AMD and Valve team up for ATI Catalyst updates on Steam

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 21:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ati steam

Valve and AMD announced today Steam will automatically detect the latest driver updates for your AMD/ATI graphics card should you have one installed.

The first ATI Catalyst driver update available through Steam will be ATI Catalyst 10.9 later this month.

This was part of the latest Steam client update. More details on what the updated entailed can be found through the official site.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. Lord Gremlin

Wait, isn’t ATI drivers require full manual uninstall before updating?

2. weedrk

No, i’ve never done uninstall before and have had no problems.

3. rainer

You do have to uninstall it if your one of the affected.

Theres a very nasty bug in AMD drivers (go check their forums its filled with affected people) thats been around for several months and AMD have not fixed it or dont know how to.

When you install the Catalyst driver update over an existing install it kills the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) from running upon reboot even after it tells you it successfully installed the new driver and CCC.

The only reliable way to update the drivers since is to uninstall the CCC beforehand then download the individual driver components on the AMD website, update driver, then update the CCC after that.

Dont use the Catalyst driver suite, the bug is in their own installer!!!

Complete pain in the ass and AMD refuses to even acknowledge the problem so no way in hell is this a good idea with Steam.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 I was having some very frustrating issues with my Radeon 5970 – still am – and I am seriously considering getting my money back and something else. It’s bullshit really.

5. Hybridpsycho

I have the worst situation ever, I recently bought a Asus G73 Laptop. It has a 5870, in my arrogance and even though I’ve had about 5 years of constant staying away from AMD Creations (worked as a computer-technician) I made the stupid choice of finally giving AMD (ATI for those who did not know) another shot.

Turns out it’s the most affected serie ever. The gfx driver apparantly cannot work together with the bios, resulting in VSOD (Vertical Stripes of death). ATI said they’re working on a fix a few months ago…still nuthin!

After this I’m NEVER buying ATI again, it ain’t causin’ nuthin but trouble.

So, no thanks…not automatic driver updates :(

6. LarsWestergren

@Hybridpsycho

I also have a Asus G73. I was very happy with it as a gaming machine and recommended it to friends and on many forums, until a month or so ago. Starcraft 2 demanded I update my drivers to Catalyst 10.8. When I did the whole machine became unstable and froze every 5 minutes. Luckily S2 works with older drivers too, so I could downgrade and continue.

Now however, the brilliant indie titles Minecraft and Amnesia (both which I have purchased) don’t work on the G73 with drivers of any version. If I could make the money be deducted from ATI or Asus rather than the awesome indie studios I would demand a refund. As it is, I have to wait and hope ATI get their thumbs out of their behinds, so I can join in on the fun.