Take-Two loses case over BioShock URL

Wednesday, 25th August 2010 16:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bioshock

Take Two has lost its case in gaining control of a BioShock URL against a domain squatting firm.

Name Administration Media had accquired the domain “BioShock.com” after the game was unofficially announced, according to GI, but before 2K had published it as a trademark.

NA Media said the domain had other terms for it, such as a cosmetic line-up from company Johnson and Johnson on the same name, but unrelated to the game, also pointing out that Take-Two wasn’t affiliated with BioShock at the time of its unofficial announcement.

The publisher argued NA had already registered some of its domains, such as taketwointeractive.com, which it gained control of soon after.

The domain “BioShock2.com” is under a similar situation, but it’s already been confirmed by Irrational Games that “BioShockInfinite.com” is safe.

More through the link.

1. Dannybuoy

You have to give it to them though, it is an excellent site

2. Robo_1

Oh yeah, at least an hour of design went into that. lol

Sad to hear Take Two have lost the case. Domain squatters are the vermin of the internet, and these guys look to be a particularly nasty example of the trade. I know quite a few people and businesses who have lost their domain to scum like this. They forget to renew their domain (due to having a shitty web host), the name is released and parasites like this swoop in and buy it up, offering to sell it back to the client for extortionate fees.

Nothing but loathing and contempt for them, they live solely off the backs of others. Grrrr.

3. DSB

That’s capitalism, son.

Yeeeehaw! *pewpewpewpew* (Unloading sixshooters into the air)

4. Freek

They even admit as much on thier site that they are scumbags, “aquired before people knew their value” etc etc. Blatent parasites living off other peoples succes.

5. DSB

@4 Living off other peoples mistakes*

Not that that makes it more honorable.

I laughed pretty hard when Idiot Toys took their domain back for for absolutely nothing after they sold it. Apparently, so did they.

6. LOLshock94

if take 2 got bioshock i think they probely lose all there money

7. Crysis

@3, yes, the rich & greedy parasites get richer living off of the lower & middle income earners, making them poorer & poorer, that’s capitalism in a nutshell

8. frostquake

During Interplay Days, and System Shock..I created Bioshock as my Email Account…Have Emails to prove it. Way before Bioshock was even in the brains of those people. I emailed them showing them my old emails, and instead of hearing how cool it was that my email account was bioshock…I heard from lawyers…LOL. I never intended to sue them or anything. I just showed them that the name they were calling their game was not truly original, that I had created it years back just as an email account, and that in fact Nothing is truly original…I am sure someone else is the 1800′s had thought of it before me..LOL