AMD to drop ATI brand

Tuesday, 31st August 2010 09:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ati

AMD said today that ATI graphics cards are soon to become a thing of the past.

“The timing is right as far as we’re concerned,” an AMD spokesman told The Register, saying that the company’s brand strategy is moving to a “customer-centric approach” and away from processer-centric branding.

According to that report, AMD’s Radeon and FirePro brands will remain, but will be transitioned to the AMD brand when the next-generation Radeon GPUs appear later this year.

Research has shown AMD that its own brand is stronger than the ATI brand.

A company release explained that the survey, which polled “several thousand ‘discrete graphics aware’ respondents” in the US, UK, Germany, China, Japan, Brazil, and Russia discovered that the AMD brand was stronger than ATI’s when compared with other graphics competitors.

AMD is preparing to launch its Fusion line of APUs — accelerated processing units — which include CPU, GPU, and other circuitry in the same product.

There’s plenty more through there.

1. Dralen

I actually thought it was the opposite of this.

2. Crysis

so they’re JUST changing their name on their graphics cards to match their actual companies name?

3. Erthazus

@2 They are changing it because new chips are from AMD. They just don’t want to confuse people.

4. Crysis

but ATi is AMD is it not? always thought ATi was just the name slapped onto AMD’s brand of graphics cards..
    (Edit) just looked it up & found that ATi was bought out by AMD 4 years ago, no i haven’t been living in a cave, just started being interested in computing electronics about 2 years ago, probably because that’s when i got my 1st computer to myself capable of proper gaming

5. Erthazus

@4 AMD Own ATI Brand and Radeon brand. They bought it few years back and now they are making graphics cards that will use processing and graphical power together, so to not confuse people about the brands they are going to call it AMD.

Radeon will still be there.

6. freedoms_stain

There are a lot of idiots who think ATi cards only work with AMD cpus and mobo’s, this will probably just enhance that incorrect view.

7. Crysis

@6 LOL! i’m guessing these are grandparents & inexperianced kids you’re talking about

8. Erthazus

@6 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/30/amd_to_dump_ati_brand/

I don’t think that there are idiots that think that it will work only with AMD CPU’s. Facepalm* thats too much. :D

9. freedoms_stain

@7, I used to be a regular contributer in the tech thread of a particular forum and you would not believe the number of times someone would come in and ask “This is what I have (Intel based machine), what gpu should I upgrade to?” And some complete moron would come in and say “you have to get nVidia, ATi only work with AMD!!!!!!!!”

We’re talking first hand experience here.

10. Happy Hardon Harry

Much prefer Nvidia cards, personally, due to their proprietary technology (CUDA, PhysX, etc) also, i found that older games (from 2000-onwards) have better compatibility on Nvidia cards, especially if the game is under their “The Way It’s Meant To Be Played” campaign.

Getting older games to run on AMD cards can be a bastard, some won’t run at all.

In that case i always go with Nvidia, even if i have to pay a little more.

It’s not just todays games that matter when choosing a card, it’s also about the games that were released throughout the past decade.

11. G1GAHURTZ

I still associate AMD with a K6-2 processor that I had ages ago.

It was really slow, so I replaced it with a PIII.

12. theevilaires

BDH house walls are filled with punch holes right about now :D

13. GwynbleiddiuM

They should drop the AMD, cuz bro ATI is by far a superior brand. You know what I think they are jealous of ATI’s success. AMD rapidly failing to earn the trust of consumers over Intel, and ATI keeps earning those trust over nVidia, ATI was very successful since Radeon 4000 series while AMD couldn’t make the same progress in the CPU market. As a result they told themselves “yeah let’s drop ATI branding and put AMD on our VGAs, this way we can hijack ATI’s success and tie it to AMD. This plan is so genius that can blow the market’s mind.”

@10 dude what R ye talkin about?! seriously? I’m an ATI owner and since Raddeon 9600XT till now I am still a happy owner with an ATI R5850. Never experienced any difficulties with my Radeons, I have a 8800GTS which was my previous card I mean before 5850. ATI and NVIDIA are both good brands and in ATI’s case you always get more than you pay while with NVIDIA you always pay more than you get, in the same class of graphics cards.

14. Happy Hardon Harry

What part of “personally” did you not understand?!

15. Psychotext

“BDH house walls are filled with punch holes right about now”

I believe he’s a Nvidia / Intel fanboy so he’s probably fairly pleased about the whole thing.

16. G1GAHURTZ

tea, did you see that Dualshock coffee table I posted in the forum?

17. theevilaires

Yes I did G1GA it was not that appealing :D I rather shop at IKEA with their cheap overpriced items.

18. G1GAHURTZ

Cool!

19. LordCancer

number 13 is joking right? I like ati and I’m okay with this move. Amd owns ati and have been responsible for there current success. So good for them. I ordered new parts that’ll be here tomorrow, its an amd/ati rig.