Kudo: Kinect features “really can’t be done on any other console”

Thursday, 9th September 2010 14:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kudo2

Kinect chief Kudo Tsunoda has told VG247 that 360′s incoming motion tech could only work on the Microsoft hardware.

The exec gave the statement when answering a question on whether or not Microsoft had traded off precision against immersion, given the fact Sony has clearly focused on “precision” as a differentiator in its Move marketing.

“Really, not at all,” he said, speaking at gamescom last month. “It’s not like we bring people working on Sony Move into the Microsoft offices and say, ‘Hey, wouldn’t you like to check out Kinect?’ And, ‘Let’s do some kind of precision test between Move and Kinect.’

“At the end of the day it’s funny to me. Those people really haven’t played with any of the Kinect technology, and I just think that as people see something completely unique that we’re doing on Xbox, not only with the full-body gesture stuff, but with the voice and the human recognition system, those are things that really can’t be done on any other console, or in any other medium.”

Tsunoda said he doesn’t waste his days figuring out how to “slam” the opposition.

“People try to figure, ‘Oh well, what is it that we can kind of grasp onto as a differentiator,’ as you said. To me, I don’t spend much of my time trying to figure out, ‘Oh, well how can I try and slam other people’s technology, or how I can say, ‘Here’s what’s bad about this tech or that tech,’ especially when I don’t even know, and haven’t played with it myself.

“Kinect is totally unique. It delivers something that you can’t get anywhere else in the world.”

Since making these comments, Microsoft’s confirmed that object-scanning and recognition for all but three languages have been dropped for Kinect’s launch.

Microsoft confirmed a 250Gb 360 Kinect bundle this week, to launch alongside the motion system on November 10 in Europe.

Kinect releases in the US on November 4 and November 20 in Japan.

PlayStation Move launches on September 15 in Europe, September 17 in the US and October 21 in Japan.

[Pic]

1. Talyis

LOL this guy! BTW why does this guy have a Japanese name or at least it sounds like it? Either way this guy is full of himself.

2. Erthazus

I want Natal to fail just for the sake of this guy.

3. Freek

So show me something better then a Wii Sports knock off and maybe I’ll believe you. But the launch line up isn’t showing much.
    Goes for Move too.

4. Blerk

Well… those things can’t be done on any other console unless they come up with a similar gizmo. That’s not quite the same, is it?

5. The Hindle

I wonder why Kudo has his arms up like that, maybe hes thinking this is how big Kinect will bomb :D

6. Kerplunk

Well, at least we know Kinect can also provide entertainment for cats.

7. mington

@6 :D

I like ta move it move it
    I like ta move it move it
    I like ta move it move it

ya like ta

MOVE IT

8. alimokrane

This has got to be the most stupid article EVER!

He obviously means that the experience of full body gesture is only available on the 360. It DOES NOT mean that making such hardware work is ONLY possible with the 360 hardware.

I despise the guy myself but let’s call bull**** on something that is actually bull****

VG247, I am very disappointed. The website is becoming a COMPLETE JOKE!!

9. Dannybuoy

Put ya hands up if you’re a complete nobber

10. mathare92

@8 -.-

11. 2plus2equals5

@6&7: OMG! I’m dying! XD

12. Ge0force

Of course Kinect would work on PS3 or Wii, since it uses only a small portion of the x360 power.

And for now Kinect is not unique at all. It doesn’t deliver any gameplay that hasn’t been done years ago on the Wii.

13. theevilaires

Dear Kudo, STOP IT PLEASE!

14. cookiejar

Isn’t this sorta similar, though? http://kotaku.com/5630997/kung-fu-live-is-the-best-kinect-game-on-playstation-3

15. Robo_1

Nah, that looks as though it could actually be fun, so nothing like Kinect’s launch roster. ;)

Ooohhh, can’t stop trolling Kinect, at least Dance Central looks as though it will find an audience.

16. iOrly

he looks like a divorced woman

17. spiderLAW

PS2

18. joshua nash

i must confess as a 360 owner i really wish sony’s MOVE to be more successful then kinect, cause that kudo guy is a dick

19. theevilaires

No No No joshua nash. Kudo is one of the cool guys in the industry. Its just sad that when E.A. got rid of the Chicago studio he went to M$ instead of SONY.

But then again SONY don’t hire guys like KUDO. Its not his style to wear a shirt and tie everyday or dress like a prep clean boy like the guys over there on the PS BLOG.

Thats whats cool about M$ though. They let everyone be themselves at their place. If you feel more comfortable being yourself then I feel it allows you to do a better job. The shades are his style too. We all know and recognize him from the rest of the others in the industry more easily that way.

He’s just doing his job. Trying to sell NATAL. Thats all.

20. NiceFellow

I hate these silly comments from either side. Kinect is an add-on to 360. Take the same tech and stick it on the PS3 with the same libraries and you’ve got the same thing.

I know he kind of means with Move or whatever but that’s the point. Nobody has to stick to what they have (MS included).

Heck, if Kinect doesn’t do well or the feedback is a controller like Wiimote would be better I’m sure MS would waste no time in supplying one that works with Kinect, for example.

21. Elven_Star

God, this clown again…

22. Kuwabara

this guy needs to stop sucking microsofts dick. All he does is give them praise.

23. sg1974