, an amazing looking game. well worth getting a PS3 for possibly maybe prehaps if they drop the price a wee bit for Xmass…