Warren Spector believes game industry’s in a “Golden Age”

Tuesday, 14th September 2010 17:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

warrenspector3

Warren Spector believes that due to games being available for every preference on every medium, the industry is currently in a “Golden Age”.

Speaking with Videogamer, Spector believes this because there’s something for everyone, no matter the format, whether it be a blockbuster, indie title, or social networking game.

“I think we’re in a great place, actually, I think that this is kind of a Golden Age,” he said. “I can make a Wii-exclusive game featuring Mickey Mouse. Someone else can make an all-original $100m MMO. I’ve got friends who are literally working alone on indie games that have no prospect of profit or commercial success. I’ve got guys working on iPhone games.

“There are so many ways to reach an audience now, and so many platforms. There’s downloadable stuff, Facebook games. Anybody who can’t find a way to fit into the game business, who wants to be in the game business now, or anybody who can think of a games style for which there is no market… I mean wow, you’re way more creative than I am!”

It’s not just a Golden Age for the consumer either, as he believes there’s “something for every developer to do that’s meaningful for them”.

“The thing is – by the way, I’m not saying this – but even if you think every game on Facebook is no good, hey, the stuff on the Wii is great. And if you think the stuff on the Wii is bad, go to the Independent Game Festival and look at all the stuff that’s happening there. And if you think all that’s bad, go to the App Store and buy stuff there. It’s insane.

“There’s something for everyone, which means there’s something for every developer to do that’s meaningful for them, that will ignite their passion.”

Earlier in the month, Spector gave a rousing talk at PAX telling attendees to demand more from developers and publishers, and to “vote with your dollars”.

The latest title from the man himself and his studio, Junction Point, is Epic Mickey and it’s slated for Wii sometime before the holidays hit.

1. AHA-Lambda

I dont believe an era where spector is working on mickey and not a new deus ex styled game is really a golden age >_>

2. David Sarkisjan

I believe that’s the exact reason why it truly is.

3. DSB

^^ Much agreed.

Don’t own a Wii, and I’ll probably never play it, but having Spector corrupt Mickey Mouse can only really be seen as awesome. Originality in videogames, yes please.

4. blackdreamhunk

it’s more like the death of gaming! I am willing to bet $ 1 000 deus ex is going to be another console junk!

5. Happy Hardon Harry

Golden age? Really. I think not. This industry needs to get over those games that all you do is mindlessly blowing stuff up, the type of games that are geared towards simpletons (yer Halo’s, Gear’s, Killzone’s, etc)

No wonder the gaming industry is a joke to those outside it.

6. Gheritt White

It’s certainly a lot less in flux than the ’90s, that’s for sure.

7. DSB

@6 How could it not be though? Your average development team was between 1-10 guys for much of the decade :P

EA had one guy programming 30 individual games over a year in ’88 if I recall correctly.

You still have your Levines and your Spectors though.

8. AHA-Lambda

“Certainly, the massive ammounts of money and AAA development has lead to a lot fewer chances being taken, and that’s always gonna damage any creative medium.”

i would like to hope it would mean making games like before but better made instead of 30 games to 1 guy sceanrio unfortunately we dont live in a world of what should happen =/

9. DSB

@8 Gaming today really isn’t THAT different from back then. People just remember it nostalgically. You might play 50 shovelware games, or identical platformers, before you found a good one back in the 90′s.

It’s selective memory most of the time. But certainly, it takes a lot more effort and know-how to create games today, so you simply don’t see the same volume.

People are always whining about franchises and sequels today, and yet they’ve been around since fricken Pacman and Donkey Kong :P

10. AHA-Lambda

@9 – yea i guess i’m just tired of seeing the same thing in so many games and there is definitely an aspect of dumbing down i think in games alot now (doubly so with ubisoft imo).

Then again i think my rose tinted glasses are pretty much glued on when it comes to the 90′s cos of the 3 generations of gaming i have been a part of 2 of those i was basically a kid and now i have grown older, wiser and my tastes have differed now from the ps1 days.

Nowadays i really want an enjoyable story and i have tended to play more rpgs cos of that (unfortunately 80% of all rpgs ever made are cut off for me cos i hate generic fantasy and jrpgs >_>)

11. OlderGamer

There maybe a Golden Age, but I think it can only be seen from the other side of the industry. Cause from where I sit I see a lot of Golden Crap.

This generation has some of the worst video game moments in the industries history.

Day1 DLC
    Online Fees
    Hardware Failures
    Over Saturation of Shooters
    Online games filled with gleefull prepubeciant voices

The list is nine miles long.

Gamestop would, however, agree that we are in a Golden Age.

So if there is a Golden Age it is The Golden Age of Second Hand Game Sales! Yes sir indeed.

12. thefaulkness

well we are in a golden age in some aspects

graphics
    voice acting is better (mostly)
    coverage is more widespread
    good wideworld online gaming

and the bad aspects
    DLC….all DLC
    money hungry corporations
    and finally
    WHINY ANNOYING FANBOYS AND ARSEHOLES WHO CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN AND WHINE ABOUT EVERY SINGLE LITTLE FUCKING THING
    ‘oh waaah this game doesnt have this waaaahhh I haven’t played it or even seen five minutes of it ands its going to be awful WAHHH WAAHH WAHH’
    SERIOUSLY