Brink delayed so more time could be spent “balancing and polishing”

Saturday, 21st August 2010 20:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

brink

Loads of people were disappointed to learn Brink was delayed into 2011,  but according to Splash Damage CEO Paul Wedgwood, it wasn’t because the team are a bunch of taunting sadists -  the game just needed more time in the Beta phase.

Speaking with VG247′s Nathan Grayson during QuakeCon, Wedgwood said the team wanted to balance and polish the game a bit longer.

“We’re not adding any additional things to it. Essentially, we’re gonna spend longer in the Beta phase,” he said. “Because it’s a really ambitious game, and now that people can see what we’ve done with weapons – the number of weapons, the number of weapon modifications, the number of abilities, the number of items and gadgets – they can see the interrelations between those many components sets up some very specific balancing challenges.

“And for Brink, we want to make sure people enjoy playing months after they’ve started playing – or years after they’ve started playing! I think in order for us to achieve that well, we want to have the best possible period of balancing and polishing.”

Ya can’t argue with that, really.

Catch our full interview with Wedgwood here.

Once fine-tuned, the game will be released next spring on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Axelander

Yeaaaaah, suuuuure! Of coouuuurse you are dooooing some polishiiiiing! I belieeeeeeve youuuuuu! Tch… You think, I’m stupid?! I’ve had it with all this BS! Mafia II was the last straw! I now believe that “a developer saying that their title gets delayed so that it could be polished” = “a develeoper sending their title to a different smaller company, who’s duty is to do a pretty horrid job on porting the 360 version on the PS3, after which at the release of the game, the original developer would come out and say that they had done the best they could in using the PS3 capabilitises”.

2. LePlatypus

@1 no

3. DSB

@1 Trade in your PS3 for an Xbox 360. Problem solved. You’re welcome.

4. Crysis

@3, buy a pc, has most of the good 360 games on it, like L4D2 among others, only missing out on halo & gears which will be ported once the xbox 3 is released

5. Erthazus

@1 Yeeeeah, except that at gamescom there was a demo of the PS3 version and it was a fine version.

6. Crysis

PS3>PC>360>WII/PSP>DS, that’s just my preferance, though certain games i would rather on pc instead of the ps3, really depends on the genre & i put the slash between the psp & wii bacause they recieve many of the same multiplat games with sadly simular quality

7. DSB

@4 Well, the guy was complaining that games didn’t look as good on his PS3 as they did on an Xbox, I was just helping him out. After all, an Xbox is about a 4th of the price of an up to date gaming rig.

8. Crysis

@7 my comp handles every single game out at the moment & it costs $699 (AUD), it only has a cheap $30 graphics card in it, so it doesn’t have spectacular results, but as i said it’ll play any game, oddly it has more problems with older games, than ones like Crysis(hehe-my account name :P), but that’s likely my OS fault, damn you Vista! but this will last me several years & i’ll likely only need to upgrade my Graphics card once within the next 10 years, unless things very quickly advance… but i also have a $300 with the same card (Radeon 4350), & a P4 processor & it runs MOST games, even crysis with a steady fram rate

9. DSB

@8 Like I said, an “up to date” gaming rig. If you’re gonna settle for middle of the road stuff, I don’t see much reason to use a PC, beyond the controls, the multitasking or your love for strategy games.

The problems with old games is going to be down to Vista 99% of the time, though, speaking from experience. That system fucked with my retro gaming like nothing I’ve ever seen. What an awful piece of shit OS.

10. Crysis

@9, couldn’t agree more without you, though gaming details are more to do with tthe GPU rather than the rig, getting these core i7 cpus & 8gb of RAM is overrated when it barely effects the end result, just less lag in high power consuming games

11. DSB

@10 It’s so awesome to ctrl-alt-delete and watch which processor is kicking in at any given time, though.

It’s like “Oh look, CPU 3 is awake. Awwww, CPU 8 is sleeping”.

Sad, I know. But ultimately pretty awesome.

I actually got 8 gigs of ram with my last rig. I knew I was going completely overboard, and it didn’t do very much, save for a few loadtimes. It’s kinda funny to see how many developers never counted on you getting those 8 gigs though. I have to limit them sometimes.