Impressions: Corrupted Thongs take center stage in new DeathSpank

Tuesday, 7th September 2010 20:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

deathspankpaxposter

DeathSpank, not content to rest on his laurels, is back later this month in Thongs of Virtue, where he must collect six pairs of thongs.

Hopefully, they went through the wash beforehand.

Purple Thongs of Justice

According to the demo we saw at PAX last weekend, and the trailer posted below, DeathSpank was one of six recipients of virtuous thongs created by a master craftsman in the Great Fires of Bacon. His pair, fittingly enough, are the Thongs of Justice.

The other five wearers of the magnificent thongs were corrupted by the powerful panties – as is want to happen on occasion – and DeathSpank must collect these thongs from their wearers, and dole out justice and mayhem along the way.

You’ll find Thongs of Virtue is not very different than the previous version, which is not an issue as we found very little wrong with the first outing.

This time around, you take up where you left off but in a land destroyed by war, with a new arsenal at your disposal: pistols, machine and ray guns, bazookas, and the same sorts of melee items from the first game.

Combat has been balanced a bit, and it looks to be less hack-n-slash than the first. There seems to be a bit more variety to the quests as well, with the same fetch quests thrown in among ones with time constraints and more puzzle bits for good measure.

DeathSpank is also the recipient of a monocle which will control an enemy for a short while, helping our hero defeat those out to do him great harm. Also, he can man his own ship for transportation across the water.

Zany characters, more unicorns

Sparkles the Wizard is back, along with a new character called Steve Von Prong, a ninja who rides a unicorn and is, a ninja of sorts.

It all looked rather fun from the demo shown to us at PAX, where we were also handed our own pair of DeathSpank themed thongs (no, you cannot see them), and we’re really looking forward to getting our grubby paws on it September 21 through PSN and September 22 on XBL.

Enjoy the trailer below.

1. onlineatron

That trailer was the most unfunny thing that’s attempting to be funny ever… And I’ve seen Meet the Spartans.

2. The1stMJC

I grew very tired of the humor towards the end of Deathspank so much that I just skipped all dialog from 60% complete till 100%.
    I will probably skip the sequel especially at another $15.

3. Gekidami

I liked the first one, the humour was ok but it did feel abit pushed after awhile. The gameplay made up for it imo, there should be more games like this on consoles.

4. RETARDED VIKING

@1You lived through that movie without becoming mentality insane! damn you are a soldier.

5. onlineatron

I don’t know if i’d use the phrase ‘lived through’. More like I existed through it, I didn’t cease to be, but I certainly felt no life through my veins.

Essentially,
    THAT.MOVE.IS.SHITE

6. revolting

I liked Deathspank. It’s a marmite game. Love it or hate it. The humour does wear thin after awhile, but that’s why I take breaks from it. I only play it every now and then, when I need some quick, stupidly funny hacking and slashing amusement, and played like that, the humour wears out slower. Still haven’t finished it, but it’s a great gap between retail releases filler. When I do eventually finish it, I’ll definately get the sequel for the same purpose.

Durability of the humour aside, Deathspank has the most EPIC soundtrack I’ve ever heard in a downloadable cheapie.

7. Stephany Nunneley

I absolutely adored DeathSpank. It was fun, challenging at times, and a nice break from what I usually play (when I have the time anymore), and the whole art-style really appealed to me. It never got boring, and I will download Thongs of Virtue day one. I just hope I don’t grind up my boots on accident again in this one. Damn it. Lost out on a complete set of wolf armor because of that. :(

8. Blerk

Deathspank was great, and although I have mixed feelings about the sequel arriving so quickly I’ll no doubt be picking it up anyway. And I’m completely with revolting on the soundtrack – some excellent music throughout.

But… not showing us the thongs they gave you, Steph? For shame! You don’t actually have to model them. :-D