10 new advanced classes revealed for SWTOR

Friday, 20th August 2010 09:18 GMT By Joe Anderson

swtor

BioWare has revealed the names and descriptions of ten new advanced classes for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The list was shown during BioWare’s gamecom presentation, with Blaine Christine explaining details on how Imperial Agent characters will have the choice between specializing as snipers or operatives; Troopers having the choice between commandos and vanguard and Bounty Hunters being able to choose between powertech & mercenary.

There is also a choice of two selections for the Sith Inquisitor class and the Jedi Consular.

Here is a full list and short description of each class courtesy of Darth Hater.

• Imperial Agent – Operative (uses blaster rifle or energy blade, stealth, burst ranged damage) & Sniper (sniper rifle, dps – counterpart of Gunslinger)
  • Sith Inquisitor – Sorcerer (force damage, single bladed lightsaber) & Assassin (double bladed lightsaber, stealth, burst damage)
  • Bounty Hunter – Powertech & Mercenary
  • Jedi Consular – Shadow (double-bladed lightsaber) & Wizard (healing / single lightsaber)
  • Trooper – Commando (heavy armor, tank) & Vanguard (dps)

Currently in Beta, Star Wars: The Old Republic is expected sometime next spring.

Check out the latest trailer for the game here.

1. Gekidami

Sorcerer? Wizard? :S

2. Grimrita

Ok, lets just start calling this WOW:The Old Republic. Why oh why must something like Star Wars keep the ‘clone’ theme going by cloning WOW and adding starfox in the mix?

MMO game design – where the uncreative thrive…..

3. Michael O’Connor

@2 Well ahead of you. I’ve been calling it that since E3.

4. KillerDD

People that say they are uncreative because they use things like Sorcerer and Wizard obviously don’t know enough about the Star Wars universe.

5. Zurtech

People who seem to think OR is a WoW clone obviously haven’t read up on it. Proper RPG branching storylines and conversations, fully voiced acted dialog, moral choices and decisions with consequences , individual class stories, player housing in the form of your ship, a mass effect like galaxy map with “Hot Spots” for the Starfox style space combat and not to mention the Mass Effect/Dragon Age companion system with their own story and quest routes.

Honestly if all that’s present in WoW I must’ve missed it in the 6 years I’ve played. o_0

Also @4 not to mention LucasArts overlook everything and say what they can and can’t add/name.

6. Grimrita

yes it has story but come on – and if you look closer there is NO mention of wizards in the star wars universe.

7. chris_emf

@6 Uncle Owen: “That wizard’s just a crazy old man”

8. Yoshi

@2 People like you complain when things get slightly copied from WOW but then people like you complain when APB or Global Agenda tries something different with the MMO name. You can’t have it both ways! lol

9. OlderGamer

I have yet to find a sfi MMO that interests me.

To be honest I would rather play WoW.

I did enjoy Phantasy Star Online/Universe for a bit, but that hardly counts as a MMO, hell barely a RPG.

10. Grimrita

@ 9.
    There is already a WOW out there and for me, its probably one of THE most uninspiring games out there. But Blizzard are great at polishing turds.

I would love to have seen a bit more creative flair – say the Bioware story goodness thrown in to a sandbox MMO like Galaxies that gave players the freedom to do stuff.

@ 7
    Oh dear. That is just a reference. With that in mind, a Nerf herder should also be a profession. There are NO wizards in Star Wars, certainly not as a profession/class.

11. Xuchilbara

@2,3 – You guys obviously know nothing about Star Wars….

12. Michael O’Connor

@11 I never said I had an issue with the names. It’s the *design* of the game I have a problem with.

13. Gadzooks!

I’m actually quite looking forward to SWTOR as Bioware have made some of my very favourite games this gen.