Inafune: Devil May Cry 5 to have “western touch” to attract buyers

Thursday, 2nd September 2010 16:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

dmc2

It seems Capcom’s Keiji Inafune has confirmed the existence of Devil May Cry 5, after saying in an interview the next game in the series will have a “western touch” to attract potential UK-US buyers.

Speaking to Spanish website 3DJuegos (via CC), he said the company wanted more western sales for the series.

“Devil May Cry 5 is a game that, when started development, this will change a lot in relation to the above,” said Inafune.

“The reason is that, despite the franchise has some very loyal followers, their sales are not particularly high, especially overseas.”

He went on: “For this reason, it is likely that in the fifth chapter will incorporate certain western touch to make it more attractive to American and European players.”

It’s been rumoured that DMC5 has been in development for a while, with Enslaved studio Ninja Theory handling it.

Studio boss Tameem Antoniades was coy about it when the subject was raised in an interview earlier this year.

“Well, there’s no way I’m gonna confirm or deny if we’ve got anything to do with it,” he told VG247 in Barcelona at a pre-E3 Namco event in May, when asked if the studio was involved with DMC5.

It’s thought the game is not on Capcom’s two-year release schedule.

Best watch for TGS, just in case.

1. Erthazus

Oh my…. Prepare for the slow action and story about how Dante fights bad Ruskies or Soviet Union Devils?

2. Razor

Well this doesn’t look good.

3. mington

Fuck the West!

Stupid west

4. AHA-Lambda

well this will suck ass

god dammit is it just me or is anyone else starting to hate inafune more and more everytime he makes the news?

5. Kaufer

I expect buzz cuts and steriods to be involved.

6. MushroomStamp

I’m hoping this means no more short levels and loading every 15 minutes.. loading levels in this day is just absurd. Seamless experience is necessary to keep attention.

7. RETARDED VIKING

I don’t know giving an existing japanese IP a “western touch” would feel odd.

8. joshua nash

wasn’t DMC4 suppost to do the same thing? and that didn’t do so well did it?

9. LORANT92

Ewww.

10. YoungZer0

@1: Erm, the last game that has this American-Russian Conflict is Vanquish. Made by Japanese. And did you kind of missed the God of War Series and Heavenly Sword? Sooo much faster than any DMC title.

@5: Oh please, stfu. Did you read past the headline. If Ninja Theory is involved you can expect a fresh and interesting art-direction. This is not epic we’re talking about here.

I for one greet the change. I’m expecting a better story and more depth in characters.

11. osric90

It would be cool a rebirth…but not made a WESTERN game, maybe some touchs life the fact you can aim and shoot, attack mnore precisely and have a better, maybe more lineal style. Be able to move the camera freely and coop. A fighting system like Batman’s wouldn’t be bad… But I don’t think it’ll fit here. Anyway I hope this one is good. The fourth was GREAT. Coop please (Nero and Dante) and lots of stylish cinematics.

12. DaMan

HS and GoW faster than Dmc? news to me, apparently Vanquish is slower than Gears as well.

erm.. yeah -_-

13. YoungZer0

@12: Thanks, just proves my point.

14. DaMan

you are either a troll, an idiot or there’s something with your eyes, choose your pick.

15. Max Pain

DMC+RDR=DMC5?

cowboys fighting like ninjas ! HIJA !

16. YoungZer0

@14: I’m dead serious. This gameplay is very slow compared to God of War or Heavenly Sword.

I’m sorry a blind idiot-troll like you can’t see the obvious.

17. OlderGamer

I stopped playing DMC a long time ago.

I would welcome a visual overhaul, but I doubt they will find a gameplay that would interest me anymore. Its just too … gamey, if that makes any sense. Prolly not to fans of the game. But it too predictable, still has too many puzzles, still hac the tired worn out and over done formula it always had.

Just not interested in games like this anymore.

I bet they just pretty much clone GoW, slap on a new coat of paint, and then wonder why it won’t sell like they want it to.

18. YoungZer0

I always hated the jumping-passages in the DMC games. They always build them in while the jumping mechanics are always too sluggish and clunky.

19. DaMan

I’ve been playing these games since 2001, and honestly this is the first time I hear someone saying DMC is slower than those ones. then again, this is interwebs, and we have impressive folks like blackdream so..

have a nice day, YoungOne.

20. Gekidami

Or he’s talking about the speed it takes to actually beat enemies. The combat movements are fast in DMC but it seems to take ages to actually beat a single enemy.

21. DaMan

is he? let’s ask the guy.

22. YoungZer0

@20: Exactly!

23. OlderGamer

That is part of the formula I am talking about. All of it, from the jumping to the puzzles to the combat balance to the speedy hereo. I don’t think it is visuals alone that are the cause of deminesing sales. In fact I think it has very little impact on it. Some maybe, I know the long flowing white hair and overcoat with washed out make up laden face will put off some. But meh’ it is what it is.

I stoped playing it because I just got tired of it(and games like it).

24. DaMan

well, I would’ve never referred to the amount of time it takes to bring down enemies as ‘gameplay speed’, besides that’s the whole point of it, the combos.

pace of the game if you put it that way then, not the gameplay.

25. Erthazus

@youngZero, Vanquish is just a typical SARCASM over western type of games thats why Mikami used that. The story in Vanquish is a big sarcasm.

+ God Of War 3 or Heavenly Sword are very slow type of games compared to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry games. Very slow. These games wants to show the execution of some sort of movement. Beautiful stuff i mean.
    Japanese games like DMC or bayonetta require skill to learn Combos. Lots of Combos. LOTS. LOTS OF COMBOS! That create some anime style battle sequences.

Devil May Cry 5 with western stuff is not going to be good. It’s not that franchise that needs something Western.

It;s the same piece of dogshit like Arcania: Gothic 4. European RPG game from the start.
    4th installment tried a Western RPG’s flavour and game looks like SHIT now.

26. YoungZer0

Yeah, well combos was never something that drew me to this genre. God of War made a perfect mix. Many enemies, easier and faster to kill, but you still spend enough time on them because there are so many. Of course it’s easier, but you could play on harder difficulty and become a master in combos, but you don’t have to. If i’d care about combos, i’d play fighting games. Which i don’t.

DMC on the other hand. You could spend minutes on the first type of enemies. Which is quite satisfying but get’s boring pretty quickly since you kind of just want to move along and get held up by the first type of enemies.

27. YoungZer0

@25: Orly? Where does he say that? Where does Mikami say “It’s all a big parody of the typical hollywood films”?

28. AHA-Lambda

wait a minute? wasnt DMC 4 the biggest selling game of the series? So why the need to change!? Goddamn i hate you so much this gen capcom!

29. DaMan

like I said many times before, and keep saying DMC, NG and GoW are three different takes on the genre. I might hate it, you might enjoy it.

DMC is a stylish action centered on combos, NG has the most depth to it with it’s hardcore foes, GoW is a more of an action adventure type of game. I for one hate the latter. it’s puzzles are nothing but irritating, it’s combat doesn’t require nearly the same skills as the other two, even on harder difficulties, and it’s exploration pales compared to actual adventure games. for some reason I also can’t stand Greek mythology, so I hated the series since the PS2 days.

it all depends on how you look at it, if you play games for flashy fast pacing then GoW might be a good choice, if you ‘re more of a pure gaming fan DMC never gets dull. it ‘s a wrong game if you want to play something closer to interactive hollywood blockbuster. ‘spending time on enemies’, perfecting your skills and mastering combos is what the series was all about since the original.

see, I for one enjoy spending time on my games.. I don’t like to play for the storyline, I don’t like to play just to progress the plot anyway. I can play through a single level / foe again and again just like in the 90s.

oh, and Older I’ll take the long flowing white hair and overcoat over steroids and buzzcut anyday. to each their own ;)

30. Erthazus

@YoungZero, Mikami don’t need to tell you that it is sarcasm, you don’t need an A+ grade to figure that out. You seriousily think that there is a SERIOUS story with anime characters? Oh come on.
    go look at the videos, it’s just pure comedy with western typical Russian soldiers from Western games that are attacking United States of America.

On the DMC that is boring it’s just an opinion. you like western games more. It’s not boring it’s different. I like both games. Japanese and Western. they all have it’s own intersting style. Liked GOW and liked DMC.

DMC, Bayonetta are brutal, fast with combos, Western are beautiful and slow.

31. Hunam

I’d be happy if they had a full game instead of half a game gone through twice.

/glares at DMC3 and DMC4

32. DaMan

also, in reference to Older’s ‘gamey’ comment I know what you mean, and i’ve seen people that have similar tastes as yourself, yeah. as already been said in the past, these titles (DMC like) are designed to be mastered, the fun doesn’t come from just entertaining yourself or from an addictive time killing, but from playing by the game designer’s rules. I for one was never able to bring myself into playing MMOs or even pretty much all wrpgs like Baldur’s Gate. it feels like wasting time.. simple as that, I feel as when I’m interacting with folders on my desktop, only it doesn’t really bring me anything.. because the rest is nothing but your own imagination.

33. Michael O’Connor

Comparing God of War to Devil May Cry is a bit like comparing Justin Bieber to Chuck Norris.

I don’t believe that western games are inherently slower than their eastern counter-parts, but it just happens that the best developers, those who understand the pure art of game control, are Japanese.

34. The Hindle

What is it about GOW that causes people to stick thier nose up at it? Truth is if it wasnt for GOW the hack and slash genre would be dead as it revitalised it at the time when most others in the genre were a dissapointment.

I personally find GOW to be just as deep as DMC but unlike the latter there is different options if you dont want to focus on the combat system, mastering the combat system in GOW is far from easy i tell you.

Also there is people in this thread who get pissed of when people stick thier noses up at Halo so why they are doing the same to other peoples tastes i dont know.

35. Michael O’Connor

@34 Because on the most fundamental and basis level, it’s gameplay is shit.

36. The Hindle

@35 weren you the guy who said what is it about Halo that brings out the haters? So why are you doing the same to other peoples tastes.

37. Michael O’Connor

@35 I’m not. This isn’t about people taste. I’m simply saying the reason God of War is put down upon by fans of the genre is simple because the gameplay is crap.

Amongst the genre of spectacle fighters, its the slow kid who can’t keep up in class. In the first two games, it wasn’t too bad, but by the third game everyone else had already move onto the next grade.

38. DaMan

just to correct number 34, NG was released in 2004 and has been critically acclaimed as well being a commercial success, pretty much one of the main reasons to own the first xbox. DMC 3 – in 2005. GoW came out in 2005, in revitalized nothing.

39. Freek

It’s a shame Platinum is with Sega, they’d be perfect for a DMC reboot. Classic beat em up fast paced action with a more modern sensibility.

40. The Hindle

Both Hideki Kamiya and Itagiki the guys who created this genre respect Gow and expressed admiration for it in the past so this more then anything shows your elitism for what it is.

41. The Hindle

@ 38 Gow has had constant critical and commercial success and every Gow game has won quite a few awards from many different publishers. The first GOW won the best game award at GDC so yea.

42. DaMan

like I said it ‘revitalized’ nothing. wrong wording. what kind of discussion are you constantly trying to start? I couldn’t give less of a shit about GoW and it’s bloody fans, I even admitted that i have different taste. do you enjoy disinforming others just to keep people from criticizing your favourite toys whatsoever?

43. Michael O’Connor

@39 Platinum isn’t technically “with” Sega. They just have a licensing deal, which (unless its renewed) ends with Vanquish.

Capcom (or any other developer) would be idiots not to lap them up. The irony would not be lost on me if they did.

@40 Elitism? I’m the guy who *supports* casual gaming, for christ sake! Heck, I own the first two God of Wars, including the special edition of the second one.

You can’t seem to understand that this has nothing to do with people’s personal tastes. The mechanics have simply dated horribly.

Kratos moves like a slug on ice, with little to no traction with his surroundings. His attacks have no weight or impact on the enemies he’s hitting, and dodging is a brainless and skill-less affair.

You asked why its frowned upon by fans of the genre. I’m simply answering your question. You just don’t seem to like the answer because it insults *your* personal tastes.

44. Erthazus

@Michael, God Of War 3 Gameplay is not shit. I absolutely disagree with that.
    God Of War 3 have absolutely great gameplay on par with visuals.
    Last god Of war had so much moves and i finished it 3 TIMES. 3 fucking times and basically didn’t used 2 weapons for the full potential in my 3 times.

Gameplay is incredible with cool puzzles.

DMC or NG or Bayonetta just require clusterfuckness with your fingers but when you master a certain combo you are in the heaven. Still, to say GOW 3 have bad gameplay is like playing it on Casual or normal difficulty.

45. Michael O’Connor

@44 Even on hard it’s an incredibly basic game with very little depth to its gameplay mechanics. When I play God of War, I feel like my brain has completely disengaged itself from my body, after playing stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta.

And Vanquish, for that matter. Which is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AWESOME! *faint*

46. The Hindle

The consistant critical acclaim the games have recieved disagree with the dated mechanics statement though and multiple different journos have praised the level of depth in the game.

47. Erthazus

@45 Show me a trophie award where you beat it on hard if it is basic? I can show you mine. Mine is Platinum trophie.
    If you look at the reviews no one said about dated mechanics.
    They are very good in it’s own section.

PS: Vanquish is awesome. I completely agree.

48. Michael O’Connor

@47 I was referring to the first two games.

The demo and gameplay videos of the third was sufficient enough to convince me of how regressive its gameplay was, and I choose not to buy it.

@46 Forrest Gump and Titanic garnered loads of “critical acclaim”. That doesn’t mean they deserved it.

As for those journos, I can safely say that most of them were either too scared of offending gamers by rating such a big title poorly, or don’t have standards. Gaming is notorious for scoring everything way too high.

Both Dante’s Inferno and Ninja Blade are superior games to God of War in every way, and they’re titles I would rate on the *lower* leg of spectacle fighters.

I also think Mortal Kombat is shit. Does that make me elitist? No, it just means I have an arbitrary understanding of what makes a good fighting game.

49. The Hindle

Wow just wow.

50. zoopdeloop

@48 the same could be said about Halo right? loads of critical acclaim from the audience and the press.That doesn’t mean it deserves it.

51. Gadzooks!

Part of the problem with gow’s combat is uninteruptable moves. Some combo moves are very long and you cant dodge or jump mid-move.

Dante’s inferno is a good example of taking gow’s formula and improving pretty much every aspect of the combat. Its got less controller lag, you can break out of combos with dodge/jump and a much more advanced upgrade system.

52. Erthazus

“Dante’s Inferno and Ninja Blade ”

LOL? You serious? Please stop. This is even more than hillarious.

“Forrest Gump and Titanic garnered loads of “critical acclaim”. That doesn’t mean they deserved it.”

Forrest Gump and Titanic deserved the award. 2 great works in the holywood. If you didn’t like the movies than it’s your opinion. I didn’t liked Titanic at all but it’s well deserved all the awards it got.

“Almost every serious spectacle fighter fan I know can’t stand God of War, and at the end of the day, they’re the only people whose opinions matter.”

I’m a fighter fan and i don’t think that God Of War or Mortal Kombat is shit. They are all different. DIFFERENT in it’s own genre.

@Gadzooks

“you can break out of combos with dodge/jump and a much more advanced upgrade system.”

Fuck off Xbot. you know about God Of War nothing. You are noob. first of all you can break out of combos and jump. Need me to show you Platinum trophie retard? Or youtube videos?

Dante’s Inferno have better upgrade system? You mean tree skill system? Oh WOW, such an advancement from a DIABLO!!!1111. There is so much depth in it i must say.

FYI stupid. God Of War was never deep at the META Gameplay style. David Jaffe hate this type of gameplay from the start and thats the right decision, because your brain must focus on other aspects of the gameplay. All slashers do that in most cases (Except Diablo because it’s an Hack and Slash RPG game)
    god Of war: Ghost of Sparta again, won’t use that system either because you just don’t need it.
    The main focus of the hack and slash game is to learn the mechanics and use them against the rules of the designer.

Diablo in this case is RPG game, you need +1 Stamina + 2 strength and e.t.c. in certain skill depending on your build. Dante’s Inferno don’t have that depth. You don’t need it. You can’t construct Builds in Dante’s Inferno.

53. Lord Gremlin

Sales are not hight because the fourth game is shit. And we have Bayonetta, which makes DMC look like an ugly mistake.

P.S. Dante’s Inferno is a horrid piece of shit, while GoW3 is a marvelous game. Although GoW3 does not compete with DMC.

54. Michael O’Connor

@50 Except there is nothing wrong with Halo’s gameplay. People constantly ignore the innovations it has brought to the market in numerous areas just because it’s “the popular game” and it’s “cool” to insult popular stuff.

Gadzooks, you got a Gamertag or PSN ID? Always fun to play with people who appreciate game mechanics.

55. DaMan

Forrest Gump and Titanic are truly shit btw :P

56. The Hindle

@ 55 Holy shit for once i actually agree with you. :D This isnt good.

57. DaMan

:D

58. YoungZer0

@30: So it take it that ALL of his game are pure parody? Also i never said DMC is boring, just that that one thing bores me.

59. zoopdeloop

i’ve been here for quite some time now and i have come to a conclusion when it comes to some users.They’re depressing…beyond help.
    You are bashing TEA for his fanboyism which is going over the edge with insults and such while some of you here are in fact far much worse than him.

At least he shows some originality and some times(very few) a little decency and respect and other times he shows admiration for a game which is not on his “beloved” ps3 while some of you bash(or show with your comments zero admiration,insulting other’s tastes) everything related exclusively to Sony either you own the console or not.

60. Michael O’Connor

@59 Whose that aimed at?

61. The Hindle

Yep Zoop, Michael O connor and Gadzooks forming some sort of coalition, VG247s version of Pinky and the Brain.

62. Michael O’Connor

AND LARRY!

63. Erthazus

@55 I think you don’t like them.

Personally i enjoyed Forest Gump but didn’t liked Titanic at all. But they are not shit. They deserved awards in my opinion.

@O’Connor

“Except there is nothing wrong with Halo’s gameplay. People constantly ignore the innovations it has brought to the market in numerous areas just because it’s “the popular game” and it’s “cool” to insult popular stuff.”

I like popular stuff a lot and Halo is popular in most cases in USA.
    Ok, i’m asking again, what innovations?

64. The Hindle

Yea Daman is Larry definatly.

65. zoopdeloop

@60 It’s aimed at a bunch of VG247′s users,who know who and what they are.
    As i said they show zero admiration or if you prefer they are very nit picky when a Sony related article shows up while they also don’t respect other’s tastes.If someone here is one of these users doesn’t need me to tell him,he already knows it…that he is depressing

66. DaMan

nah, TH.

67. Michael O’Connor

@63 They popularised the recharging shield mechanics in Halo 1, removing health-packs from FPS games overnight. Their matching-making system in Halo 2, which has been ripped off by everyone under the sun since, and the media sharing and level editing abilities of Halo 3, something which hadn’t been seen on consoles at all up to that point.

I can safely say that each Halo game had at least one feature of element that directly influenced the genre significantly in one way or the other.

I’m not even a big fan of Halo. That doesn’t mean I’m going to underplay its importance. It’s up there with games like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario World as far as genre defining goes.

68. YoungZer0

Level Editing? What about FarCry Instincts for the XBox?

69. zoopdeloop

@50 to me and to many other gamers out there everything is wrong with Halo and it’s gameplay.
    It doesn’t deserve so much praise.Yet i respect other gamer’s tastes and i avoid talking about the subject since i really don’t care about it.

70. Michael O’Connor

@68 I’ll concede that point about FarCry Instincts. Forgot about that game. Never played it.

71. Erthazus

@67 For a console. Gosh… Everything what you said was done on the PC before.
    If someone made for a console it’s not a revolution. Maybe revolution for some person who is new to the gaming, it’s his problems but Halo have Zero innovations in reality.

PS: Halo 1 didn’t removed Health packs. You need them a lot in the first game. They didn’t vanish.

Asides of that, even if game had revolutionary ideas (Lets say it has), it’s not a good game and this is the most important part of any game.

the best FPS on Xbox 1 i remember that is not underrated was Chronicles of Riddick. That was a masterpiece.

@zoopdeloop, Hey, you can call me idiot already. You think i don’t read your comments? ;)
    BTW, i’m not insulting anyone. Who likes Halo, let it be. But i have my own opinion on that and i share. Someone agree someone thinks that i’m a stupid or an idiot. It’s fine with me.

72. Michael O’Connor

@71 The point is that it brought it to a console audience. I’m well aware all that stuff was available on PC for almost a decade beforehand.

Does that make LittleBigPlanet any less important of a game? No. I would say LittleBigPlanet is probably *the* single handedly most important and innovative game of the current generation of consoles, simply because it showed us that you didn’t *need* a PC to embrace player created content.

“Maybe revolution for some person who is new to the gaming.”

The whole goddamn problem with gaming right now is that none of the different camps want to get along. They’re all full of elitist snobs who don’t want to have anything to do with the other.

Lord forbid we all just appreciate each format for its merits and strengths.

73. The Hindle

Its about respect other peoples tastes, be it GOW or Halo, i know some hack and slash fans who love GOW same with shooter fans and Halo. A fanboy is someone who claims to speak for an entire fanbase. I agree with Zoop, people nitpick so much at Sony on here its unbelivable be it LBP sales or GOW or GT, the amount of fanboysim it attracts is amazing.

74. Erthazus

“The point is that it brought it to a console audience.”

Well thats a fact, but it’s not the reason to go apeshit about it. Look at the game now, it’s just … Well you know…. Bad.

“Does that make LittleBigPlanet any less important of a game? No”

By the way about revolution. First one was just innovative in some ways. It was fun, but the second game is just pure revolution. It was not done even in the PC space before if i’m not mistaken.
    Now you are creating your own Games. It’s whole new level. Just my offtopic thoughts.

“Or to people who either don’t want to spend money on a hardcore PC, don’t have the money to do so, or simply prefer consoles.”

1) PC’s cost not much at that time. + it’s just ignorant people
    2) Ok you prefer consoles, except that FPS is a home to the PC.

75. Michael O’Connor

@73 I always found the drama over LittleBigPlanet’s sales hilarious.

A little noticed remark by Andrew House during gamescom pointed out that since released, the game has gone on to sell over 4.5 million copies…

…man, what a flop! *sarcasm*

@74 “Now you are creating your own Games. It’s whole new level.”

Now this I can agree with. The scope of LBP2 is absolutely mindblowing. Can’t wait.

76. DaMan

uh, wish you all weren”t just text on screen..

TH enough with that generalizing, speak for yourself really.

77. The Hindle

I am speaking for myself, another comment i dont understand from you dude.

78. DaMan

generalizing. it’s bad.

79. The Hindle

You call it generalizing, i call it analysis.

80. DaMan

analyze separately.

81. zoopdeloop

Everything comes down to preferences.The best thing to do is respect other’s preferences even if they contradict with yours.If there’s a game or a system you don’t like,don’t care simply don’t talk about it and move along to something that’s more to your liking, this will not show you as an elitist snob…this will show some respect and dignity out from you simple as that ;)

82. zoopdeloop

TH i find you one of the few reasonable and decent people around here… which is your PSN and XBLA accounts?i would like to add you on my friends lists if you don’t mind

83. MushroomStamp

I believe, aside from the “geek” & “i love japanimation/mech”, western buyers just don’t relate to the characters, style, and story. That style is a niche`, and the truth is most westerners will over look a great game if it looks “japanesey”.

84. DaMan

never understood people who enjoy ‘relating’ to characters in videogames, why would you want to play something you see everyday?..

85. mington

New mega man looks like dirt

86. Michael O’Connor

@84 Ditto. Same goes for movies and books.

87. The Hindle

Sure Zoop its Zero Empathy on Live and t67749 on PSN, anyone else add me if you want.

88. YoungZer0

@84: Because it’s closer to their understanding. If you can’t relate, you don’t care.

It would also be nice to see Dante fight against some Monsters just for his goal and not to rescue the world. Give him some flaws. Make him 3D not 1D.

89. DaMan

perception? I know, I could never sympathize with that, why would one want something like that from the character.

he isn’t that much of 1d either, if you played through the third game in particular, and he didn’t quite fight for saving the world, even in the original.

90. freedoms_stain

Dante never fights “to save the world” he’s a paid devil hunter, a merc, he does the job he’s paid to do, it just so happens that family ties into most of the games (we’ll ignore DMC2, it was shite and too easy).

So I reckon to claim the character of Dante is 1D would suggest you never bothered to take heed of what was going on.

91. YoungZer0

@89: Forget it, if you want to play stupid, play it alone. I won’t bother anymore.

@90: Okay, he’s not 1 Dimensional, but he’s pretty close to it. Like most Capcom characters he throws one one-liner after another. There is a little bit depth, yes, but i see more potential there, and so far Capcom refused to use that.

92. DaMan

whatever, my point is basically why would you want to play a life. that I could never see. I enjoy fantasy, weird stories myself, characters that don’t exist in your everyday life, what’s fun about playing something you can do daily (so to speak) AND even more so being virtual yourself.

93. YoungZer0

So, erm who said the game shouldn’t be fantasy? Who said that Dante should be more like me? I want him to be less perfect, that’s all.

94. DaMan

fine then, less perfect is one thing.

that’s not what i meant though. I was originally talking about people enjoying characters they can actually relate to. in which case they basically play as virtual themselves, doing something you can feel anyday.

95. YoungZer0

So let me ask you this question: Can you only relate to yourself? Because i can even relate to Kane & Lynch, and i’m not like any of those bastards. Just because someone can relate to someone else doesn’t mean he’s exactly or similar to that person.

96. onlineatron

I’m with, and against YoungZer0 on this one.

Whilst I don’t think Devil May Cry is the place for it… I do want to see games dealing with larger (yet more intimate issues).

Issues such as isolation, hurt, loss, loneliness, joy, anger, sexuality, friendship, envy, etc (you know, the usual emo shtick :/).

The new Persona team game ‘Catherine’ looks to be asserting itself as a game that will deal with a dark side of sexuality. The plot is along the lines of: A protagonist having given up on women/sex until he meets a young woman (ten years his younger) who reignites his lust.

Whilst it looks very, very, VERY (hella) Japanese and kooky, I real think it could work.

I want to be emotionally attached to characters as it helps you can when narrative hit points occur and a GREAT way of gaining this attachment is via relatable caricaturisation.

I’m very tired so I’m struggling to word myself here, but i’m very much in favour of videogames following a more human route rather than being overtly fantastical.

97. DaMan

to something close enough in terms of perception. anyway like I said that was my implication. by ‘relate’ I meant you can ‘become’ the character. that is he is close enough to you. you can’t really become someone with whom you share nothing considerable.

@96 yeah, uh in a way about right. can’t sympathize with that myself.

98. famalegoods128

free shipping
    High-Quality. Low Prices. First-class Service
    Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
    Here, there’s good news to tell you: The company recently
    launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
    and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary, please
    input:
    ——————–
    Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
    New era cap $15
    Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
    Handbags(Coach,ed hardy,lv,d&g) $33
    Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
    Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini)$16
    Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

Additionally, we also free shipping、Only charge a small Insurance.
    Thanks to the support!

/l;’9u[

99. AHA-Lambda

not to bring up the god of war thing again but does no one else think the first is the best in terms of its story? This vid i saw on the escapist highlights what i have thought about the series very well. And to be fair i like gow but i never loved it (and like i said i always thought the first was the best)

Everyone always said i was stupid in gamefaqs tard style manner whenever i brought it up tho >_> feel slightly vindicated now tho :P

100. LOLshock94

thats bad isnt it….

101. Erthazus

@AHA-LAmbda, first game is the best game of them all because behind the full design was DAVID JAFFE.
    Second game was also good in it’s story, but it was designed in half by David Jaffe and third in it’s story is a conclusion and it’s ok.