Survey says: Boys and girls love online gaming

Friday, 20th August 2010 13:26 GMT By Joe Anderson

boygamer

According to a new US survey, 91 percent of boys and 93 percent of girls ages 8 to 11 years play their games online.

The report by M2 research also goes on to claim social networking is increasingly prevalent in children’s lives, with Facebook now the favorite website among tween (8-11) boys and teen (12-15) girls.

M2 research’s survey also claims Sony’s PSP has largest gender discrepancy, with 17 percent of teen girls playing games on the PSP compared to 44 percent of teen boys.

Finally, the videogame franchise girls prefer is the Mario Series, with 20 percent of girls picking it as their favorite. Boys meanwhile prefer Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, with 36 percent of teens picking it as their favorite game.

“We have found kids tend to play a wide variety of games, and their favorite games and gaming sites change often.” says M2 Research Analyst Louise Curcio. “There are opportunities for companies, and we believe the kids market has been overlooked.”

You can check out the full report for yourself here.

Thanks, Edge.

1. Blerk

My son and all his friends play Club Penguin. He doesn’t play console games online, though.

There’s something a little disturbing about 8-year-olds being into Facebook.

2. Gekidami

Actually M research just played on LIVE for a few hours and came to this conclusion. :D

3. Joe Anderson

My 10 year old plays online, its getting more and more difficult to prise him away form the Xbox 360 these days.

4. ReeceHeywood

It’s those little brats which have ruined online gaming for me, I loved playing with people my own age who were mature but now it’s just little kids shouting abusive crap down the mic.

5. Joe Anderson

@4 what you talking about Reece? Your only fourteen aren’t you ? :)

6. Michael O’Connor

BREAKING NEWS: No real discernibly difference between genders. More at 11!

It’s amazing how many surveys these people need to do to figure out the BLOODY OBVIOUS!

7. ReeceHeywood

@5 WTF xD

8. Callum

I am so anoying my mum sent a picture of me into VG247. How embarasing!

9. Joe Anderson

What is he holding in his hand anyway? It looks more like a grenade than a control pad.

10. kkzooi123

I hate it when i get killed by those kiddies

11. Blerk

@9 It’s a detonator. For the bomb he’s just rigged up. Kids these days, eh?

12. Michael O’Connor

@9 I think that’s what those of us from the “old days” called a “joystick”, but my mind is a bit fussy on the specifics.

13. Yoshi

HOLY SHIT AND I LIKE ICE CREAM!!!!!

14. pspgamer01

I hate kids(10-13) online! they are so retarted these days.

15. reask

Well I’m proud to say I got pawned on a few occasions by my 12 year old on MW2 split screen.
    They are so damn sharp. :)