Next Nintendo console will “leave your mouth open,” says Sakamoto

Tuesday, 7th September 2010 11:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

wii1

Metroid creator Yoshio Sakamoto’s all about the shocks, apparently.

He’s told a Spanish website that the next home console from Nintendo will “leave your mouth open.”

“At Nintendo we always have the obligation to surprise users with a new game console,” he said.

“We have never done what others have. We prefer to create something new that catches attention, and I think this will continue this time as well. Surely the new Nintendo machine will leave you all with your mouth open.”

This year, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has hinted at 3D for the next home console from the firm, following in the footsteps of 3DS.

NoA boss Reggie Fils-Aime has said the new hardware is a long, long way from coming.

“When the software developer comes forward with an idea that can’t be executed on the current platform, that’s when we start thinking seriously about the next system,” he said back in March.

“We’re not there yet, from a Wii perspective.”

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Crysis

“leave your mouth open,”-tongue control? :P
    “When the software developer comes forward with an idea that can’t be executed on the current platform,”-their 1st party devs don’t have much to work on to justify newer hardware, Super Mario can be done on a browser using flash, really hardcore stuff that is :P

2. 2plus2equals5

A new disappointing console with great potential but with a bad realization, old hardware and probably the same 80′s characters?

3. Erthazus

Cool and we will get a lot of SPORT titles right?

4. Psychotext

“We have never done what others have. We prefer to create something new that catches attention, and I think this will continue this time as well.”

Yeah, the SNES, N64 and Gamecube were massively innovative and different. Oh.

5. Crysis

til i can play ALL multiplat games, unaltered with similar details which will appear on both Sony’s & MS’s consoles, i refuse to aknowledge Nintendo’s consoles as real gaming machines, there’s a reason why we don’t get proper multiplat games on it & til they fix that reason, they will recieve no support from me, but Nintendo may not be aiming for support from ppl like me & stick the kiddy & shovelware shit since it’s likely to sell better

6. Blerk

You won’t even need to move for their new machine, it just knows what you’re thinking.

Yes, that’s right. Even you. Dirty boy.

7. RETARDED VIKING

Last time my mouth was left open to a nintendo system is when i was laughing at the ridiculous name of “Wii”

8. Robo_1

Yeah, I was thinking that. :)

That said, I think Nintendo have solidified their position as the principle innovators in the console space, so I believe them when they say the Wii follow up will be something special and wow people. I’m really excited for it actually, lets just hope they beef the underline tech up next time out.

9. Tonka

“You will say wow” quote springs to mind.

10. Kerplunk

I find myself a little disappointed with Nintendo’s apparent obsession with being different.

Different does not automatically equate to being better. Wheels don’t always need to be reinvented. Fun is in the gameplay. Not the controller or the screen technology.

The DS and Wii have already repeatedly demonstrated that innovative hardware will not save a bad game from being bad. (And I’ve no doubt that Move and Kinnect will further prove this point.)

11. Lord Gremlin

If their new console will be more powerful than PS3 and have some standard controller in addition to motion one I will consider it.

12. Tonka

I think Nintendo have proved that it doesn’t take the most powerful hardware to win a console race.

13. Gekidami

Nope, just the most gimmicks.

14. onlineatron

Built in dentist?

‘Say Ahhhhh’

‘Ahhhhhhh’

15. xino

these guys should stop teasing, it’s making me anxious to know what they have built.

they didn’t make a lot of money on wii but made too much money!

16. Telepathic.Geometry

I reckon that in 2012, they have to have a new console, as all Japanese TVs will be HD by November 2011. Seeing as how they might not be ready for the next step then, I reckon they probably will release a Wii version 2 (as opposed to a Wii 2) around then, with maybe a few bits thrown in…

17. OlderGamer

I don’t know, I am looking forward to it. I think Nintendo has learfned a lot from this gen. They know they need HD, they know they need HDD, they know they need online, and they know they need more to offer core gamers.

I think their next system will offer a lot more then some of you folks think.

I also think that a lot of traditional gamers have a lot of distaste over the fact that the Wii doesn’t pander to them. They don’t want to share the spotlight and focus with other gaming demographics.

In truth a so called soccer mom has every right to enjoy a video game as you or anyone else does. And her money is worth just as much.

So much hate it is almost funny.

Anyways I think the next round will see a very diffent console race. I think Ninetndo will win that one…

..oh wait. They are winning this one too?

Hm, interesting.

18. reask

I wonder a little bit about that actually OG.
    I still reckon a lot of gamers who bought the Wii have been bitterly disappointed by the lack of choice given to them.

My one has not been turned on in 2 years and that’s the truth.
    I got it for the little one in all fairness but kinda thought I would be playing it quite a bit myself.
    In fact prior to getting the 360 I was looking at both.
    Man I was so glad I picked MS.

Still maybe you are correct about next gen.
    I would be of the opposite opinion though.
    I reckon folks will go with MS and Sony and ninty will be punished for not bothering to support more games on the Wii having sold so many.

I mean say what you want about the other 2 but at least they have gone out of there way to support every gamers preferred choice.
    I reckon that will play a big part in folks purchasing choice next time around.

19. Happy Hardon Harry

Nintendo this gen have been the only ones out of the “big three” who have had the balls to do something different in the Wii/DS.

Sony & MS on the other hand may as well be the same firm as they’ve did nothing to distinguish themselves from each other. The PS3/360 are so alike it’s hardly inspiring.

Also, Sony’s/MS IP have been shite this gen with only the Uncharted series worth it’s salt. The rest (Killzone, Resistance, Halo, Gears, Alan Wank, Fable, Forza, InFamous, MAG, etc) have been run of the mill material.

The best games this gen have been Multiplatform (Bioshock, Batman: AA, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1/2, COD 4, Dead Space, GTA IV, Portal, etc) or Nintendo games (SMG 1/2, Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, Pokemon Heartgold, etc)

I hope Nintendo continue to do things differently as Sony and MS clearly haven’t got the balls to do such a thing.

Sony/MS next gen will continue to “play it safe”.

I haven’t been impressed with MS or Sony this gen, hence why i sold both their consoles and never looked back.

If you aren’t bothered about Sony/MS IP then there is no reason what-so-ever to own their systems.

20. Dannybuoy

I think I’d wait and see what hands each player has before I decide who the winner is.

21. Blerk

Sometimes playing it safe is all people want, though. I didn’t ask for, want or need motion controls, for instance – they put me off playing on our Wii far more than the lack of HD.

Add in the fact that Nintendo first-party software generally leaves me totally cold and they’ve got a very hard sell to me personally next generation even if the hardware’s right up there with the PS4 and Xbox 720.

22. OlderGamer

Time will tell.

I don’t use my Wii to play many retail Wii games either.

I use it for Wiiware and VC mostly. A few gems here and there, most of them Nintendos own games.

But the bright sport for them is the fact that MS and Sony are both seen as copying Wii and trying to expand their demographics with Kinect and Move. I think to many this puts Nintendo is a spot of leading the market and trends.

I also think that if Nintendo does address a few of the Wiis weak points(like a HDD, Online MP, and such), and simply build on what they already have, they could be in for the win. Again.

But you might be right.

I am pretty sure that the early adaptors from the hardcore crowd will likly pass on Nintendos next system at launch. Waiting to see what games comes out and what the over all experience is before buying into it.

Also where the economy is at will factor into it. If it launched tomorrow, I couldn’t buy one. That is why I think Sony and MS expanding into Wiis casual crowd was a smart way to extend the projected lifespans of their systems. We will see if it works for them.

But I think Nintendo will be the first to unviel new hardware and I think we will see something within a years time.

23. Erthazus

@19 Completely disagree with you. Games from Sony like The Last Guardian, Little big Planet 1,2, Flower, Infamous 1-2 are worth playing, not to mention about Gran Turismo 5.
    MS games also. Gears Of War 2-3 are very good games from Epic Games.
    Nintendo: SMG1,2, Twilight Princess and thats it. Pokemon is just a reharsh.

Multiplatform games you mentioned. Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1,2 are bad polished games and nothing more. Oblivion is good? For F sake, we never played Morrowind or something before that?
    How COD 4 is better than Killzone franchise?

I think most of what you said have to do with your tastes and nothing more.

@OG, they don’t have power to support hardcore or adult gamers such as yourself when they have a casual market in 90%
    Who will win next? Dunno, but this time it won’t be them. Casual market is also a MS and Sony’s priority now. So it can be again like a Gamecube with some innovative features.

24. reask

I agree with you HHH on the two of them been almost the same but I feel Ninty should have done more to please the large base that bought the Wii.

I don’t for one minute think I have the right to knock certain games because I personally don’t like them but I reckon as a FPS gamer mostly I at least deserve the same choice as the say platformer or Mario fan that paid the same money.

25. KrazyKraut

shit….motion sensor controlling keeping the mouth open.

26. Crysis

The only company to benefit from jumping ship early to the next gen is Nintendo, their sales are falling & they were a mile behind this gen with their hardware, i keep hearing that Nintendo keep innovating, doing something different, but how many new IP has there been in the past 10 years from them?-maybe a few party & low grade sport games & that’s about it.
    They’re behind in their hardware, way behind & their software are just the same proven franchises yet THEY are the ones praised for doing something different, only thing different was a very gimmicky motion controller with 0 depth & as HHH says, most the good games have been multiplatform, yet not one of the games he mentions has appeared on the wii, if it has, it was drastically cut down to PS2 standards, so can someone please explain to me when Nintendo have been ‘innovative’ lately? should mention that motion controls have been around since the early arcade days.

27. Crysis

I don’t mean to sound ‘anti-nintendo’ but they get all this praise for being innovative & bold when they tendo to play it safe with countless rehashes & cheap hardware.
    Don’t you think Sony were bold when they released one of the most expensive gaming consoles ever lower than production costs, bloated with extra benefits? Don’t you think they were innovative when they introduced controller free gaming to the lounge room? when they add a new format each gen? when they were the first to include built in wifi & hdmi?
    Don’t you think it was bold (closer to stupid) when Microsoft released a largely untested product to millions of homes? Don’t you think it was innovative when Microsoft popularised online console gaming (yes Sega had it first, but the Dreamcast was a flop)-i admit i can’t think of much for the Xbox in terms of innovation

28. Happy Hardon Harry

Crysis said:

Yeah, and look where that got them and over such a period have stripped the system ten fold of features i.e. PS2 backwards compatibility, 2 USB ports, SACD support, Linux support, Flash memory card readers, etc..

Sony fucked up on the PS3 hardware both from a cost and production point of view and they knew it.

29. DSB

I read somewhere that Apple had managed to create a bigger games platform than the DS with all their devices, with more power for games. That’s pretty insane if true.

@27 There was nothing safe about going full motion control. Neither Microsoft or Sony pushed anything beyond upgrading the software and hardware. Sony basically did the exact same thing 3DO did in the early 90′s, with pretty similar results.

30. Kerplunk

@29 Nintendo didn’t go ‘full motion control’. Their controllers had buttons and their console and controllers play non-motion control games. That’s not exactly Nintendo demonstrating unshakeable belief that their motion control is the future of gaming and foresaking everything else.

Thing is, the Wii’s big USP has been motion control. And, claims of copycat aside, once Move and Kinnect are out, that commercial edge evaporates overnight. Nintendo can claim to be flattered, but that’s just PR.

31. DSB

@30 Mince words all you like, it doesn’t change the fact that they took a huge gamble by betting on motion control and skimping on the hardware, and ended up winning the war by a landslide.

I’m don’t see how Move or Kinect are gonna break its stride. You put down 200 bucks, you have yourself a Wii. For an Xbox 360 or a PS3 with either Move or Kinect, you put down at least two Wiis.

That’s why I’m buying my nephew a Wii, and why people will continue to do the very same thing. It takes a lot more money to put the other consoles under an xmas tree, especially if you want motion control.

32. Michael O’Connor

@13 The DS would like the argue otherwise.

Nintendo completely trumped the competition this generation, and simply because of the degree of shovelware other developers released on the machine, all the “hardcore” gamers need to find a justification why their consoles are the ones in 2nd and 3rd place.

It wouldn’t surprised me if their next console does something different again. And then, five years after its release, we’ll see Sony and Microsoft ripping *that* idea off as well.

33. Dr.Ghettoblaster

My opinion.

Nintendo needs a new MUST HAVE SYSTEM SELLER APP that does for their new system what Mario64 did for N64. Hasn’t been anything that revolutionary since.

Gamecube didn’t have it, and Wii definitely doesn’t have it (IMO). I’m really hoping Nintendo’s next system has “it”.

I just feel if Nintendo kept the Wii motion control stuff as OPTIONAL in their new system, but then trumped everyone again with graphics and gameplay, it would be killer.

34. DarkElfa

Next Nintendo console will leave your mouth open…

…and then Miyamoto will brick in it. Cheers!