Bungie discusses Firefight in Halo: Reach gameplay video

Friday, 10th September 2010 19:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

reach

Bungie designers Lars Bakken, Josh Hamrick and Sage Merrill are featured in a new video for Halo: Reach, discussing Firefight.

In the video below, you can hear each designer talk about the sandbox  elements of the level, as well as see some sweet gameplay footage of it in action.

If you’re a Halo fan looking forward to Reach, you won’t wanna skip this.

Halo: Reach is out Tuesday worldwide.

Thanks, Ve3tro.

1. Sleazy Bastard

Firefight with matchmaking should be a blast. I never experienced Firefight on ODST because of that. Playing by yourself isn’t that fun…

2. MushroomStamp

A lot of us have no idea what “Firefight” mode is. I’m guessing it’s like Horde mode.

3. spiderLAW

@2 You guessed correctly
    It is a horde mode, just slightly more complicated.
    Instead of the enemies just getting bigger and harder to kill as you progress, they get perks.
    They start off basic and then as you progress the enemies will get resistance to bullets, then the next unlock you have to melee them to get your health back, then the next round the Grunts will have infinite plasma grenades, so on and so forth and each perk adds on to the previous so they just get stacked. by round 4, they are impossibly hard.

Firefight was the best part about ODST. I played it for maybe 30-40hrs total. It didnt have matchmaking but it did have 2 player split-screen so me and my wife tackled that bitch and got all the achievements except for the online ones.

With matchmaking, this is going to be facking fun!

4. freedoms_stain

With matchmaking it’ll be the exact same as horde, you’ll get half way through then the host will get bored or have to leave and quit out shafting the rest of the team.

Ideally if you want achievements for this sort of thing you get 3 mates or you sign up to a site like trueachievements and set up a session with a bunch of guys dedicated to seeing it through.

5. MushroomStamp

Sounds like fun. I couldn’t finish ODST, about the 4th hour in I couldn’t take it anymore. Couldn’t even run… so I bagged the game.

6. Michael O’Connor

Gotta admit, those graphics are quite pretty.

@4 This is why I always play these with friends instead of random people.

7. freedoms_stain

@6, defo more enjoyable with friends, but getting enough together for long enough can be an issue.

Now if they ran these game modes on dedicated servers and let players drop in and out, like L4D for a perfect console example, this issue would not exist.

8. polygem

Firefight is an extra on top of the awesome standard mp. So i wont complain a bit. They already got these new modes. I enjoyed the beta so much. This will be an awesome game. Really hate to wait. Only thing im afraid of: dont know if i shoul start with sp or mp….Ahhhh luxury

9. MushroomStamp

Gotta start with SP :) If you start with MP you’ll never finish the SP… it’s like a rule or something.

10. reask

Man that looks good.
    I have it pre ordered so roll on tuesday.
    Maybe we can get a few heads off the site and set up a firefight session that suits everyone.

Tea if youre watching get it and a months sub and we will have a laugh with a few of the site heads.
    I think you get a month free anyway for signing up.

A few private ffa matches would also be gas.

11. Anaron

@9: Not unless you have friends that will hop online before touching the campaign. Then, you’re left with a choice: play online and have a good time with your friends or play alone (and still have a good time). Personally, I’d rather play with my friends and play the campaign when they’re not on.

I’ve never really played Firefight as that game mode wasn’t available in Halo 3. It looks like a lot of fun and from what I’ve heard from friends that play ODST, it can get really tough.

12. DarkElfa

Halo: Reach Around. I don’t play it but I hope its a good game for those who do.

13. Kuwabara

whats with the hype for this shitty game????

14. AHA-Lambda

any news yet nfor supermarket prices? I heard asda is doing something but thats all I know? =/

15. Erthazus

Question: Does AI in this game do something than

1) Run like an idiot

2) Shoot

?

@Michael
    “Gotta admit, those graphics are quite pretty.”

Facepalm.

PS: I’m very curious about when you all started playing GAMES. Maybe at the start of this gen, i’m sure.
    Firefight. It’s the Unreal Tournament 2004 mode called: Invasion
    while here it’s just renamed version of it called: Firefight.

16. manamana

^ Supertroll! AI from bungie is the best out there.
    Go play your technocrysis on your superrig and let the gamers have fun while your hating on everything.

17. Erthazus

“AI from bungie is the best out there.”

Like running and shooting? The best AI out there? I thought Gears of War series, Uncharted series, Killzone 2, Unreal tournament 2004/3, Crysis 1,2, Dead space had a little bit better AI, they did much more than shoot and run or stand while someone shoots with grenade launcher from behind.

“your hating on everything.”

Prove link that i hate “everything”?

18. spiderLAW

@Erth
    Actually man, the AI in Halo IS in fact pretty smart. If you go back and play Halo CE you will see that the Elite in that game are really tough cookies. You start shooting them and they will roll into cover. If you throw a grenade they will spring to a safe distance away. If you get too close, they’ll melee you. If you dont watch your back, they will come up from behind and one hitter quitter you. Also the grunts will run away if they see their buddies around them dropping like flies. The grunts also act like alarms and will alert the rest of the enemies of your Presence. The flood will atttack you head on but will also flee as it takes damage.
    This continues into the rest of the Halo games. The only character AI that isnt exactly as smart are the Brutes but i am glad for that because they are pretty hard to kill as is.
    But i do agree with you on the graphics comment. Iv’e never played a Halo game where the graphics wowed me at all. Tehy arent bad graphics, they are decent, but nothing spectacular.

BTW…Best AI i’ve seen isnt any of those games you mentioned Erth. Play F.E.A.R.1 and you’ll see how teactical the enemies are.