EU Vanquish demo pulled back on 360

Wednesday, 1st September 2010 13:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

vanquish7

Sega said today that the European version of the Vanquish demo won’t release for 360 until tomorrow, despite it hitting the US yesterday.

Good news for PS3 owners, though.

“The Playstation Network demo will still be released today – hopefully sometime this afternoon,” said Sega in a statement.

“The Xbox Live demo will now be available on Xbox Live Marketplace September 2.”

The teaser for Platinum sci-fi actioner went live in America yesterday.

Vanquish releases on October 19 in the US and October 22 in the UK for PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Robo_1

Enjoyed the piss out of the demo. Tougher than I thought it would be, but it delivers the action in spades. No tech problems in the PS3 version either, so looks like Platinum have got their tech in order this time out, and of course it helps that the game has lead on the platform.

2. AHA-Lambda

just tried it and it kicks ass!!! definitely a day one purchase now :D

3. Lord Gremlin

Played the PS3 version and it’s great. Does it run at 60 FPS like Dante’s Inferno?

4. Michael O’Connor

I’m not sure, but it certainly feels like it. Lord know it’s blindingly fast at any rate.

This is probably going to end up being my game of the year.

5. AHA-Lambda

it runs at 30fps

6. Aimless

@3 Nope, it’s a 30fps game. It plays really well, though, and half the people who’ll complain about it not running at 60 require other people to tell them whether it is or not, so…

Anyway, you should be able to find the 360 demo via torrent sites and the like if you can’t wait until tomorrow. Looks like they’ve taken it off the US Marketplace now, so who knows what’s going on.

7. Robo_1

It’s pulled from the US marketplace too?? The plot thickens! Maybe it was causing too many people motion sickness. lol

8. frostquake

PAT..SOMEONE…Can Anyone Tell me why??

I downloaded it at around 3-4am Central US time on my Xbox 360…It plays fine, and it is a Blast!! Um, called Xbox Live and the poor guy/girl??? from India was clueless why it was pulled….

Is it buggy..if so I will stop playing it…??? Is it safe to play still???

9. Mike W

Yea I noticed that it was pulled from the Xbox Live marketplace this morning.

So I played it on my PS3, the demo is excellent. Good job for PG for making the game same across both platforms.

10. Patrick Garratt

Not sure. I’ll ask.

11. Aimless

@7 Well, it shows up under Game Demos on the US site but the link takes you here. If you search for “Vanquish” nothing comes up at all, not even a game page.

12. frostquake

@ Aimless… I downloaded it before they pulled it. MS had the Vanquish Demo up for at least an hour..because I downloaded it between 3-4am Central, and it plays fine on my Xbox 360…Just really curious why they pulled it??? If it is buggy I will quit playing it, but it is a BLAST!!

13. Aimless

If it posed any risk to your console I’m sure Microsoft would have said something. I imagine it was pulled due to backstage machinations or technicalities rather than anything actually being fundamentally wrong with demo itself.

Look at it this way: if your 360 blows up at least you’ll probably get your own story on VG247. Silver lining, right?

14. theevilaires

oooooooh this is big, played it last night and can’t wait to buy the real thing for some hot trophy action.

15. MushroomStamp

I was looking forward to this game till I played the demo last night. It’s just too frantic for me and felt too “mechy”. Not my cup of tea. Also didnt’ care for the rather short viewing distance, everything was rather close.

16. osric90

The demo was AWESOME. I was desperate if you remember my posts, hahaha. BUT Something I noticed was that you aren’t allowed to move slower when the left analog stick is pulled halfway and you aren’t allowed to “change shoulders” either (like in MGS4 or Uncharted for example, to be more comfortable when an angle is not) that causes you to get out of your cover to aim correctly and can cost you losing. Those two thingys kept me the game from being PERFECT. Nowadays I consider those two something important. If anyone can tell Sega and/or Platinum about this would be cool…but even if the game comes out exactly like the demo, it will OWN the year (at least in its genre) graphics are smooth, beautiful, characters are charismatic and enjoyable, action is (cliché) frenetic, music is crazy and Elena is super hot.

17. xino

I’ve been skeptical about this game, to me its just another generic shooter.

but playing the demo is sick! I still won’t buy it, I would rent instead.
    Because character development is a been there done that, story/missions/objective feels like Arcade style like Lost Planet.

But the thing I feel that makes this game unique is the fast pace action. Feels like a hack n slash but in 3rd person shooter.

18. DrDamn

I didn’t enjoy it much either. Controlled ok bar a few quirks – having to go into cover before climbing over something for example. The fast action also caught me with a few insta-deaths too, which isn’t good. Big stuff just appearing above my head an crushing me with no warning.

Gave up on the boss fight after about 4 tries and running out of ammo forcing me down to the lower level and stompy insta-death.

I think it’s got a lot of nice ideas for people to like, and crucially maintains a Japanese feel whilst taking on some Western control ideas. It’s just not for me.

19. DaMan

finally played it today, my verdict: okay, nothing particularly impressive however. I see this being a 7-8 rated game (going by GamesTM/Edge system of course). the lack of any multiplayer is really surprising though, and I believe it will negatively affect this title.

I was wrong thinking it’s anything similar to Armored Core, but neither are Gears.. it’s basically Platinum’s take on Lost Planet. it reminds me of an old PS2 KOEI title, Crimson Sea as well, but with considerably more deep and varied gameplay.