Black Ops multiplayer: new modes, bots, gun customization, Wager Match video

Thursday, 2nd September 2010 04:52 GMT By Nathan Grayson

blackops

Hey, isn’t Black Ops the sequel to some kind of multiplayer thingamajig? Call of Something or Other? Modern Whatsit? So, what’s new? Well, Treyarch’s been pretty tight-lipped.

Until now.

During a recent press event, Treyarch finally decided the time was right to take the wraps off Black Ops’ sure-to-be-ludicrously-popular multiplayer mode. Here’s everything you need to know.

First up, if you’re not ready to fire rounds into real, flesh-and-blood virtual people, bots are now an option. The mode’s called Combat Training, and it’s even got its own progression system. So basically, it’s all the fun of an online match without any of the self-esteem anihilating 12 year-olds.

Care packages are also filled with new goodies, including a new type of grenade launcher and a friggin’ minigun. We likey.

Black Ops packs a new currency system as well, known as COD Points. These points are earned as you play, and can be spent on specialized challenges or gambled on Wager matches. Watch the video above for all the details on Wager gameplay. It’s designed for “adrenaline junkie fun,” apparently.

There are also four new game modes, which are separate from normal online progression. So far, two have been revealed: “Sticks and Stones” and “Gun Game.” If you’re an old-fashioned type and prefer your murder to be simple and idyllic, you’ll dig Sticks and Stones, which gives everyone crossbows and knives – no guns, no pesky grenades. Gun Game, meanwhile, hands players a progressive series of weapons based on kills.

Last but not least is gun customization, which has made the leap from practical to “should have its own reality show starring Xzibit.” In Black Ops, you can coat your no-longer-naked guns in decals, clan tags, and more – all of which can be resized and rotated. Because there’s no greater canvas on which to spill your artistic soul than something that spills people’s guts and brains.

We’re going hands-on with Black Ops’ new digs right now. We’ll get our impressions live as soon as we can.

1. artdafoo

I just saw the ” Wager Match Trailer ” and @ 2:42 the dude went from a jump straight into a prone position. You’re telling me they allowing people to ” Dolphin Dive ” in Black Ops ?
    If they did then this game just failed.

2. b163oi

Game has great visuals, but I’ve never got in2 MW2, been playing BFBC2 just liked it better. HA! p_q

3. Gekidami

Wager mode trailer:

4. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added in the video.

5. Patrick Garratt

As I say at the bottom there, Justin’s at the event in LA. I’m not sure on an ETA on his impressions, but we’ll have them live as soon as we can.

6. Robster1979

@1 I’m sure I’ve read somewhere today that you can go directly into a prone position. I’ll go and look for a link.

7. Robster1979

Time stamp 7.22
    “Dan shows off the dive to prone position from a platform. “

8. Gekidami

^ According to that the dog attack kill streak makes a return, flamethrowers to. :D

9. Redh3lix

Jump to prone = fail.

10. endgame

wow! and I’m saying that not because the game is awsm because it’s not but because Treyarch r actually bringing in new things to the franchise. seeing these guys doing anything other than copy/pasting, well that’s something I wasn’t expecting from them. still, miles away from bfbc2. so I’ll just stick with that. it’s still way to awesome to be replaced.

11. Johnny Cullen

That video’s a bit too awesome for its own good.

Me likey.

12. EscoBlades

Wager Match = camping, griefing mode. Mark my words…

13. M2Kx

Hm… I don’t really know what to think about that “jump into prone” thing. In the first two CoDs it was possible, but made the game kinda unenjoyable :/

14. ReeceHeywood

Ok I’m sold on it now that it’s involving bots, it’s the same reason why I still play Gears 2 and Killzone 2.

15. Johnny Cullen

Justin’s impressions just came in.

It’s going up now in a bit.

16. AHA-Lambda

wow i am impressed, if treyarch do pull this off this could be the biggest shot in the arm for CoD since MW1. O_O

ok i admit i hate activisions guts for milking this franchise but i admit they’re giving it its full support unlike guitar hero =/

17. Erthazus

you know what, this is very interesting idea. I like it a lot. Especially with the pistol one.

But for god sake, the graphics looks even worse than Modern Warfare 2. Oh Gosh, this is horrible. This is just so Last Generation. You can put it on Xbox 1 damn it. Just remove Vertical Sync, shaders, models and other graphical upgrades and you can play it there.

I don’t know. This time i won’t buy it at the launch time and will see my friends response.
    But some really good ideas. Really interesting.

18. drewbles82

I’m loving the bots idea, means if your the type to need a lot of practise before going against your mates who are usually good at these games, i might stand a chance.
    Also if they do have a zombie mode and you could use bots in that cuz its to hard on your own to get very far.
    I dont mind the jump to prone, you can do it in real life so if it gets me out the way of a bullet good enough for me.
    When they showed that wager i did think they meant ms points to gamble.

19. LOLshock94

OMFG the knife holy shit everyone is gunna use ligtweight and shit so they run and knife people and now they added this treyarch your feeding the noobs they are just fuckin idiots

20. scuz

Gun-game. What a way to slap people in the face “yeah we took servers away and added matchmaking. Just so we can bleed the mod community of the game modes they created.

21. LOLshock94

@20 mods are shit anyways

22. reask

I have to say I found some of the new match types quite good.
    The one bullet one should be a laugh.

23. DrDamn

Trying something new at least – @2:25 in the vid. “Every game mode has a twist to it that allows people to grief other players” … errr, when did designing in grief become a *good* thing?

24. stretch215

@ everyone complaining about ” jump to prone” last time I checked this is totally possible in real life, why WOULDN’T it be in the game. Also you can do it in mw2 as well. Some people aren’t satisfied unless they’re complaining about something.

25. DSB

@24 I end up shooting a lot of people in the foot because I expect them to go that way.

I don’t see what all the whining is about though. As long as you can reasonably counter anything people do in a multiplayer game, I’d say it’s up to snuff.

26. spiderLAW

Wow…you guys(maybe 10yr old girls) Bitch about everything

Game looks awesome!!!!

27. night_tripper

@26 yeah i agree the game looks great i can’t wait to play the multiplayer lots of whining on this site wow such babies

28. famalegoods128

Welcome to ============ http://www.famalegoods.com =============== Wholesale and retail all kinds of world brand shoes,apparel,jeans,t-shirts,hoody,jackets,coats,pants,handbags,wallets,watches,sunglasses,belts,caps etc.. $30 Air Jordan shoes,Shox shoes,Gucci,LV shoes $33 True Religion jeans, Ed Hardy jeans,LV,Coogi jeans,Affliction jeans $15 Ed Hardy ,LV ,Gucci Bikini $15 Polo, Ed Hardy, Gucci, LV, Lacoste T-shirts $25 Coach,Gucci,LV,Prada,Juicy,Chanel handbag, $10 Gucci,Ed Hardy sunglasses $9 New Era caps. ============ http://www.famalegoods.com =============== 1.Cheap Handbags 33USD Designer Fashion at Cheap Prices 2.Cheap t-shirt 15USD S to 4XL size,famous brands 3.cool sunglass 15USD 4.Cheap shoe 28-38USD Brand Fashion With discount Prices 5.Summer skirt sandle and more stylish please click: ============ http://www.famalegoods.com ===============
    nbrt54