Modern Warfare 2 becomes top selling UK game… ever

Monday, 23rd August 2010 11:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

modernwarfare227

See this, Dr Kawashima? This is danger close right up in your bespectacled face.

Chart-Track’s confirmed that Modern Warfare 2 is now the biggest selling British game of all time.

The Infinity Ward shooter achieved the feat this week, 41 weeks from launch. The game has spent only three weeks outside the top 10 since releasing in 2009.

MW2 has stolen the UK crown from Dr Kawashima on DS, which took around 36 months to overtake the previous holder, GTA: San Andreas on PS2, Xbox and PC.

As ever, no firm figures were released by Chart-Track. Suffice it to say, Modern Warfare 2 has sold “a lot”.

Activision will be looking for another CoD smash with Treyarch’s Black Ops on November 9.

1. Isuru86

Wait till Prototype 2 releases !

2. Crysis

wait, is prototype popular? i mean i did enjoy it & all, but it’s a few hour game i would never pick up again

3. Blerk

That’s hellishly quick.

One day I’m going to have to play me one of these new-fangled ‘Call of Duty’ games and see what all the fuss is about.

4. LOLshock94

ohhh DEAR GOD

5. Dannybuoy

It’s amazing what media hype can do for sales. I loved MW, but I felt seriously underwhelmed with MW2. I’m currently enjoying Bad Company 2 much more. c’est la vie!

6. Freek

The fuss is mostly about what everybody is playing in multiplayer. Naturally other people want to join a mutliplayer game that has a healthy player base so what ever is popular steadely becomes more and more popular.

7. Hybridpsycho

@6 True, it’s sad that it’s popularity and advertisement that makes a game “Good” and not what the game actually is :(

8. freedoms_stain

I bought it used, and still haven’t played it, suck on that Activision!

9. Suikoden Fan

its a sad state of affairs when people are told whats good by the media and they ‘have’ to agree for whatever reason. Too many people can’t form there own opinions and rely too much on the opinion of others.

10. G1GAHURTZ

It’s nothing to do with advertising or hype.

Stop kidding yourselves.

11. Erthazus

@10 Just 50 million dollars for advertising. A little money.

of course it’s Gaming, it’s the same thing when you said: “Starcraft II is the best RTS, but i never played other RTS’s so…”

Bwahahaha! Street Sweeper don’t miss the same clone every year Black Ops ;)

12. Suikoden Fan

i’m not kidding myself i know several people who were ‘brainwashed’ into thinking it was the second coming of jesus, that and sites lke vg247 can’t help but post so many stoires about or relating too it that it gets drilled into peoples brains.

i’m not saying the games crap but i know too many people who think mw is the be all and end all of gaming

also this was multiplatform vs single platform for top spot

13. Erthazus

I was brainwashed, i bought it because i saw crazy snow level at the Microsoft’s E3 2010 and liked a lot multiplayer reveal trailer where you go with shield and shoot everything…

But after i played it, that was a serious mistake.

PS: I also brainwashed my friend :D said that it is awesome, but he played 224 hours on Steam.
    I played 74 hours and i was done with it. Too easy and casual for me with shitty visuals.

14. G1GAHURTZ

At the end of the day Suikoden, the facts are the facts.

People not only buy the game, but they play it constantly. The CoD community is so huge that you’ve got places like Machinima probably making millions just from videos for people who want to watch other people playing, every day.

Compare that to any other game.

If MW2 sales dropped off ater a few weeks and it slipped down the online play rankings and the online community dwindled, I would say you had a point.

But to claim that other people are brainwashed is utterly naïve.

Just because you genuinely prefer something else or are convinced that something else is a million times better, it doesn’t make anyone else’s opinion less valid.

People like the game because they enjoy playing it. Just accept it move on.

15. Suikoden Fan

I’m noy denying some people truely love the game, good for them. but some people were brainwashed into thinking it was great and theres no doubt this lead to some sales, how many will we never know but some.

As i said i know several people brainwashed with mw that they scoff at every other game out there not just other genres but other fps games too so much to that fact its the only thing they care about.

and this isn’t about me pushing my views on to others, as my tag implies i’m a fan of suikoden but not once have i pushed my love of that series onto anyone else or belittle anyone who honestly didn’t like the game. would i recommend it, yes but i would recommend other series and genres, i’d even recommend mw.

Also sales do not equal greatness, ff13 sold well but its still poor imo compared to other ff’s and alot of people would agree on that. thats not to say ff13 is bad, its just not as good as previous renditions.

16. DSB

As G1GA says, you can hype people into buying a game, but you can’t hype them to keep playing it.

It’s not just sales. By all accounts Modern Warfare 2 is the most played non-MMO multiplayer game across all platforms. Obviously there’s no way of determining what’s going on on PSN, but all the circumstancial evidence points to a very high spot, if not the top one.

I don’t feel like any game is ever ultimate, they’re always going to be usurped, but when it comes to competitive frameworks, I’ve never played a multiplayer shooter that put so much burden of error solely on me.

17. G1GAHURTZ

@ Suikoden:

While I certainly agree that there were very probably a huge number of sales due to the pre-release hype, I think talk of people being brainwashed is going too far.

Brainwashed by what? An advertising campaign? An advert during the NBA play-offs or the Superbowl? Some cardboard cut-outs in specialist shops? A few launch events? I seriously doubt it.

Think about much of the press before MW2 released:

- What, no beta!?
    - £59.99 rrp!?
    - PC gamers petition! 200,000 (iirc) names!!!
    - No dedicated servers!?
    - Rip off night vision goggles (for psychotext)!?
    - etc, etc…

Add to that all the other noise from people who already hated CoD and I fail to see where this brainwashing conspiracy comes from…

Also, we’re talking about one of the best selling games (THE best selling in the UK) in gaming history here, so you can’t really compare it to something like FFXIII which sold three or four million.

CoD’s sales are long term, not knee jerk.

18. Erthazus

@17 The power of the brand. Jeez.

Like with Blizzard Starcraft II. Good game, polished as hell, but the same game like 12 years ago just in shitty 3D.

the power of the brand and thats it.

Make bad Gran Turismo 5 game and it will still sell because of the brand power and thats it.

Modern Warfare uses popular quake 3 Arena engine. Basically MW is Quake 3:Arena just slow and with modern guns. People who never played Id Tech 3 games rolling on this one, because people still love that precision and running and gunning style. Nothing bad to it, but nothing new in MW2 was introduced, so 99% people that i know bought MW2 and they all played a lot and in the end forgot about it. MW2 nothing special. Not to mention it has the shittiest singleplayer ever with it’s story, if you don’t admit that than go to school and learn something.

19. DSB

@18 I guess the people you know aren’t representative.

You can’t get people to play a brand. Either they enjoy themselves, or they don’t. It might be easier if you’re selling a Backstreet Boys game to a bunch of Backstreet Boys fans, but the FPS market attracts people of all demographics.

Don’t get me wrong, I felt disappointed about the Starcraft singleplayer campaign, but you’d be an idiot not to appreciate the multiplayer.

The frequency of every resource, the cost of every single building tied into the cost of every single unit, every single supply structure/unit is completely geared toward applying it in a strategic way.

20. Suikoden Fan

i’m not comparing ff13 directly with cod, i’m just making the case that lots of sales do not automatically make a game great.

as for all those stories only those ‘in the know’ would know or care about them, people who come here, go to kotaku, hardcore gamers. The people i refer to would never be classed as hardcore nor would they come onto this or any gaming site without calling it sad and stupid.

Those not in the know wouldn’t know or care of these stories, but what they do care about is articles in the papers or word of mouth, People who feel pier pressured because all there mates have it, or its what the ‘in crowd’ is all about. They don’t want to be the one left out. Bit like how almost everyone bought pokemon cards in the past, because they had to play it because everyone else did.

Also i did have a much better response giga but i got that damn “your posting comments too fast” bullshit which should have been fixed ages ago, as such i lost that and had to write a new comment (this one) which i think lost some of my point.

FIX THAT DAMN ERROR VG247.

21. G1GAHURTZ

@ DSB: Yeah, I’ve hardly played SC2 SP since I got it. I’ve done about 5 or 6 missions, but I’ve mostly been playing the MP so far.

22. DSB

@20 Well, arguably, the vocal online majority is mostly levelled against MW2. At least if we’re talking about internet trends.

Just consider how many people are ragging about MW2 online, while sitting down to play it every night. It’s mindboggling. People really don’t want to be “MW2 players”, even if they are.

To me that’s just pathetic. You don’t have to like a game if you don’t – certainly there’s no such thing as all things to all people – but at least don’t be a pussy and let others tell you what to say, when you actually enjoy the thing.

PS. It’s a good idea to cut your text when the “posting too fast” thing happens. Then you just refresh your browser and paste it back in.

23. G1GAHURTZ

@ Suikoden:

I see the point that you’re making, but I don’t see how the sort of person who would find a gaming blog to be sad or stupid would feel any sort of peer pressure from gamers.

If you’re referring to casual gamers, then I definitely don’t think that they would care what their friends played or if they had the same thing, as they would probably have other interests that they’d find to be much more socially important.

I just think that people are continuing to buy the game because they’re having fun with it online. Whether they’re having fun because of the game, the ‘banter’, or just because they can goof off with most of their friends, they surely must be having fun…

btw, if you get the posting comments too fast message, you should just be able to press cancel, then F5 it until it loads.

24. Suikoden Fan

@dsb i’m gonna due that from now on, but that problem should be fixed by now. Thing is there are people who will be pier pressured, its not nice but it happens.

25. Suikoden Fan

@giga thats just some of the people i know, they love games but find sites dedicated to them stupid, being honest i think they are just being ignorant.

26. Erthazus

@DSB, Starcraft II multiplayer is also great, except that this is the same multiplayer like 12 years ago.
    Everybody still playing Starcraft I.

The big change there was 2d in to the 3D. Compared to games like Company Of Heroes or last addon Dawn Of War is hillarious. How blizzard tried to make a game on the old build for 7 freakin years is just strange.
    There is nothing new except they did what was obvious. All changes were so small that even Brood War had much more changes. It’s more like a patch.

and these words goes from the big Blizzard fan. I love World Of Warcraft, i love all their games but this one is the polished dissapointment. Still a Great game, just OLD game in 3D.

27. DSB

@26 If you look at the general moves and strategies used in Starcraft II, you’ll find that it’s very few moves from the original Starcraft that have survived. Build orders, supply sequencing and unit preferences have changed significantly.

It’s worth remembering that the first Starcraft was a complete fluke. They weren’t worried about balancing the nuts and bolts of the multiplayer, especially not geared towards hardcore competition. Starcraft II basically sacrificed its singleplayer upon the altar of being the leanest, meanest competitive machine it could be.

I’m not sure they used 7 years on the same build either.

28. EscoBlades

Why is this a surprise to anybody? Some of the debate in here is laughable.

29. Funkyd

/shakes head

Play the game on any difficulty higher than normal and the terrible game mechanics are exposed. I like my supposedly realistic shooters to have some sort of recoil, as well.