Bungie: “Safe to assume” Reach DLC will be “multiplayer-centric”

Thursday, 26th August 2010 10:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

haloreach13

Post-release Reach campaign content? Doesn’t sound like it. Maps are go, though.

“I think it’s safe to assume that we’re probably going to follow the type of model we have in the past, which would leave you to believe it’s probably multiplayer-centric,” Bungie’s Brian Jarrard, speaking at gamescom last week.

The developer said, though, that he was unable to offer any solid details on DLC plans for the shooter.

“Super-important”

In terms of general post-release support, however, Jarrard was more forthcoming.

“It’s super-important to us that we keep that pedigree; we have to support the game, we have to support our community,” he said.

“We do have a team of people that are dedicated to remaining focused on Reach for some length of time. I don’t know exactly what that’s going to entail yet. We’re still working through that.

“But, realistically I can tell you that there will be a point somewhere down the road where we will transition that responsibility over to our friends at Microsoft.

“Whenever and however that finally does occur, both sides are equally vested in making sure that the game experience and the community experience is still top notch, and that nobody suffers through that.”

Heavily supported

Halo 3 has been heavily supported with multiplay content since launch. Bungie release the Heroic Map Pack in December 2007, the Legendary Map Pack in April 2008, the Mythic Map Pack in April 2009 and the Mythic II Map Pack in February 2010.

No DLC has been released for Halo 3: ODST, but extra content did make a brief, apparently accidental appearance on Marketplace in mid-2009. The full game released at the end of last year.

Halo: Reach releases worldwide on September 14, and will see the largest marketing push yet from Microsoft.

1. Happy Hardon Harry

It’s Halo, therefore it’ll continue to be shit! Just like the rest of Microsoft’s IP.

2. justiceblob

@1 I pretty much agree with you there, but IMO, Fable is great, and Gears is OK. The rest can jog on.

3. Massiveslag

@1 Oh shut it you fucking fanboy. By your reckoning the millions of people who play Halo all over the world enjoy playing shit games. Retarded comment. I shouldn’t have expected any less from a moron who’s username is a take on a fucking Christian Slater movie.

4. Crysis

i believe they’re doing a huge forge world map based for most of their current maps, so maybe another forge world with each dlc with 5 or 6 pre-built templates? sounds good to me, & maybe add background effects, i would love the option of stormey, bright, raining & regular weather, all of that would be a nice touch

5. StolenGlory

@1 You got owned. Hard.

As far as myself goes, I don’t think I’ve been this excited about a Halo game since I put down the games I wanted with my original XBox back in 2001, when I filled out the pre-order slip :)

6. Happy Hardon Harry

Massiveslag said:
    August 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

7. _Sikamikanico_

What is it with all the Sony try-hards here lately? Have N4G stopped taking new members or something?

8. Psychotext

Oh sweet, this place is getting just like xbox live. Just need some racial slurs to go with the homo gif and general fuckwittery to round it out now.

9. AHA-Lambda

fucking hell why dont we have a rigid banning policy again?

10. Massiveslag

@1 & @6. Oh look at the pretty picture. Yes, you’re right; you are a homo. Good comeback retard.

11. Happy Hardon Harry

Halo
    Halo 2
    Halo 3
    Halo ODST
    Halo Reach

12. mington

i didn’t know we could post pictures

13. Freek

14. mington

hmmmm html and BB code don’t work…..how you do that…..actually it better if i dont know :P

15. Happy Hardon Harry

lol, you can’t do it. Why do fanboys take themselves so serious? It’s only a game for fuck sake. Get a life!!

16. DUFFKING

@HHH

It’s not our fault your mum and dad are siblings, so please don’t take it out on us.

ps the first person to use the term fanboy in a discussion is always the biggest

17. Happy Hardon Harry

DUFFKING said:
    August 26, 2010 at 11:23 am
    @HHH

18. Happy Hardon Harry

Bungie+MS+Fanboys=

19. mington

20. mington

21. Crysis

how do you do that? copy & paste?

22. mington

um i don’t know if i should tell……i’ll write it in the forum and if Pat doesn’t like it he can delete it

23. Gekidami

Use HTML tags.

24. Michael O’Connor

You just use simple HTML tags: a href=” blah blah blah.

Every time I see HHH post, he comes across as one of those gamers who doesn’t even *enjoy* the hobby.

25. Massiveslag

@HHH Get a life? Says the guy who has spent half his day posting pretty pictures. How about some crayons for your birthday? Or would you just eat them? Retard.

26. freedoms_stain

Some of you need to get acquainted with the phrase “Don’t feed the troll”.

27. LOLshock94

dunna if u have noticed that all of MS exclusives are all very good and get very good reviews but theyre not like sony where they just see a game and just make them exclusives so fuck your mother and suck my dick bitch

28. Psychotext

“How about some crayons for your birthday? Or would you just eat them?”

Ok… I’ll admit that made me laugh.

29. Michael O’Connor

@27 That doesn’t even make any sense.

And Modnation Racers is bloody awesome, so fuck you anyway! =P

30. Gadzooks!

Don’t blame the retards for posting rubbish. They don’t know any better.

Blame the site moderators for being COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS.

In truth I suspect they actually WANT these pathetic flame wars for site hits.

31. Kerplunk

@26 I think the trolls are actually feeding each other. :)

32. Michael O’Connor

@30 It’s called people having different opinions. Don’t be a crybaby.

33. Crysis

34. Gadzooks!

A difference of opinion between rational people can be discussed.

Trolls are not blanaced, rational or even sane people. They dont discuss, they fling shit at each other.

35. Herlock

Gears its own by Epic ;)

36. justiceblob

@35 Gears is entirely owned and controlled by Microsoft Games Studios.

37. Michael O’Connor

@36 No, it isn’t.

38. Aimless

@36 Are you calling Mark Rein a liar? I hear he can get pretty aggressive so you should probably take it back.

39. Happy Hardon Harry

Massiveslag said:
    August 26, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Massiveslag, i think you’re turning Gay!

You like games that have big, macho men, with “big guns”.

40. LOLshock94

and your names harry thats pretty gay enough

41. StolenGlory

Holy shit. Not only can we put pictures in our threads, but we can also, on the evidence of this thread at least, seemingly import WHOLE threads from Neo:GAF.

;)

42. Massiveslag

@HHH Dude, you have the word ‘hardon’ in your username. It’s also a take on a Christian Slater movie. You also have access to a lot of homosexual gifs. Gay, gay and thrice gay. I’d move onto another thread if I were you mate; you’re getting owned.

43. Crysis

@42, don’t feed the trolls, everytime you do, their hardon get’s bigger & bigger, quite fitting actually, though no matter how big it gets, it’ll never become what most of us call a regular penis, for that you need atleast 6″

44. LePlatypus

@40 Now you’ve pissed me off, you are the vermin of this website. Whenever I read your posts I always imagine they’re wrote by someone who has down syndrom, oh wait! they are probably more intelligent than you, you little bastard child now get the fuck off this site before you spread your super autism/down syndrom/fucktarded manners to people who aren’t generally fuckwitted

45. LOLshock94

lmfaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

your giving me exacly what i want you biatch

46. Happy Hardon Harry

The Halo bunch are a bit emotional, are they not. lol

Say you don’t like the game and they come out of the woodwork like the worms they are.

47. Michael O’Connor

@46 I’m not even a Halo fan, and I think the remark was retarded.

48. Happy Hardon Harry

Michael O’Connor said:
    August 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm
    @46 I’m not even a Halo fan, and I think the remark was retarded.

Brown nose to the rescue…

49. Crysis

@48 HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHA… That laugh was AT you, not your comment, your ignorance is entertaining, you hate a game so much, that you have declared a text war against the millions who love it, WOW! big guy here, insulting something makes someone a real hero, seriously man, GTFO of here

50. OlderGamer

Freek said:

“The more popular a site gets the less fun the community aspects get, unfortunate but true.”

Spot on.

51. Spaced Oddity

And millions around the world also enjoy eating shitty food (McDonald’s). Numbers do not always mean quality.

I disagree with Harry regarding to Halo being shit, but it most certainly isn’t, as a Microsoft PR once said (and I paraphrase), “Star Wars for a new generation.”

52. Happy Hardon Harry

Get a real username, you’ve named yourself after the most mediocre game in the world, Crysis.

Your taste in games is in your arse!

53. reask

Looks like someone didn’t take there medication today.
    Ah well. :(

54. Happy Hardon Harry

reask said:
    August 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm
    Looks like someone didn’t take there medication today.
    Ah well.

Crysis’s alt account speaks…

55. Michael O’Connor

@52 Fail troll is fail.

Did you seriously call me a sycophant? Really? *laughs* Wow… just… wow. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

56. Massiveslag

@51 I never said that being popular had any correlation with quality; I merely asked HHH to stop foisting his ill conceived fanboy opinions on all and sundry, and doing everyone a favour by giving him a good owning.

That said, Halo Reach will have exceptional gameplay mechanics, great visuals (for a console), a steady stream of quality DLC, great support and continuous development and honing. It will also probably receive a Metacritic score well in the 90′s and will sell millions upon millions of copies. It will be without doubt a ‘quality’ product, and anyone who doubts that is blinkered to say the least.

I think we all take PR with a pinch of salt, whether it’s MS, Sony or any other developer.

57. Johnny Cullen

I like Halo.

I’m pumped for Halo: Reach.

There. Let it be lollypops, rainbows and tits again.

58. Massiveslag

@57 Halo and tits? And there was much rejoicing…

59. Blerk

New trailer just tweeted by that Bongos geezer.

60. OlderGamer

HHH

I assure you reask is not crysis.

reask is on my fl, and I have talked to him a bit(thos still seem to miss each other when it comes to playing Halo3 online!)(damn times zones).

Yep, and another nice thing about Halo Reach is that the game should be well populated for a very long time. Nothing worse then getting a game you enjoy playing to find that each time you log in the rooms are half empty. Fat Princess and Warhawk – I am looking at you!

61. Retroid

Oh dear, someone left a jar of fanboy on the radiator and it’s already fermented into fuckwit and stunk the room out :(

62. Crysis

@54, you’re paranoid, i named myself Crysis, because my name is Chris & thought it was the closes resembled game to my name so i chose it, the game is kinda meh, but the 2nd one is looking good so far

63. reask

Never mind OG I knew It would take the bait.
    After all I never mentioned anybody. ;)
    At least it knows it is a tit anyway which is something I suppose.

Halo reach I definitely want to get some play time with you OG.

64. reask

Nice trailer Blerk.
    Pat should include it I reckon.

65. frostquake

Hmmmm, Not really surprised about this. Halo has always been centered around the Multiplaya…I am pretty much only a Single Player..the only Multi I do is on Resistance 2.

I would love some Single Player Download along the lines that Dragon Age Orgins and Mass Effect do..but hey I understand, I have friends that are exclusive Multiplaya’s and hate Single Player games…So we need Multiplaya’s map packs for those COD and Halo players…I just hate it when you release a Game like MW2 that really just tacks on a single player experience and focuses on Multiplaya…

Just think they have a market for both, and could actually release an in-depth Single Player Game on one Disc and then release a Multiplayer Only Game on one Disc as well…but this does cut into profits so I understand…I just think there is a strong market of single player only games and a strong market for multi-player only games as well…

So I would love some Single Player Downloadable Content from Halo: Reach…but I don’t ever expect it…and I don’t fault them for supporting the VERY STRONG Halo Multi-Player Community…Just like I would hope the Multi-player Community doesn’t Fault a Strong Single Player Community…
    for games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect…

I think we can all exist in the same space, I am sure both Communities will always wish for more in their area of favorites.