Hirai: PSP go had a market – it was just smaller than PSP-3000′s

Wednesday, 8th September 2010 16:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgo3

PlayStation head Kaz Hirai has said PSP go had a market, but it just wasn’t as large as that enjoyed by PSP-3000.

“Pricing is perhaps an issue”

When Sony released PSP go last fall, there was a bit of a backlash at retail due to it being a download-only device lacking a UMD drive and having a much higher price point than PSP-3000.

However, even with this lack of retail support, Hirai is pleased with how things are going for the handheld.

“I think we did cater for a market, albeit not as big as the traditional PSP-3000 market,” he told MCV. “It is the first time we have done that with any of our devices, and we did get a lot of feedback, both good and bad.

“I think we need to make sure we have as many titles available to download as possible, to make the experience as easy as possible. But also pricing is perhaps an issue. Because of the cost reductions we’ve been able to do over the years, the traditional PSP has benefited. But the PSP go is a completely different design, so the cost trend is different.

“Those are some factors. But I’m happy with the results that we’ve seen on PSP go, including the invaluable feedback that we’ve been getting from our consumers. I think it has done well for us.”

A step towards a digital future? Not yet

Despite releasing a digital-only handheld device, Sony doesn’t plan on releasing a handheld or home console lacking physical media capabilities any time soon.

In fact, as Hirai has stated before,  Sony does “business in parts of the world where network infrastructure isn’t as robust as one would hope,” and to think everything will be download only in “two years, three years or even ten years from now” is taking things a bit to “the extreme”.

However, Hirai believes Sony is offering the consumer the best of both worlds by catering to both the physical media and digital services devout, and cited new additions to PSN as an example.

“We just started the Qriocity video delivery service in the US for Sony Bravia TV sets, and we’ll obviously expand that to other territories,” he said.

“That is one way for us to leverage the infrastructure we have on PlayStation Network. We will be expanding it to a lot of Sony devices that we have within the group. So more to come from that.

“This industry brings so many different experiences to the consumer that it changes literally every year. It is very exciting for me to be part of and drive that change.”

1. Robo_1

“But I’m happy with the results that we’ve seen on PSP go”

Then I shudder to think what would have constituted a failure for them. Really Kaz, nobody would have thought less of you or Sony to just admit you cocked this one up a bit.

2. Razor

“pricing is perhaps an issue.”

Is this guy for real?

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

Pricing IS the issue. But I love the GO because I think ALL portable gaming now should be DLC or small tiny memory cards. UMD discs are too big to cary around

4. Erthazus

It’s not a failure and it’s not a succes either. Just mediocre product without UMD drive device.

5. DrDamn

It’s a failure in pure money making terms – I think they should have learned a lot from it though.

6. Dannybuoy

I’m selling mine on ebay as we speak. 15 mins to go and I’m up to £123. I paid £200 at launch plus I paid for 2 games and a leather case. I fear i might lose quite a bit on it. Oh well, I lost £2,200 on my car in a year too, so it’s not a big deal ;-)

7. spiderLAW

Why sell it on ebay. You can sell it on craigslist for an easy £190-£205. Even have the buyer pick it up.

I still have my original PSP 1001…I had a 2001 but i flipped it for more than what it was worth. I wont go anywhere near the 3000 or Go.

8. AHA-Lambda

why cant execs just admit when they are wrong? V_V

9. theevilaires

Mass market just wasn’t ready to accept it at that price point. I bought one (I know i’m a sucker) and I kinda feel ripped off. The HDD is actually 14.6 GB (all HDD never give the full amount, yes I know). It feels kinda weird playing games and the max volume output seems lower than the 2000.

Like I said though it was all about pricing. This thing should have cost $100 flat. It would have sold like hot cakes.

10. 2plus2equals5

A lot smaller market! lol
    Seriously i hate the noise of the psp reading the umd, if only go and games had a good price…

11. FeaturePreacher

It’s times like these that I wish Microsoft would release a phone with a d-pad, 2 analog nubs, and face and shoulder buttons to show Sony how to make a proper portable gaming device.

12. manamana

Kaz is so proud of his PSPGotohell and everyone goes bonkers when Sony launch a new Produkt. They really need to turn the shit around this time, invent something new and not take some ten year old design and stickit into a new case. Nintendo and Apple are sandwiching Sony, handheld wise, that is.

13. frostquake

So when I bought KH Birth By Sleep on UMD for my PSP-1000 and my friend who had a PSP-GO went to the PSN Store to buy it..IT WASN”T THERE!! Your Proud of that???? Way to support it, by denying GO owners!!!

14. Crysis

NO company will outright admit that they were wrong, if they do, i can guarantee a ‘but’ will follow shortly after.
    @Frosty, not Sony’s fault, blame Square if anyone, they CHOSE note to release it on PSN, not only Go owners that suffer, i have a broken tray on my 2000 model, so my only choice is PSN aswell.

15. frostquake

@ Crysis..Oh..sorry about your tray..you would think Sony would be smart enough to secure contracts with everyone, especially Square to have the right to put it up on the PSN. You would Think Sony would Go WOW…We can’t get anyone to commit to putting their future PSP games on the PSN…if developers aren’t on board then I think you would be smart enough to scrap plans for the GO. This seems like a LOSS LOSS for Sony…Like they put the cart in front of the horse kind of thing…Nothing to Drive the GO, if you don’t secure 99% of all titles..and I would think Square would be the first one you want to secure!!!

16. Crysis

@Frost, most psp games do appear on PSN the same day or at the very most week later, this is just one of the few, infact the only one that i’ve heard, that wont be on PSN, atleast not anytime soon, odd since this is a fairly large title is it not? idk what Square was thinking, but i think Sony, Nintendo & MS are intentionally being lazy this gen, just look at their on damand services, should be same day releases on the online store by now, i see no reasons against it, people can get their games easier & it cuts out the middle man, the retailer, so the publishers & service provider should profit even more, though i would like to see something like Steam running on consoles so the manufacturer can’t dictate the price, infact i believe that it’s something some legal department should be looking into, allowing different providers on the same platform, i would hate to see the world without competetion, especially when a platform crosses out physical media & switches to download only.

17. frostquake

@ Crysis..ME TOO!! But I think it will be a very cold day before that dream comes to fruition.

18. Blerk

I don’t think there was anything wrong with the idea of the Go, it was just the way they went about implementing that idea that was… pretty much entirely wrong on every single level.

The way they basically buried it so soon after launch speaks volumes.

19. Crysis

Agreed with Blerk, it was missing much of the back catalogue, not every release was on the same day, it was MUCH more expensive than the other versions which could do the exact same things & more using UMD, only advantages were a decently sized 16gb ssd & bluetooth which did NOT justify the extra $150-200 (AUD) @ which price i could buy 2 new 3000 models, 3 preowned 2000 or 4 preowned original psps, not that i would really reccomend a preowned console, but i bought my ps3 preowned, 2 years ago & have had 0 complications.

20. Lord Gremlin

Well, they released PSP Go which is a lite version of PSP 3000 with reduced functionality, and EU PS store lacks PSP games. In UK it’s so-so, in Russian, Netherlands and some other countries it’s just atrocious. The sheer fact that people actually bought PSP go is astonishing.

21. Crysis