Confirmed – ICO, Shadow of the Colossus getting PS3 HD updates

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 03:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ico

The word you are looking for is “hallelujah”. That word again, is “halleujah”.

This week’s Famitsu has confirmed that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus will finally be getting HD versions for PlayStation 3.

The mag’s low on details, and has two separate listings for both of them, probably meaning they’ll be released separately in Japan. It’s been much-rumoured that the two would be bundled together collection.

Dates for both are TBA, according to Famitsu.

The dream is reality

The news confirms a year’s worth of speculation.

Tean ICO boss Fumito Ueda told Eurogamer at TGS last year he’d like to see a collection of both ICO and Shadow in a similar vein to the God of War Collection, before telling Kotaku the possibility would be raised at a Sony meeting.

Then back in May, VG247 was told Sony would release the collection, with a further report putting it down for Q1 2011.

Last weekend, it was discovered the pack was up for pre-order on US retailer Wal-Mart’s website, before a EG report said it would be out sometime between March and April next year for “around £24.99″.

The report also said it’d be available to pre-order at online retailers within the next couple of days.

But it’s happening, alas separately in Japan by the looks of it. Celebrate, party people.

ICO originally launched in 2002 in Europe, followed by Shadow of the Colossus in 2006, both for PS2.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. Bleak Harvest

Brilliant. Will import both.

2. Monk

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH !
    I never played either of them, and after watching the gameplay
    of SotC, I really disappointment !

Now, FUCKING YEAAAAH !

3. Johnny Cullen

Yeaaah boi!

4. chronoss2

God bless you UEDA!

5. osric90

Hallellujah. Now I can sleep normally…oh…I was worried I would never be able to play my ICO or SOTC again since I sold them (when in need) as some of you know. Now it’s time to get PoP Trilogy HD, Silent Hill Classics HD Collection and maybe, just maybe Metal Gear Solid HD Anthology (1, VR, 2S, 3S, 3S2DISK) and Resident Evil 4 HD Move Edition.

6. Madgame

Yeah! Score one for the good guys!

7. KAP

UPDATE: These are scans from Famitsu of ICO/SOTC Here

This was the one article i was waiting for VG.

Shadow Of The Colossus
    &
    Confirmed

In the same sentence!

SOTC is the one game out of 100s of games ive played that i can put in the top five greatest games ive ever played, EVER!!!!!

So the fact this now is actually reality, FUCK! – Its the only word that can discribe what im feeling right now!

Oh and those who always leave the comments of “never played it before” or it looks shit etc” … kill yourself.

8. manamana

I’m so sold on Team ICO and I really hope they have gameplay of TLG on TGS to show. Bring it to Europe Sony, asap!
    @KAP: chap, your link has far to many http’s innit. Small scans better than nothing, I guess. UPDATE: Link is fixed and mine becomes obsolete …

9. Dannybuoy

@7. I’ve never played it before. CLICK>BANG>SPLAT. I didnt own a PS or PS2 but am aware of how important these games are. To kill myself just because I’ve never played them is a bit much. A bit of light flagilation is ok, but death? Then I’d never get to play them. Thankfully I own a PS3 and I very much intend to play them.

10. KAP

Ive fixed it now mate. i avent used HTML code in years.. who ever said its like riding a virtual bike are liars.

11. manamana

^ LOL, good one.

12. Gekidami

I hope both games are on one disc for the western releases. Not much of a “Collection” otherwise.

13. Blerk

Don’t jump, Ico! :-)

Excellent news. Anyone who hasn’t played these already has to play them now. It’s the law.

14. Freek

Depends on how badly they try to gauge the fans. Two seperate releases? Could htye be full price aswell?

15. JonFE

Lovely news! As Gekidami says, hopefully both games will be released as a collection and not individually.

16. StolenGlory

The sad thing is that if they are released seperately, i’ll still be irresistably compelled to buy them regardless.

I am Team ICO’s bitch. Come home to me in 2011 baby.

17. No_PUDding

Both these games are awful abominations and Team ICO is totally overrated.

Don’t even get me started on The Last Guardian.

18. AHA-Lambda

ok time to put ico and sotc on ebay

19. Hybridpsycho

@17 Daddy issues?

20. NiceFellow

@17 – you’ve played The Last Guardian already? What’s it like? Good?

21. Erthazus