Duke Nukem Forever: Steph sends play impressions from PAX

Friday, 3rd September 2010 19:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

duke2

Steph Nunneley just sent us back her impressions of playing Duke Nukem Forever immediately after the game’s reveal at PAX this morning. Gearbox has now confirmed the shooter will release on 360, PS3 and PC sometime next year.

So, as you know, Randy Pitchford came out this morning and introduced Duke Nukem Forever to us, a small room of journalists, and it was as over the top as you would expect.

After the demo, we were rushed into a room where we were allowed to play the game.

The level I played, which looked like an opening stage, was single-player – multiplayer will be announced at a later date.

Duke starts out by taking a piss. You’re in first-person mode, and you’re literally watching piss hit a urinal. You can direct it a bit as well, which was interesting. After that, I used the stick to move into a meeting room, where some fellas were looking at a write-on-wipe-off board, which you can erase and draw on. I didn’t do very well at it, but with practice, I’m sure I could have drawn something very unladylike.

This was followed by a massive explosion. Duke’s fists came up and I had to walk down a hall to see men blown in half and others freaking out. I entered what was an elevator of sorts, and all a sudden I had this massive, over the top double-barrel gun – finally, because I was starting to stress over not having a weapon, thinking I was going to have to punch my way out.

When I reached the top of the building, it looked to be in a sports stadium, and there was this huge cyclops waiting on me. I tried to kill him twice but ran out of bullets.

I used RT to shoot, LT to zoom, and the left stick to sprint away. I died again, obviously, but it wasn’t the game’s fault; the controls were very easy and movement was smooth. I just held the trigger until my ammo ran out and died before I could find more.

In conclusion, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be just as over the top as you remember the series being, and probably more so. Big guns, big monsters, big muscles, big wisecracks, and big tits. Just big everything.

There’s vehicle combat in there, although we didn’t get to play it. It honestly looks like it will be a fun game, and something to finally appease those of us who remember Duke from our youth.

It’s out in 2011 for PC PS3 and 360. There’s no exact date, because, well, we know the history of all this and so does Gearbox.

We’ll just leave it at 2011.

1. Nozz

Vehicle combat could be interesting. But how long will they (the vehicles) last against the over-the-top guns this franchise is known for?

2. DSB

You really have to marvel at how 3DR worked.

Spending time on piss and drawing boards that you just know are gonna end up full of cocks and stuff about peoples moms.

Screw getting the game done within the century, these things are important!

3. Robo_1

Gearbox should be right at home with the vehicle combat. Glad to see it’s finally going to see the light of day, if only for the mountain of work that has gone into it.

I’d honestly pay good money to read/watch a documentary on just what the hell happened to cause the game to be 10+ years in development.

4. Robo_1

:D

Fair point! Although those types of little touches are arguably a large part of the games character. Who didn’t throw the dancers some cash, or pick up the phones. But yeah, probably wiser to add these little touches during the tail end of development, not whilst you’re still wrestling to get it into a shippable state.

5. Yoshi

‘write-on-wipe-off board’
    You mean a white board? ;D

6. DSB

@4 It’s true, really.

Just look at what the intro did for Half-Life, it’s like the most seminal scene from any game within the last 20 years. Bioshock tried to do the same thing, but personally I don’t think they took it far enough.

Both of those scenes have no gameplay value though, it’s all just setting the stage and drawing you in. More of that, please.

7. onlineatron

Duke Nukem appeals to me in no way whatsoever.

FPS – Nope
    Macho, Wise Ass – Nope
    Scantly clad ladies – Nope… Wait, err… Yes.

I played Duke 3D in my youth and enjoyed it, but the aesthetic, character and gameplay repulses me now.

8. DSB

@7 You’re a sad, sad man.

9. Isaaclarke37

Glad to have my opportunity a** kicker back. =)

10. frostquake

Hey in Postal you Could arc your piss up into the Air and Piss on yourself if you caught on fire! You could piss on everyone and make them run, except for the Gimp, he seemed to really enjoy it!

11. Len

The bit in the sports stadium is taken directly from one of the originals isn’t it, I’m sure I remember playing that years ago…?

12. funkstar

@11 yeah, im sure i read somewhere else that after you defeat the big cyclops you kick a field goal with his eye and then it pulls out and reveals that you’ve been playing duke playing duke3d… or something

13. Amir Mirzaee

How many FPSs have you played in your life Nunnely? (Holding the trigger with a shotgun?!!)

14. DSB

Steph, when you come down from your Dukegasm, you should tell us whether the game was actually fun or not. I’m seeing lots of people describing the game, but zero mention of whether it was actually fun.

15. NightCrawler1970

Yes, the ultimate badass game is BACK!!!

16. metamorphic

Sorry, but the Duke Nukem I remember playing was no first person shooter. It was a bonified platformer and one of the best & most original ones at that. I do realize the later Duke Nukem 3D game was an FPS, but that was the game I hated the most in the series, simply because it did not live up to the premise and originality of Duke Nukem & Duke Nukem II and was created to merely pander to Wolfenstein or Doom fanboys. It took away Duke’s swagger, his style and everything that made the first two games such a milestone in gaming. This is nothing to get excited about.

17. DSB

^^ Right…

18. Stephany Nunneley

@14 My Dukegasm? HAHAHAHA!!!! :D :D

Yes, what little I got to play was fun. I wasn’t very good at it, but I am not very good at FP anything to be honest.

The part I thought was rather funny was the urinal bit. Like I told Jim Sterling when I saw him later that morning, I now no longer have penis envy, as having one even virtually is not fun as implied. :D (that’s a joke obviously. a bad one too I admit)