Deathspank sequel coming next month

Monday, 23rd August 2010 17:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deathspank2

Apparently redefining the phrase “not fucking about,” Hothead Games has confirmed it’s to release a sequel to fantasy actioner Deathspank next month, despite the first game only going live in July.

Thongs of Virtue is 50 percent longer than the first game and features new settings such as the sea, the North Pole and more.

More modern settings mean guns, apparently, and don’t be thinking you’ll be bringing over your progress from the first game: you won’t. You’ll be starting from scratch.

Online multiplayer still won’t be in the game, but off-line two-player co-op will allow the second player to alternate between two characters.

It’s downloadable-only again, and will launch on PSN on September 21 and a day later on XBLA.

The game will cost $15.

1. Gekidami

I just beat the first one last week. Very solid game, wasnt expecting a sequel so soon though.

2. MushroomStamp

I beat the first. There really isnt’ much replay since I was able to do every mission the first time through. That being said, I’m looking forward to a sequel. Hopefully they complete some of the little things in teh first. Such as bonus’s for full armor sets (in the first there was no benefit for collecting full sets).

Overall it was worth the money.

3. AHA-Lambda

woah wtf!?

4. Michael O’Connor

Already? What the hell..?

5. Gekidami

I agree, decent bit of lenght to the game with all of the side missions and whatnot, but zero replayability.

6. DJ Deathstar

Been waiting for this announcement since the achievements for this appeared on the net last week as Deathspank T.O.V was thinking it stood for Thongs of Vengence so nearly right!
    Looking forward to this and glad their doing a full game rather than DLC. Loved the first one and this will be a day 1 purchase for me! Question is will you be able to carry over your money from the first since after you complete the game the money changes from coins to notes

7. Gekidami

“Kill 3000 Enemies”

:S

Also 2 endings.

8. Phoenixblight

If they would just introduce Online MP then I would consider buying it.

9. Psychotext

The fuck? I haven’t even tried the demo of the first one yet.

10. DJ Deathstar

@9 All but about 4 of those are from the first game

11. night_tripper

they obviously were working on the sequel for awhile probably at around the same time they worked on the first one anyway first day buy for me

12. joshua nash

holy fuck, i haven’t even gotten the time dl the first one and their coming out with a second already

13. Gekidami

Alot of stuff being reused i’d say.

14. Phoenixblight

lrn2read

“As reported by Kotaku, the game’s called DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue; both this and the original were in simultaneous dev, obviously.”

15. Blerk

Hmm… perhaps there really is such a thing as ‘too soon’? I really enjoyed the first one but this one arriving practically on its heels feels a bit like they purposely chopped it in two.

Having said that, I’ll buy it. Although I might leave it a few months this time.

16. SunKing

I’m just amazed they kept it quiet this long.