Remade Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath hits PS3 next Easter – first shots

Friday, 3rd September 2010 11:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

oddworldstranger

VG247 can exclusively confirm that Oddworld developer Just Add Water is to release a revamped, HD version of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath for PS3 next Easter. Get the first shots down below.

The game marks the franchise’s first outing on a PlayStation console since 1998′s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus.

Stranger was originally released in 2005. The new version will be download-only.

“Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on,” said JAW boss Stewart Gilray.

“Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

The game will ship in 720p and will come complete with normal mapping, self-shadowing, re-mastered dialogue, Move support and additional material, of which JAW’s saying nothing as yet.

JAW’s most recent game was PSN shooter Gravity Crash. The British studio announced in July that it was working on Oddworld titles across “multiple platforms”.

Discussions between JAW and series creators Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna began back in June last year.

1. Erthazus

Great idea, i will get it.

2. frostquake

I really Enjoyed this on the Xbox 1…I will definitely pick this up on the PS3..not excited about Move support, but I am sure others will be. Imagine if you will Red Dead Redemption with and Oddworld twist, and you have Strangers Wrath..Very Western feel to it..GREAT GAME!

3. Patrick Garratt

Added two more screens there now.

4. JonFE

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath was supposed to be released on Steam as well, wasn’t it?

5. AHA-Lambda

@4 – yea what happened to the pc release and the remake of munch?

6. itsucks

Ertwat: sure you are.

Well LL is the kind of dumb business moves, this is just another one.

7. get2sammyb

Ooooh. PlayStation Move support. Yet another game with optional Move controls.

8. Psychotext

Doesn’t look massively improved over the original… but it’s great that it’s getting a re-release. :)

9. RETARDED VIKING

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!! FUCK YEAH i never even got the chance to finish the original OMFG day 1 buy best news i had all day!!! thank you vg247 :D

10. No_PUDding

Doesn’t look great, lol.

Is it open-world?

11. Moonwalker1982

Why only PS3 though? Especially since the original came out for Xbox?

12. Len

Great, great game but not sure I want to play it again.

13. cookiejar

Very cool. I’ll grab this.

14. Kerplunk

@11 Perhaps to antagonise platform trolls, maybe? Seems to have worked.

I have this on my XBOX, it’s one of those games where I simply can’t understand where the endless praise comes from. It left me cold.

Curious move. This game is the one that was often mentioned by 360 owners as the title they most wanted patched to run on 360. Now there’s this. I wonder if that’ll motivate MS to make that patch?

15. onlineatron

Never had a chance to play this, will buy this fo sho.

16. NiceFellow

@11 – not sure.

I don’t agree myself, but I know some see PS3 as having a better chance of decent sales for SP orientated titles like this, and this developer is one of them.

Or maybe they got favorable terms from Sony.

Or maybe it’ll release on both but it’s just bigger news that’ll be on PS3 and that’s getting covered first.

17. LOLshock94

MY FAV GAME COMING OUT ON THE 1 CONSOLE I NEVER PLAY

18. get2sammyb

@17 – you won’t mind turning it on for your favourite game then will you?

19. LOLshock94

ill buy it i just gotta clean the dust off my ps3 at easter time

20. Michael O’Connor

I think I’ll just stick the original disc in my 360 instead.

21. JonFE

IIRC, it’s not a backwards compatible game Michael…

22. DrDamn

Munch’s Oddysee yes, Strangers Wrath no.

23. Bleak Harvest

Weirdest news I’ve woken up to in a while, but I’m very excited. Day one!

24. Michael O’Connor

It isn’t? Balls. =(

I wonder where I put my original Xbox. Man, I used to be addicted to that GUI…

25. Statix

I loved this game back on the Xbox 1; one of the best shooters and games I played for the system. I’m actually kinda eager to revisit an updated version of Stranger’s Wrath.

26. DSB

Sounds awesome. I hope they get it out on PC as well.

27. ManicMarvin

Irritatingly, while Munch’s Oddysee is listed as compatible, the sound is knackered, so it’s not much fun to play on 360.

28. Callum

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. So dissapointed! Of all the games they could have re-made. I wanted something new, or a re-done Exodus. Bad times.

29. DaMan

30. DSB

@29 I like it.

What does that last paragraph mean though? Just outsourcing the port or what?

31. DJ Deathstar

@DaMan cheers for that i was really hoping it would be coming out on 360, though i do plan on prob buying a PS3 before next Easter so if it does come to it will still be able to play one of my all time favourite games!

32. DaMan

I think the last sentence means they aren’t going to develop a Windows version of the game, unless someone else agrees to port it. hence, only 360/PS3 and no PC version for now, probably later.. or he’s saying someone else is already porting it, but he doesn’t know anything about that.

33. LOLshock94

ohh wel no need to use the dusty ps3

34. theevilaires

The original on the XBOX was a classic. So much fun man. Those were the good ol days when games shipped great and with loads of content. Not like this DLC craptacular we are receiving this gen.