Mac OS accounts for only 5% of Steam use

Wednesday, 25th August 2010 17:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

apple

Valve’s published its latest Steam usage stats, showing that only 5.07 percent of the download service’s users are playing with Macs.

MacOS 10.6.3 64-bit accounted for 4.3 percent of total Steam use, with MacOS 10.5.8 64-bit adding the extra 0.77 percent.

Of those using Steam on Macs, a whopping 47 percent owned MacBook Pros. Nearly 54 percent of all Mac users packed 4Gb of RAM.

The Mac version of Steam launched in May, with Portal given away for free.

Windows XP 32-bit is still the most popular Steam OS at 32.73 percent of total use.

Second is Windows 7 64-bit at 28.24 percent, followed by Windows Vista 32-bit at 13.71 percent.

You can look at the entire stat page here.

1. mart

“Only”? Seems quite good I thought, when you consider the relatively diminutive overall Mac market share, and that the service has a fraction of the PC service’s titles.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Is there such a thing as ‘Mac gaming’, or is it included in ‘PC gaming’?

3. Razor

Wow, Windows Vista really was a mis-step judging by those figures.

Maybe if they supported Tiger, I’d download Steam. They support XP which is a decade old, but they don’t support an OS that’s five years old?

4. DSB

I’m really amazed by the general state of PC hardware every time Steam releases one of these.

How the hell are developers managing to sell all these modern games to people? It seems to me like they should be worried about optimization, rather than the next big graphics blowout.

There sure as hell has to be a lot of choppy framerates out there.

@3 Was there ever any doubt? You really can’t say enough bad things about that OS.

“Vista – It only does nothing”.

5. Gheritt White

@ 2: Mac gaming as distinct from PC gaming

6. Psychotext

That’s not a massively surprising number, given that Mac OS only really makes up about 10% of the marketplace anyway.

7. SunKing

I actually think that’s an okay number considering: one, how few games are Mac compatible compared to PC; two, what the Mac-to-PC market share ratio is; and three, how only just recently Steam has become available for the Mac.

8. onlineatron

Hopefully this won’t effect Valve’s and Mac’s future relationship.

I’m purchasing an iMac soon and would really like to be able to use steam on it; my Laptop is not strong enough for newer games.

9. Redh3lix

Installed Steam on my iMac 27. It crashed. I uninstalled. I am dissapoint.

Mac’s aren’t meant for gaming.

10. TerryWogan

Only? For fuck’s sake man.

11. DarkElfa

Actually, I think the number comes from the fact that the majority of PC gamers do not purchase Macs simply because it has so little gaming support.

12. Orobi

New 007 Bloodstone Instanbul trailer
    EXCLUSIVE

13. Tonka

OMG, the Mac really is shit, isn’t it?

14. Johnny Cullen

Mac gaming in even more extinct then PC gaming shocker?