Relic’s Brian Wood involved in fatal car crash [Update]

Thursday, 9th September 2010 23:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

brian and erin wood

Sad news today regarding Company of Heroes and Relic designer Brian Wood, who died in a car accident on Friday.

According to The Province, in an effort to avoid an SUV heading straight for the vehicle he and his pregnant wife of five years, Erin, were traveling in, Wood cut the wheel of his vehicle so the unavoidable impact would hit the driver’s side instead of the passenger’s side of his Subaru.

While Wood’s decision only cause a minor head-injury for his wife, it unfortunately ended his life.

“All the policeman say that if we had hit the car head-on all of us would be dead, ” said Erin Woods. “At the very last second (Brian) braked really hard and turned right so that he would be put in the path of the SUV and not me and the baby, and that is the only thing that saved us both.

“I am not going to waste the gift he gave us.”

According to the police report, the driver of the SUV was attempting to remove her sweater, and handed over control of the vehicle’s steering wheel to the passenger.

Two male passengers in the back seat were also killed in the wreck and the passenger sustained a pelvic injury. There was also evidence of drug use by the occupants of the SUV, and all were known to police.

The driver has been charged with three counts of vehicular homicide and one count of vehicular assault, with the passenger who took the wheel expected to face the same charges.

VG247 wishes Wood’s family and Relic the best during the sad times ahead.

[Update: A memorial fund has been set up in Wood's name. If you wish to donate, you can do so here - JC]

Via D’toid.

1. Patrick Garratt

What the fuck :(

2. Bikki

Man, what a tragedy. Best of luck to his family and may his soul rest in peace.

3. Hunam

He’s a fucking hero for what he did. Truly terrible news.

I just hope if I am ever faced with a similar decision I will have the courage to do what this man did. He really is a hero.

4. onlineatron

The most poignant, heartbreaking and life-affirming story i’ve read on any gaming website ever.

I’ve never played a Relic game and I wasn’t aware this man exisited, but his sacrifice and heroic nature speaks to me infinitely.

Best wishes to the whole Wood’s family. x

(I hope the druggy scum, who caused the crash, are forced to sober up and face Brian’s mortality for the rest of their undeserving lives).

5. Johnny Cullen

Respect in mankind has gone up a notch after what he did.

Although no one should have their life taken away like his was, he was truly brave for doing something most of us probably wouldn’t have the guts to do.

I salute him. :(

6. Michael O’Connor

“Respect in mankind has gone up a notch after what he did.”

This. That’s fucking heroism right there.

7. DarkElfa

I call for the fist guy who says something shitty to get the banhammer of justice.

This guy deserves a monument.

8. Patrick Garratt

I’m properly choked. That’s awful.

9. The Hindle

I hope the cunts who smashed in to him get the death penalty.

10. Hunam

There’s too much death in this story already. I just hope they have to guts to face up to what they did and try to live the rest of their lives giving back to the world what they took away.

11. Erthazus

The director of Company Of Heroes. Seriously, it’s shame that these fucks are alive. It’s just a shame and remember they will be at Jail like for 5-10 years at max, this is not much. Now what son is going to do without his father? It’s like me when father went to Israel and there was only I and my mother.
    this is going to be really hard for his child. Thats just… Way too much.

“I’ve never played a Relic game ”

FFFFFFFUUU.. this man is behind of Company Of Heroes. He is (was…) brilliant.

12. Gheritt White

Rest in peace, Mr Wood. Sincere condolences to the bereaved.

13. Freek

A tragic event, just two split second decisions, two verry different outcomes.
    “I am going to take off my sweater”, result: criminal, marked for life.

“I have to save my family” result: life snuffed out.

14. Dralen

I don’t even know what to say, that’s just so harsh. Rest in peace Brian Wood, you were truly a great man.

15. cookiejar

So sad. Thoughts go out to his family.

16. Robo_1

A real life hero, what a sad, sad thing to happen, and with a baby on the way. :(
    Heartfelt wishes to all personally effected by his passing.

17. CnD

That’s so sad. The world is terribly unfair. :(

Rest in peace, Brian. I wish your family the best and hope your baby grows up knowing what a great man his father was.

18. OlderGamer

Kind of puts things into perspective. Both on the greater value of the lives we lead and the lesser value of the hobby enjoy.

Touching to say the least.

And yes, while our language has the word hero in it. The actions of Mr. Wood just defined it.

19. OlderGamer

Does anyone know if there is a way to donate to the family? Are they taking a collection?

20. ShiroGamer

sad indeed

21. Anders

Best of luck to his family and friends. Losing someone who is close to you is never easy, and from the looks of things, Brian Wood was a genuinely nice guy.

Also, I hope that the driver in the other car feels terrible right now. A child has lost its father because he/she couldn’t take the time to drive to the side of the road to pull of a fucking sweater.

22. DSB

Kind of morbid coincidence that something like that happens during a huge Steam sale of some of the games he worked on.

Perils of Summer. Perils of Fall more like.

23. spiderLAW

That was a very heroic decision. A decision that i myself would make in an instant for anyone of my family members. It’s a shame that he had to lose his life but now his wife and child can live a full life because of his strength and courage. I will pray for him and his family.

24. Johnny Cullen

OG – 343 Industries’ Ryan Payton said on Twitter there’s a fund being set up for his child.

I encourage anyone and everyone to chip in a bit once it’s set up.

25. onlineatron

Yeah I saw that. If I can paypal some money over i’ll chip in for sure.

26. theevilaires

Pretty messed up way to go. I hate reading things like this.

27. Tallon 4

Sad news indeed :(

28. joshua nash

dying while protecting/saving the life of your wife and unborn child is very heroic but also very tragic, i feel for his family, i wish and pray that all those that loved and were loved by him make it through this sorrowful time

29. Isaaclarke37

God Rest His Soul In Peace, he didn’t die in vain.

30. El_MUERkO

Good work fella!

Rest in peace.

31. monu-mental

You see, there’s life after death, but not many think about that. We only get to live about 72yrs on earth, while an eternity will be spent in heaven or hell.

We need to think about that. Jesus Christ came to die for our sins and give us an eternal hope, don’t let it pass you by.

32. DSB

And every tragic event is just another opportunity to peddle your medieval beliefs.

Nice going.

33. spiderLAW

Agreed

34. AHA-Lambda

;_;

rip and yea the man is a hero for what he did

i’ll keep my eyes peeled for that fund for the child

35. Gekidami

Could we please not use this to push religious agendas. Thank you.

36. onlineatron

@35 – Agreed

@31 & 32
    Please, I respect your right to believe what you will… but a man has died, pay your respect and keep evangelism to a minimum.

37. AHA-Lambda

@35 and 36 – agreed

38. monu-mental

It’s not pushing agendas. Why can’t anyone say anything spiritual. Why is morality so offensive? Why is saying Jesus Christ loves you, wants to be there for you, save you and give you eternal life, offensive?

They took out prayer from schools, now look at what’s happening. They’re making our games more vile and vulgar by the day, so what do you expect?

I know this has nothing to do with the aforementioned, but sometimes, humans must pause and think about their life and how fledgling it really is.

We won’t live forever on earth, but we will in heaven or hell. It’s a reality we must take notice of.

God loves us all, but we’ve been given a choice to choose life or death, and Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Choose Christ, he’s waiting.

39. onlineatron

‘I’m not pushing agendas…’

‘Choose Christ, he’s waiting’

errr…?

40. Gekidami

^
    Exactly.

But anyway, just ignore it.

41. monu-mental

Christianity isn’t my agenda. It’s the agenda of God to humankind. He loves us all and over 2000 years ago, sent his only begotten son to die for our sins.

This world isn’t getting any better, in fact look at the rapid progression of demoralization; people need to wake up

This is serious business.

I’ll surely be praying for Mr. Wood’s family while they still live. As for Brian Wood himself, I just hope his heart was right with the Lord.

Life is like a rose that shines in its time and fades with the passing of time.

42. Hybridpsycho

R.I.P

Also, stop the religion discussion. It’s pointless.

43. RETARDED VIKING

Dude damn….that’s sad news.

44. AHA-Lambda

can someone ban him?

45. LePlatypus

@41 No one wants to listen to your religious bullshit. Usually I respect other people beliefs but when it’s being forced down my throat I dispice it. A man has died please don’t use it as a way of spreading your religious mumbo jumbo

46. revolting

Much respect for Brian Wood. The word “hero” gets bandied about all too easily. Mr Wood has shown what it really means.

These kinds of stories are always odd to process. Faith in humanity dropped yet another notch by the ridiculously stupid action of the SUV driver, or raised back up a notch by Brian Wood’s sacrifice? Almost certainly both.

I can only hope the individual responsible thinks of Brian Wood and his family every single time they take off their sweater henceforth.

@ Monu-mental: Pushing is pushing. Nobody is saying you can’t or shouldn’t believe what you believe. All people have asked is that you not use this tragedy as a platform to push it onto others. If they want to believe they will, if they don’t they won’t; that’s up to them to decide, and that decision certainly will not change based on what you say here. This is not the time or place. Either respect that and move on, or don’t respect it and don’t be surprised when people disrespect you right back.

47. monu-mental

@ Revolting: Those who disrespect have their place. Notice, I’ve never said anything negative, bad, or derogative about anyone here. I wish the Woods all the best, and like I said, will be praying for them.

But I must make it known that Jesus Christ will one day return for a people that’s ready to receive him.

People can cuss, say all kinds of things but once Jesus is mentioned, everyone gets uptight and start kicking against pricks.

It is written, anyway. I’m not surprised.

48. Michael O’Connor

Guys one my site put together our own dedication to the man: http://www.thegamingvault.com/2010/09/company-of-heroes-designer-died-to-save-his-family/

If you guys have your own sites, consider doing the same. Guy deserves it.

If anyone has a link to that fund, please let me know.

49. AHA-Lambda

@47 – look quite frankly i dont care what your opinions on religion are but clearly people dont want it here. So i think given the subject here it would be better if you just kept it to yourself

50. spiderLAW

@ everyone
    there wasnt anything wrong with #31 post.
    There is always a time and place to mention Jesus.
    If you are asking for respect, respect others as well. Calling his beliefs “Religious Bullshit” is just as offensive to him and others as his talk of Jesus is to you.

@ Monu-mental
    It was nice of you to mention Jesus but like Revolting said, once is enough. If people are not going to hear it now, repeating yourself isnt going to make anybody listen. By continuing on, you just furstrate and alienate others and cause them to retaliate. It would have been the right thing of you to have just replied to #35 and #36 with “I am not pushing agendas. I am merely speaking of Brian having life after dead with the God that i have faith in. There was no offense intended. I just like to mention that there is hope even in death”

It wouldnt hurt if we just all mind our manners.

51. DarkElfa

I’m not trying to sell you any particular drink…

…Choose Coke.

Look mental, you religious folk are always try to use a tragedy to remind people of their own mortality and impending fiery stay in hell. I have news for you, Jesus called, he says you’re not helping his case.

52. Queldorei

This is indeed sad news, people this days don’t realize what drugs do to them, they have no idea that they don’t just ruin their lives but also make others suffer, even i know that and i’m propably way younger than them. Also what normal human being would pass over the control of the car while actually driving? Wonder where are the “normal” people this days. Just take even more drugs, ruin your life and begone forever, nobody needs people like this. I feel realy sorry for the family right now, hope that people who caused this tragedy will get the punishment they deserve…
    Mr Wood, from now on, i will concider you as a hero, not many would have done what you did, your courage and love for your family will be remembered for decades, rest in peace man, wish your family all the best and, thanks for everything you’ve done. I salute you and your family.

53. pjmas05

Good luck to Erin and the rest of the Wood family. Condolences for your loss. Sounds like the dev community has lost a good man. A child has lost a father and that is always a great sadness.

54. Johnny Cullen

Guys, do bear in mind a husband and future father has died. Now’s not the time to be lambasting and flaming each other.

Seriously. Stop. Not here, not now.

55. scuz

That is some seriously bad news. Tragic :(

56. Moonwalker1982

Damn man, no matter if i knew the guy or not, that’s all irrelivant. This is tragic. R.I.P.

Oh geez man….the woman was actually removing her sweater? PULL THE FUCK OVER AND DO THAT MAYBE? Jeeeeeez. :(

57. YoungZer0

Unbelievable. All this because one person decided it was okay to drug and drive. Never forget the power you hold when sitting behind a wheel. Some people just can’t deal with this much responsibility. And when drugs are involved, people die.

Such a waste of life.

Wish them all well.

@mental: This is not the time or place for your agenda. Go away, please. Nobody wants that. Pay your respect or go. Don’t preach your mumbo jumbo and tell us what life after death looks like. You don’t know anything. Nor does your book that tells us to stone our own if they have sex before marriage.

@Erthazus: So what do you want? You want to kill her? She made a stupid mistake and she’s going to pay for that, for the rest of her life. You think she wanted that? Nobody wants that. She killed someone because of such stupidity, this is one of the hardest things to handle, because it could have been so easily avoided. She’s going to pay for it. In Prison and outside.

Don’t get me wrong. She has to pay. A kid lost his father, a wife lost her husband. This can’t just go unpunished. But 10 more years won’t bring him back. Nothing will.

58. Crysis

R.I.P. you are a legend, you brought entertainment to countless people & in the end sacrificed yourself to save your wife & unborn child, nothing but respect from me.
    The priveledge that someone gets to handle a one tonne + machine has all to often been ignored, it’s NOT a right, you are handling what is a potential weapon, keep that in mind next time you drive. If you are doing something stupid while driving, there is no reason to revoke your license, same deal as mucking around with a gun & accidentally shooting someone, they are considered different crimes, but they really are not when you think about it.
    @mental, we respect your beliefs, but noone likes to be preached to, we understand religion gives YOUR life meaning to you, but understand that many people, including myself, do not believe the same thing as you & when you preach it, we tend to hold our tongue out of respect of your beliefs. what i’m saying is, just save religion for church please.

59. Blerk

Blimey, what a hero! :-(

/salutes

60. Johnny Cullen

I’ve updated the piece with the link to Wood’s memorial fund, if anyone wishes to donate.

61. onlineatron

Your donation was incredible Jonny, you’re a great human being :)

62. Callum

Awfull. Just awfull. Really makes you think.
    may he rest in peace

63. osric90

It’s stupid how ignorant people come to debate such imbecile topics in this article.
    Into what we really care, Brian is a hero and an example of how to live and how you make the greatest sacrifices for LOVE, TRUE LOVE. His story will never be forgotten.
    Please don’t drink or use drugs while you’re driving and if you drink or use drugs, don’t do it anymore. I’m sure I’m not the only one who lost people in this kind of accidents. Spread the word, make the change.

64. mortiferus

I am still in shock. RIP Brian. Your bravery and dedication to your family is an inspiration to us all.

65. Kuwabara

Rip :(

66. frostquake

I am sorry for your loss!

67. CaptPierce

It’s a sad life for a child not to grow up with their father. I wish the best of luck to his family and hope these reckless fucks get what they deserve in the end.

68. Cee

Not nice to see the resident god prodders in force….

Biding their time to pounce in the right topic

I have zero interest in the vaporised fart known as god and I’ll hapilly go to hell if it makes you bible bashers feel any better

69. OlderGamer

A good read

70. Johnny Cullen

Just to let everyone know, I just got a handsigned thank you card from Erin for donating to the fund.

If you feel like giving away a couple of coins, fund’s still running. Link’s at the top.