Three “big announcements” from Valve in next 12 months, says Gabe

Wednesday, 1st September 2010 13:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Episode Two

Does one of them begin with E and end with pisode Three?

Valve boss Gabe Newell has said the developer has three “big announcements” coming in the next year.

Jebus prays for Ep Three.

“I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do. That isn’t going to stop any time soon,” Newell told PC Gamer.

“I’m just laughing because… people will be shocked again.”

He added: “We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least.”

Half-Life 2: Ep Three has been in development for a long time, with virtually nothing shown.

Valve said it had a massive surprise for E3 involving Portal 2, but had cancelled it before it took place, only to end up with Gabe appearing at Sony’s presser to announce the game for PS3.

Now, do it again, only sooner. And with Episode Three.

1. AHA-Lambda

WOOOAH!!!

ok ep3
    dota?

what else? cs 2?

2. Callum

3 announcements? Hmmm…Portal 2 is already out there right? I hope one of them isnt to do with Team fortress 3 or what ever. EP3, L4D3 and a new unnanounced IP based on being a fairy??

3. Erthazus

Probably New Counter-Strike game. well that would be badass.

4. Patrick Garratt

Half-Life 3′s one of them, surely?

5. farmoore

I bet its new/improved source engine along with hl3.

6. Michael O’Connor

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that Episode 3 isn’t going to happen, and that story will likely be finished off in a full blown sequel.

I think it’s about time for a L4D3 announcement as well.

7. Aimless

So, Episode Three now a Facebook exclusive?

8. Freek

@4 If not, there will probably be rioting, or atleast sweary e-mails.

9. Johnny Cullen

If it’s not Episode Three or Half-Life 3, people are going to go raving bonkers.

10. Dralen

If it’s Half-Life 3 or CS2 I will literally shit my pants.

11. DarkElfa

1. Gabe is a woman.

2. TEA is actually Michael Pachter is actually Bobby Kotick is actually Michael O’Connor.

3. HUH…

5. Johnny Cullen is actually every registered user on the site except myself, TEA and Michael O’Connor.

Pie.

12. Callum

lol. You’ll find that garratt is actually all of the above. He is just trying to make the site seem popular!

13. Callum

p.s not played the half life games, didnt have a PC when they were released all them years ago! They still worth playing ?

14. Erthazus

@13 LOL? Are you serious? *blown away*

Start from the first game right now.

15. LORANT92

One of them will probably be Dota related.

And I hope that at least one of the remaining two has something to do with Half-Life.

16. No_PUDding

In all honesty, Half Life is a challenge to go back to.

It has aged about as well as the other PS one era videogames.

If you’ve waited this long, then just wait for the Black Mesa Source mod.

17. AHA-Lambda

@13 – get the valve complete pack on steam

NOW!!!

18. Dralen

@13 Dude! Get Half-life 2 right now!!!! Going back to half-life 1 would probably be hard because it’s really old now, but Half-life 2 and the episodes are frigging amazing.

19. LOLshock94

hopfuly it aint l4d3 maybe dlc for portal

20. Erthazus

Half-Life 1 is never old. Actually Without first part you are going to miss 50% of the whole story. First part is very important. It’s even more important than the second game with all episodes combined. In the first one you are going to Zen, they are showing you what happened in the Black Mesa. There is also a little history about G-Man.
    Not to mention about Opposing Force.

I can’t understand people who will try to play any Half-Life game without the first ones.

+ Portal is also in the Half-Life universe. It’s also important.

21. DSB

Time for people to get all psyched up about Half-Life 3 or Episode 3, just so Gabe can turn them into whining ninnies again.

I don’t get why people bother at this point, clearly he enjoys taking the piss.

22. LOLshock94

hopfully it is the first 1 cause i never get the story or the random stalker with the suit case

23. freedoms_stain

@16, Black Mesa? Beginning to think that’s a massive overly long running joke.

I’m tired of waitin, ain’t gonna happen.

P.S. I’m getting really freakin fed up of having to ctrl+c everything I type on this website.

24. Michael O’Connor

@23 For me, simply pressing refresh works. It keeps it in memory and re-submits it.

Still annoying though.

25. freedoms_stain

@24, on any modern browser yes, hell even my Android browser, but we’re rawkin IE6 old skool here at my place of employ and that sadly does not work.

26. Aimless

@23 Funnily enough a short preview appeared yesterday. According to that the game’s pretty much built up to Xen, albeit with lots of tweaking still to be done.

At least it’s showing some signs of life.

27. Dr.Ghettoblaster

O’Connors right. They should just announce Half-Life 3 with an entirely brand new engine at this point.

28. spiderLAW

Dont listen to whoever says to skip over Half-Life 1. Half-Life 1 is still a really good game and is very challenging. Half-Life was the first FPS to incorporate a story into the actual gameplay without the use of cutscenes or written summaries. I just played through the single player campaing about 6months ago or the 15th-20th time. I still play Half-Life deathmatch from time to time. Half-life 2 was just as epic as well. For a few years there wasnt any games that even came close to Hal-Life 2 in terms of graphics, gameplay, and physics (they were the first to use Havok). Like Erth said, Half-Life 1′s story is extremely important.

@Erth! what is your steam account name. I want to add you. Maybe sometime we can play some Half-Life1 or 2 deathmatch.

29. The Hindle

E3 2011 count on it guys.

30. Yoshi

Left4Dead3, Left4Dead4 and Left4Dead5 LOL XD

31. osric90

1. Episode Three out for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 virtually and phisically.
    2. “PS3 is important to us” being demonstrated by “The Half-Life Experience” a pack that includes Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two and Episode Three plus Deathmatch for Source and 2.
    3. Half-Life Three announced for 2013.

32. freedoms_stain

@26, it wouldn’t be the 1st time they’d done something like that. They like to dribble out some media every 12-18 months.

33. spiderLAW

Black Mesa Source wont be released untill 2020 at the rate they are going. By then it will be irrelevant.

34. Callum

*hangs head in shame* I will purchase them all on steam today, and play them over the weekend. I am sorry if I have let anyone down.

35. DUFFKING

Good stuff sir.

Opposing Force is also pretty good, Blue Shift is ok but too short.

I still think HL1 is a little better than HL2 as well, but they’re still the best FPS games on the market.

36. spiderLAW

Oh yeah! Opposing Force! was a great addition to Half-Life. Like Duffking said, Blue shift was okay but too short.

37. Rudderless

One of them’s a Wii game. That’d be a pretty big surprise.

38. Callum

@ Rudderless, omg a Wii port of the origional portal. epic.

39. mojo

bring hl3 and cs2. else, gtfo tbh

40. mojo

oh wait
    “people will be shocked”

cs (2) on consoles.
    cant imagine a bigger shock

it will errupt

41. Clashback

It’s gotta be episode 3. I got the feeling that the last ‘surprise/announcement’ went the wrong way since everybody went nuts over a possible announcement of Ep3.

They probably wont make the same mistake twice I guess… Else, indeed gtfo

42. Michael O’Connor

Episode 3 is not going to happen. They’re going to end up making a Half Life 3 to continue the story. I would think that would be obvious by now.

43. Bond James Bond

Half-Life 2: EP 3 PC exclusive…

44. spiderLAW

Im with Michael on this one.
    Half-Life 3 will be one, Left for Dead 3 (or 1 and 2 on PS3), and Counter Strike 2 (to get in on the COD money)

All of the above announced and i will have a fucking heart attack

45. themadjock

I think Portal and Half-life will merge as the whole aperture science theme is in both. A gravity/portal gun in HL3 would just be incredible. They said before near HL2Ep2 time that that wouldn’t happen due to the problems involved using the portal gun in the open-ish HL universe. Given the time with NO news on Ep3 I wouldn’t be so sure they haven’t been working on this but just keeping it hush hush. I would rather they tell us nothing than some ass hack their servers again and steal the game further delaying the end product because god knows Valve like to take their sweet time .. a bit like Blizzard but I think we all agree it’s worth it in the end :)