Wed, Sep 08, 2010 | 10:10 BST
FFXIII DLC plans were scrapped, says Toriyama
Yes, there was supposed to be DLC. No, it’s not happening any more.
Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama has told Famitsu (via 1UP) that DLC was originally planned for the game, but the scheme was scrapped.
“We were planning to make some DLC, but that plan wound up not happening,” he said when answering a question on a comment he made before the game’s Japanese launch on PS3 last year.
He said owners should “hold on to their saves from the end of the game”.
Square confirmed this morning that it’ll be releasing the game for 360 in Japan as the “Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits Edition.”
Producer Yoshinori Kitase explained why is the move happening now, nearly a year from FFXIII’s original Japanese launch and six months since its western release.
“We feel that there are a lot of 360 owners worldwide, and a lot of people in Japan who own nothing but 360s,” he said.
“Thanks to the new [Slim] system and such, the situation’s a lot different than it was in July 2008,” he added.
July 2008 saw Square boss Yoichi Wada announce FFXIII for 360 for the US and Europe on stage at Microsoft’s E3 presser.
FFXIII 360 launches in Japan on December 16.