Halo: Reach online campaign co-op no go for 4Gb 360 owners, Microsoft working on fix

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 11:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

haloreach

Just bought a copy of Halo: Reach and looking for some campaign co-op? Not if you have a 4Gb 360 you don’t.

It’s been discovered that owners of the 4Gb Xbox 360 Arcade models can not play online campaign co-op in Halo: Reach.

According to Nukezilla, when players try to join, this is the message that greets them:

“One or more players do not have the hard drive required for this game type.”

According to the FAQ on Reach, it’s down to users not having “a certified Xbox 360 hard drive attached to their Xbox 360 console”: the 4Gb storage is internal memory.

Memory sticks aren’t said to help the matter either, and with MS not releasing the 250Gb HDD on its own until later this month, it leaves players a bit stuck.

It’s thought Halo 3: ODST had the same problem.

Microsoft says the problem is “temporary” and that it is “quickly working to resolve it,” but couldn’t give a rough timeline as to when that would be.

It’s thought that campaign co-op is the only feature affected, and does not affect other modes like standard multiplayer or Firefight.

Halo: Reach launched on Tuesday night, with it getting an overwhelmingly positive critical response in its reviews.

Thanks, EG.

1. Gheritt White

Was up ’til 3am playing this last night – really is the best Halo yet AFAICT.

2. thefaulkness

The server was down in the uk yesterday
    I couldnt do matchmaking :(

3. JonFE

/facepalm

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m loving Reach so far, but this is “shoot-yourself-in-the-foot” material…

4. Blerk

lol! Good work, MS testers! :-D

5. Nozz

I was so tempted to pick up reach and the arcade 360 yesterday.. glad i didn’t.

How this got through the testing phase is pretty confusing.

6. Johnny Cullen

I wub Reach.

7. Marcus Gv

I’ve noticed there is no savegame data on my hard drive for this. I assume my savegame data is in the cloud?

8. thefaulkness

one small and not pivotal part of a huge game is not working for a small percentage of people
    ps3 fanboys: LOL! MICROSHIT!!1!!eleven!!

9. mington

Also something i found, there’s a challenge to complete 9 levels on hard. But you have to do the whole level all in one sitting (which it doesn’t state), if you save mid level and complete it later it doesn’t register

10. Kerplunk

@8 What fanboy remarks are you responding to? The 7 comments above yours don’t quite seem to fit your outburst.

11. thefaulkness

a simple prediction my man, a simple prediction

12. OlderGamer

Looks like another tool, alt or simple name change at work.

Label this one a troll with a capital T.

btw this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, look at his posting in general. This one is gonna be well loved.

13. cookiejar

Fail.

Good game though. Actually, the most time I’ve spent on a Halo game.

14. Kerplunk

@11 Well, when you market a product and covet the world’s attention, claiming it’s “the biggest game in history” then, should anything be awry with your product, you should expect the same level of response to those issues.

15. mojo

as far as my imagination of testing and quality control goes this should be covered by the testers?! i mean at least one model of each sku should be in thise tests, or not?

16. NiceFellow

Can’t be testers, otherwise how could there be a message in the game to handle it?

I mean, it’s not like a huge thing, but it is a bit of a snafu to release your prime franchise unable to fully work on your entry level SKU.

I guess the other possibility is Bungie were working on the engine/caching elements unaware a 4GB SKU would even exist until too late in the day so that, again, it was delay launch or launch and patch later.

17. Len

I imagine they are furiously adding it to their TRC’s as we speak! ;)

18. itsucks

Where are the first 24hors sales number so i can rub it in the turd faces of pieceofshit3 shoddy hardware own3(d)rs.

19. Crysis

i only have a 20 gbb hdd (about 13 after system shit) oddly my 360 won’t start with my hdd in, i have to plug it in as it’s running which restarts it, if i turn it on with the hdd in, i get a system error screen & the red lights (4th quadrant highlighted), only happened after my m8 knocked it around by accident, you would think one of the most profitable companies in the world would be able to find the fine line between profit & quality, apparentally not though =[
    I hope the few cents you saved on each console was well worth having the return of 1/3 of each of them &
    legally forced to provide an extra 2 years warranty on your shoddy product.
    (on a side note, itsucks is legally retarded, 1st of, he’s an 360 fanboy, only kids 14 & under are allowed to be fanboys, secondly he calls a ps3 shoddy hardware when only 1 in 50 fail, which is common in electrical appliances, compared to the 1 in 3 with 360, im meant to believe that the new model isn’t much of an improvement either, also his name proves my final point, may i ask why you troll against ps3 owners?-is it because you have 2nd thoughts on your own choice & continue to troll to compensate for your lack of faith, or is it as i said earlier that you are plain legally retarded? why do i bother, you’re too dumb to listen to reason, go jack off ontop of ur 360, hope the semen leaks onto ur motherboard & it overheats & RRoD on you.)

Don’t get me wrong, i don’t hate the 360, i hate how lazily MS designed the 360 & their ways of profiting of us with their overpriced accesories & subscription service.

20. jeremycafe

“No, the existence of the message specifically picking this up indicates it has to have been known about prior to launch. Whether it got picked up too late and MS wanted to go ahead and patch later or whether MS hoped it wouldn’t be picked up as an issue I don’t know.”

That may not be the case. It is common practice as a developer to put in error checking in every possible spot to avoid crashes — even when no errors are expected. There are many times in my code where I will handle an error but never had anticipated anything going wrong with that specific code block.

But, who knows because both cases could be the truth.

21. Kuwabara

xbox fails again loll

22. frostquake

Wife picked this up for me yesterday, It was spinning so much in the drive, I thought a Jet was taking off in my House!! I installed it to the Hard Drive..Quite as snake in the grass!! I highly recommend an install!

23. Psychotext

Probably got yourself an unbalanced disc. Mine seems pretty normal (My Forza disc on the other hand… makes me want to punch kittens.)

24. DrDamn

Didn’t an install actually make Halo 3 slower at loading? I had a disc read error tonight after completing mission 5. Took disc out – was fine if a little bit hot – put it back in and restarted and all went well.

Apparently the no HDD thing is a restriction on ODST co-op too. I expect it will be patched for the 4Gb systems but not for those with no decent amount of storage at all.

25. Psychotext

You are correct about the Halo 3 loading, though it’s not the case for Reach.

26. Callum

How does the install to HDD work then, is it a complete install so you don’t need a disk? Or does it just dump a bunch of data onto the HDD for the faster read times?

27. LOLshock94

The comic’s creator, Rob Liefeld, expressed some concern recently about whether, with all his Green Lantern duties, Ryan Reynolds would still be willing and able to commit to Deadpool. This interview at the LA Times’ Hero Complex Blog ought to put his fears to rest: Reynolds seems as stoked about the role as ever. Enthusiasm completely un-curbed.

28. JonFE

@Callum:

It’s the latter. Installation creates an full image of the disk on the HDD and, in order to play, you place the disk in the drive to have its authenticity checked and then all disk access is re-directed to the HDD instead of the disk itself.