Kitase: Final Fantasy development time “hopefully” shorter “next time”

Thursday, 26th August 2010 09:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

final fantasy

FF XIII producer, Yoshinori Kitase, has said development time for Final Fantasy “next time around” will “hopefully” be shorter.

“Obviously we now have consoles with much better specifications. The graphical quality we should target at is a lot higher, so it takes a long time to achieve that quality,” he told GamingUnion at gamescom last week.

“And Final Fantasy XIII, for example, was the first ever numbered Final Fantasy for Xbox 360 and PS3, so we really wanted to make it absolutely perfect, and it took a long time to make it perfect. But maybe next time around we need a much shorter time.”

When asked if he meant the next numbered installment in the series that would take less time, Kitase replied: “Yes, yes, hopefully.”

No-one’s ever actually mentioned the name of the next game in the series.

FF XIII released back in March for PS3 and 360, while MMO XIV launches next month on PC. The PS3 version comes out in March 2011.

1. Blerk

Here’s an idea, Mr Kitase – perhaps next time you could spend more time on the actual game and a bit less time on the graphics?

2. Happy Hardon Harry

Gamers still care about FF? I feel for the 3+ million fuck-wits that bought FFXIII based on the name alone.

3. Freek

Takes time to get the flowing hair, zippers and belts just right…

4. Blerk

The could just put them all in jeans and t-shirts and save MILLIONS!

5. Blerk

Crew-cuts all round!

6. Spaced Oddity

Purchased FFXIII at half price a month after release, and I’m glad I did. I’m just now on my first playthrough (currently Chapter 9).

My 2 cents on the game:
    PROs: Great music; combat system evolves from simple to fast and complex, thanks to the Paradigm Shift; Eidolon battles are unique and exciting; Great production values, including updating Bestiary and information detailing story progression, character bios and geography, history and lore; gorgeous CGI cutscenes and detailed character/creature models. Sazh Katsroy is one of the best characters in the franchise and I absolutely love his interaction with the chocobo chick. The Crystalium System for upgrades is more stream-lined and less frustrating than the Sphere Grid from FFX.

CONs: Great story concept hindered by sometimes questionable writing; Cast of characters, so far, lack charisma and have little depth in personality (except Sazh), villains also plain and generic (Kefka and Sephiroth they aren’t); overall do not like the art direction (typical metrosexual Nomura) and Transformers-like Eidolons (hit or miss); environments look low-quality and dull compared to excellent character models; Very linear experience so far (not to Gran Pulse, yet), and I miss the townships and NPC interaction.

While it is a significant departure from my favorite Final Fantasy (6), I still consider the game to be enjoyable. I’d give it a 4 of 5 rating. People who bash it either: didn’t play beyond the first few hours or haven’t played it at all.

Hopefully, for the next title in the main series (excluding Nomura’s Vs XIII), they will take the many criticisms to heart, especially the exclusion of towns, linearity and near absense of exploration. Hopefully, they will ditch the sci-fi and go back to Steampunk/Industrial Revolution. Also, for fucksake, don’t try to make the series WESTERN! JRPGs are a dying breed, and personally, while they are decent, WRPGs don’t compensate for the lack there of.

Unless this is a case of developer PR hyperbole, I strongly disagree with Kitase’s claiming FFXIII is perfection; it IS good, but nowhere near as spectacular as 4, 6, 7 or 10. Square-Enix has been on a slippery slope this generation, so hopefully Nomura’s game will be what XIII failed to be.

7. Epic Fool

“Also, for fucksake, don’t try to make the series WESTERN! JRPGs are a dying breed, and personally, while they are decent, WRPGs don’t compensate for the lack there of.”

I wholeheartedly agree.

I like FFXIII, it shows great focus. ;)

8. DaMan

you can’t argue with guys who put FFX alongside VI.

9. Hybridpsycho

I feel like I shouldn’t bother to comment…

But I have to, FFXIII was and still is a horrible game in my opinion. The combat system could’ve used a complete revamp, I played through the first 18 hours of the game dying for some action. But all I got was one-button spamming with slow-dying enemies.

Oh, did I mention how none of the cutscenes really had alot of story-related content? It just felt like they were blabbering on about shit we didn’t actually give a fuck about and left us crying for more.

Also, to actually get to these cut-scenes you had to run through a linear enviroment (REALLY Beautiful though), with no real options to choose a path except choosing between just running past that item or picking it up. The enemies took a long time to die and it went an awful long time between see-worthy-cutscenes.
    You had to keep focusing on the nice Soundtrack while running if you were to prevent yourself from ripping your sack of and throwing it in the closest trash-disposal.

Oh, when it comes to the OST…WHEN DOES A JRPG NOT HAVE AN AWESOME FANFARE?!??!
    Adding some random, slow starting techno song as a fanfare is just horrible and should definetly be punishable by death.

Also, the character design/development was horrible.
    Just reading the names of the characters make me cry…
    Lightning? Hope? Snooow? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, what is next? SHIT?

Most of the characters were boring, whiny and you’d end up running into packs and not fighting back just so you could have the satisfaction of watching them die…

I didn’t do it when I played with Sazh though, this was probably the only character I did enjoy. A bit cliché, but still enjoyable.

Sure, I know everyone says that if you play for 20-25 hours the game DOES become better…but hello? Is this really a good thing? It’s like telling someone you’re beating up with a bat that you’re going to switch to a small stick after half an hour or so!

There are only a few plus with this game and that is the graphics and the enviroments, I REALLY enjoyed them and I’m quite sad the game turned out to be so full of shit.

I’m looking forward to a change of style though in FFXIII VERSUS, hopefully it doesn’t suck that much since they’re having completely diffrent combat style and mechanics.

Over N’ Out!