Arcania – Gothic 4 gives up direct-feed 360 gameplay videos

Friday, 27th August 2010 09:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gothic42

The latest in JoWood’s longstanding RPG series, Arcania – Gothic 4, will release on PS3 and 360 as well as PC. Want to see what it looks like on consoles? You, son, are in luck.

IGN’s posted up four direct-feed movies from the 360 version, as seen below.

One is the game’s first mission, which apparently involves hitting giant beavers with a shepherd’s crook.

There’s some story stuff there, a bit fighting a winged demon and a troll battle. The troll loses.

The PC and 360 versions are releasing on October 12, while the PS3 version has been pushed packed into the second quarter of 2011. Hard lines.

Look and see.

1. Blerk

Looks alright from those small clips. Do PC gamers like this series? I’ve sort of heard of it but I couldn’t tell you anything at all about it.

2. StolenGlory

It looks like it could be an Oblivion esque title to me.

I’ll keep an eye on it methinks.

3. ww3pl

@Blerk
    Well, the series have been great, at least when you take only first two parts of it. The 3rd one was just ‘ok’, but the 4th looks absolutely like a non-Gothic game (maybe because, for the first time in the series, absolutely other studio, Spellbound, is responsible for it). Piranha Bytes, the creators of Gothic, got fired and made their new game, Risen.

If you loved Risen, you’ll definitely love previous Gothics.

4. Blerk

I never played Risen in the end after all the talk of it being “buggy as shit”. I’ll keep an eye on this one, though.

5. RickyWicky

These gameplay videos kind of changed my feelings about this game. I was really looking forward to this but…I dunno, now. Maybe it’s just me?

6. CenoBit

Gothic is a bug-ridden, heavy-as-hell gaming series.

And it also happens to be one of the best RPG series out there. Of all the RPGs I’ve played in my life (and there have been many) Gothic II, is probably the one I’ve replayed more than 4-5 times. And let me tell you something… it’s not a small game.

So, in other words, Gothic without bugs is just not Gothic. I’m pretty sure there will be bugs (hopefully less than in Gothic III and about as many as in Gothic II), like there were even in Risen, Piranha Byte’s supposedly “non-rushed Gothic”.

For anyone who loves RPGs (the real ones, not the ones where a japanese hot chick is flying on a cloud and takes turns in a fight with a chicken, or a pokemon is evolving) Gothic 4 is one of these games everyone should look forward to.

I know I do.

7. CenoBit

And one last thing:
    I’ll be getting it for X360 for two reasons:
    a)I don’t have a PC – I have a Mac.
    b)I can’t wait for the PS3 release.

However, if you have a PC powerful enough to run the game, you should ALWAYS choose the PC version over the X360/PS3 one. An RPG is always best played in a PC.

8. Uncontested

I still am unable to play the copy of Gothic 3 I bought while I was in Iraq back in 2006 (Amazon+laptop ftw) I’ve tried all the patches, 3 different PCs. Game is a complete joke.

But.. Risen was a great game, so hopefully they build off that for this game.