Goldeneye for PS3 or 360? “Never say never,” says Activision

Tuesday, 14th September 2010 09:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

goldeneye007

Activision’s Julian Widdows has said that, while it’s unlikely it will happen, the possibillty of a PS3 or 360 version of Goldeneye isn’t entirely out of the question.

“We would really hope that everyone who wants to play it will go and play it this year,” Widdows, who’s executive producer on the Wii reboot, told Videogamer.

“We’ve spent so much time and effort, personal time and effort… You know, kids have been born! There’s a list of GoldenEye babies somewhere!

“This is the console we’ve made it for.”

But hold on. There is a very unlikely, but still small chance of it appearing on HD consoles.

“Never say never,” he added. “Who knows? Things happen, don’t they, with big publishers? But for the time being it’s all about the Wii, and that’s really how we hope people will go and experience it, because that’s how it’s been built. It’s not been built for the PS3 and Xbox 360, it’s been built for this.”

Goldeneye releases on November 2 in Europe.

1. Blerk

“Straight to bargain bin”.

2. CptKurk

“It’s been made for the Wii, so don’t try downloading it to your PS3, because that’s not how we want you to experience it.”

3. dirigiblebill

Teensy bit more context – I asked another Acti producer about the possibility of a port a few months ago. She said ‘that’s not something I can discuss’.

Obviously there’s a licensing knot to unravel here…

4. Blerk

Who was it that stamped on RARE’s XBLA port of the original? I thought it was Nintendo but they didn’t block Perfect Dark.

5. Johnny Cullen

I think it was Nintendo, actually. Don’t quote me, though.

I vaguely remember it being mentioned somewhere, but I can’t exactly remember where.

6. Gheritt White

@ 4 + 5: It *was* Nintendo’s fault, but it was a bit round the houses. MS needed approval from Activision (the Bond interactive licence holder) in order to put the (finished) GE007 HD on XBLA. However, Activision wouldn’t give their approval without Nintendo’s blessing. You see, this was back in the early days of Wii-mania and every big publisher wanted to stay in Nintendo’s good books, as their console looked to be a bit of a cash cow. MS even offered to allow GE007 on Wii-ware in return for GE007 HD on XBLA, and NoA loved the idea, but NoJ still refused. Iwata himself apparently said he didn’t want such a seminal N64 game ever appearing on a non-Nintendo console, even though Nintendo didn’t have the rights to the game. So, not wanting to incur Nintendo’s wrath (and presumably jeopardise millions of sales of Guitar Hero on Wii), Activision wouldn’t permit MS to put GE007 HD on XBLA.

The reason PD64 could end up on XBLA is because there were no third-party licence-holders involved. Rare owned the rights lock, stock & barrel and MS own Rare, so it was very easy to sort out.

***ALL OF THE ABOVE MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE***

7. Blerk

I was pretty sure it was Nintendo too, but that doesn’t seem to make sense now that PD’s out there. Obviously it’s not as straight-forward as that.

Edit: Ah, that might go some way to explaining it, Gheritt. If any of it is actually true, of course. :-D

8. Robo_1

Yeah, that tallies with what I heard about it as well. A shame really as everyone could have won.

I am liking the look of this one though, I’m pretty sure I’ll be there day one.

9. macronia