Super Mario Bros. 25 today, Anniversary Edition shown

Monday, 13th September 2010 12:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

marioann

Nintendo’s shown off a Super Mario Bros. Anniversary Edition to mark the game’s 25th birthday.

Super Mario Bros. first released on September 13, 1985, going on to sell more than 40 million units.

It was the biggest selling game of all time, bested only by Wii Sports in 2009.

The new pack is covered by the logo trademarked last week by Nintendo.

It’s out on October 21 for Wii, priced 2,500 yen.

There’s no word there of an international launch.

1. StolenGlory

DO WANT.

2. Tonka

SPLOOOOOOOOGE!
    The above is the sound my cum made as it splashed against my monitor and made the office look like Manhattan after the Stay Puffed MArshmallow Man incident

3. Callum

LOL tonka. genius. I want a copy :-(

4. Kerplunk

I can’t help feeling that re-releasing the same game over half a dozen times (conservative estimate) on a variety of Nintendo platforms has significantly contributed to “biggest selling game of all time” status.

In much the same way that Wii Sports isn’t actually ‘sold’ in the West so much as ‘given away’ – making that game’s sales accolade somewhat suspect too.

Still, excellent show of capitalism Nintendo. Bravo! ;)

5. OlderGamer

They are putting it out again?

I already have the VC one, kind of seems a bit silly. But I am sure collectors will eat it up.

6. Blerk

I’ve still got my SNES Super Mario All-Stars cart.

7. OlderGamer

wOOt me too.

I even have the original NES Cart. Of course to use it I have to use one of those Yobo NES knock off top loaders. But the game plays great!

8. Happy Hardon Harry

This is just a cheap cash-in. It’s the 25th Anniversary for goodness sake, Nintendo could have at least made an effort.

It’s just a Snes ROM in fancy packaging. They could’ve bundled in Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island (SMW 2) with those games.

When it reaches the UK Nintendo will probably want £30/40 for it. In that case they can fuck off with such dodgy shenanigans.

I’ll give this a miss regardless of the price…

9. Isuru86

My first tought seeing that picture was: Why the fuck are they selling Super Mario Cigarettes now !?

10. DSB

I was thinking Super Mario was coming out as a covert member of the polit bureau.

That would certainly explain the cossack ‘stache.

11. Moonwalker1982

Wait what….so only Super mario Bros? Not a pack of several Mario games?:(

12. Kuwabara

why cant they fking remake it with hd graphics