Runic: Torchlight will “hopefully” hit XBLA and PSN “by the holidays”

Saturday, 21st August 2010 16:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

torchlight

Runic Games hopes to release Torchlight on PSN and XBLA bu the holidays, according to Runic CEO Max Schaefer.

Speaking with Joystiq at gamesom, Schaefer said: “We’re trying, we’re talking [to Sony and Microsoft] and we hope to get that done quickly,” adding he hoped it would be released “by the holidays.”

Torchlight 2, which is set for release next year with co-op, will only launch on PC and Mac at first, but Schaefer said Runic will “try” to release it for consoles once the other two versions are out the door.

Get more through Joystiq.

1. SlayerGT

Really!? Cool =)

2. Lord Gremlin

And I’ve bought their Torchlight on steam… If I’d knew they release it for PS3 I’d waited! I prefer PS3 over PC, on PC I still haven’t finished the game…

3. freedoms_stain

I have the pc version, but I might pick this up if it hits deal of the week at a reasonable price. 250 gamerscore it’d be a pleasure to earn.

4. DJ Deathstar

Get in, i’ve been wanting this for a long time, they mentioned it as a possibility before but glad to hear its a matter of when not if!

5. Andytizer

The Steam version is definitely the definite one. Not only is it a very low spec game (it is playable on very modest PCs) but Steam Cloud savegame integration is invaluable for logging in for a quick game anywhere.

I think Torchlight is a great distraction but I don’t think it’s suited for playing for more than 20mins at a time, which is why I don’t think it’d be as good as a couch console experience.

6. LOLshock94

Schaefer? is that the guy who made that game with jack black?

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 No. That’s Tim Schafer you’re thinking of. Two totally different people.

8. DePetri

“The Runic bossman also told the site Torchlight has sold over 750K units and is getting closer to the one million mark. Schaefer admitted the unit sales seem a bit a low, but claims piracy has been an issue, and they are unable to track just how many illegal copies have been made of the game.”

That horseshit was added by Joystiq. 750K a low number? I’m sure the Runic guys are super happy with that!

9. DSB

I wouldn’t say I’m prone to righteous fury, but I’d really like to see the losers who couldn’t pay 12-16 euros for a game like Torchlight.

What a bunch of douchebags. The demo was extensive as well, so I don’t see any justification for it.

@8 I’m pretty sure they’re breaking even too, but you’d be surprised by the tally that most indie developers need to reach to break even. The guy behind Positech claimed he needed a sale every 45 minutes (I’m guessing monthly?) to quit his dayjob, and he’s just the one guy.

10. Blerk

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I love Torchlight! My PC, however, does not. Will buy again once the XBLA version hits, for sure!

11. OlderGamer

I am in a second time. Well worth it.

12. Filofax

Fantastic game and like OlderGamer I will be buying a second time.

13. frostquake

Finally, I can stop emailing Runic…All my PC’s are Outdated…even for Torchlight…the only way I will get to enjoy this is on a console…So thank you!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!