gamescom interview: Ray BioWare confirms intro content for ME2 PS3, included DLC, more

Wednesday, 18th August 2010 12:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

masseffect29

BioWare boss Ray Muzyka, speaking in Cologne today, has told VG247 that the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 is to include introductory content to provide a “seamless introduction” to the IP’s universe, as well as confirming the inclusion of DLC and access to the Cerburus Network.

Following confirmation of a January 2011 release for a PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 in EA’s gamescom press conference yesterday, Muzyka said it was important to the studio to “bring some new things to bear” for the PS3 version.

“One of the things we’re doing is that we’re bringing a lot of the post-release downloadable content and will integrate it into the experience, so that PS3 fans can check that out and play it,” he said.

While confirming the inclusion of an introductory segment for the PS3 SKU, Muzyka was cagey on specifics, refusing to confirm whether or not new gameplay is to be included over the 360 and PC version.

“We’re making sure there’s a really seamless introduction to the world of Mass Effect, for players that haven’t experienced it before,” he said.

“So even though it’s Mass Effect 2 specifically, we’re making sure there’s a nice introduction experience, that provides the back-story and the things that have happened up to that point in the universe, and makes it a really seamless introduction.”

He added: “We haven’t revealed what that is yet. It’ll be something that provides a good introduction and provides a lot of the back-story and introduces you well to the story-arc, and kind of makes you feel like you’re part of it all. And then you can jump right into the action in Mass Effect 2.”

Muzyka said that, while Cerberus Network features are unnannounced for the PS3 version, it will be available in a “full way”.

“I guess in terms of what the Cerberus Network represents, it really represents a lot of content, it represents a lot of post-release support, and we… do want make sure the PS3 fans get that experience in as full away as possible,” he said.

“But we’ll reveal more of that over time.”

Multi-format future is “good guess”

When asked the obvious question of whether or not this announcement of a PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 means we’re going to see future games appear across the console formats, Muzyka would only hint at what’s to come.

“That’d be a good guess, but we haven’t announced any details on any future formats or anything, or even formally announced Mass Effect 3 yet, although there’s a natural assumption that there will be a Mass Effect 3 as it’s a trilogy. We’ve said that and more or less confirmed it, but we haven’t announced any details on the product yet, or the platforms.

“EA is a company that wants to support different platforms, reach different audiences; we’re part of EA and we want to make sure we can embrace that as well. I think we’re trying to do that with all of our products, whether it’s Dragon Age or Mass Effect.”

Whatever the future holds for Mass Effect, though, Muzyka laughed when we told him the announcement of the second game on PS3 flattened VG247, saying it was “fun” to see reaction from gamers.

“We’re really excited about the idea of bringing Mass Effect to PS3,” he said.

“I said it on stage; we’ve been asked again and again by journalists, fans, the community, ‘When’s it going to happen?’ We wanted to make sure we could do it right. We’ve been working on it for a while. We’re pretty excited by it. We’re excited to bring Mass Effect to a new audience.”

Mass Effect 2 releases on PS3 next January.

1. Robo_1

The PS3 specific introductory experience sounds promising. Providing it’s fleshed out enough, they could avoid criticisms that PS3 users are only getting half the story.

It needs to be something playable though, a big intro movie with decision making moments can lol right off. The bigger it is, the better.

2. Nozz

And there we have it. Who thinks it’ll be a Mass Effect 1 montage?
    I’m hoping for something a little more interactive! only time will tell :)

3. ExclusivesMostly

Well that’s good that there’s an intro…

4. daytripper

people on the bioware forums are saying they feel ripped off if a lot of the dlc like kasumi etc is free, i can understand that.

5. Blerk

I’m thinking it’ll be a sort of interactive cutscene, showing the main story bits from the original and asking you to make a few decisions along the way. And it’ll be optional for the people who don’t give a crap and just want the defaults.

I’m also thinking that they’re likely to launch a ‘game of the year’ version on 360 at the same time with all the extra content bundled in so as to avoid those ‘this is full price on PS3 but only a tenner on 360!’ issues.

And ME3 will be multi-platform from the off.

6. cookiejar

I thought there would be some sort of recap of the previous events, without actually having to play the game and still get into the experience.

Looking forward to this a lot.

7. James Mac

Is he kind of suggesting that DLC Xbox users paid extra for is going to included as part of the game on Ps3, and not DLC?

8. daytripper

@7 i think so, thats a bit shitty on those pc/xbox players who supported the game and all the dlc imo.

9. Lord Gremlin

Solid piece of PS3 exclusive content please or it’s a no-buy.

10. cookiejar

I see where your coming from on the DLC front, but by the time it comes out on PS3, it’ll be a year old game at probably full price. So surely the DLC balances it out? I have no idea how much the DLC costs btw, is it about a tenner?

11. Blerk

@7/8, yes – and another reason for launching a 360 GOTY version at the same time. “PS3 users aren’t getting it for free, they’re buying the GOTY version”.

Worked for other games in the past – see Assassin’s Creed 2, for example.

12. freedoms_stain

@11, my thoughts exactly, GOTY or otherwise special editions containing all dlc to date are commonplace now.

I’m not saying that I particularly agree with the practice (It still stings that you can buy GOTY FO3 now for like half what I paid in dlc alone) but I think complaints about this case are misplaced unless you attack all GOTY/special editions equally.

13. daytripper

@10 £6 for Kasumi – full mission and new character

£8 for Overlord – full mission about 90 minutes

loads of armour/weapon packs that cost about £2-3 each

Lair of the shadow broker – coming soon and meant to be a real in depth DLC mission, so probably between £8-12, if that comes to PS3 for free I can see some really kicking off

i’m not pissed off you understand, the more people buy mass effect the better imo, i can see where the normal not over the top complaints are coming from but it will all even itself out in the end.

14. Blerk

Quite. Early adopters always pay more – higher prices for the game at release, full whack for DLC, etc. The longer you’re prepared to wait the better the price, that’s just how it is. PS3 owners will have waited over a year for ME2 by the time it comes out, I think that’s a reasonable enough timeframe to launch a ‘game plus extras’ rejig without raising too many eyebrows.

15. distraet

I don’t see a problem with the PS3 version including DLC. The version is long overdue, it kinda evens the score. Either way I’m going to pick this up, even though I have it for 360. Just be happy that BioWare is spreading the love.

16. DJ Deathstar

@9 Don’t see that happening to be honest, but seriously are they gonna try and condense a 30/40 hour game into a 5/10 min cutscene, cos that will be ridiculous if they try that

17. Blerk

The European version of Xenosaga 2 for PS2 came with a two-hour DVD of the story from the first (unreleased in Europe) game. I couldn’t be bothered watching it. And then because of that I couldn’t be bothered playing the game either.

18. zoopdeloop

@5 Same guess here Blerk

@10 Exactly…the game would be already one year old.So paying it full price for the ps3 with all DLC included will even that out with those who bought it on PC/360

19. daytripper

Just been looking at MS’ exclusives and its shockingly weak (well to my tastes anyway), they really need to get away from the Halo at the forefront of their line up and produce more hardcore variety.

There is Gears, Fable, Forza, the crytek game and a few less budget Xbla games, what else?

20. Hunam

The US version came with a 6 hour video of the cutscenes from the first game (well, most of them) which I did watch :P

Then again, I did buy and complete all 3 games, like a winner.

21. Blerk

Fable?

I’d agree that they’re slacking of late. But they shitcanned most of their internal teams so there’s little surprise that their output has dropped. They were previously balancing things out by funding external exclusives, but even that appears to have fallen off of late.

22. cookiejar

Like ive said for ages, the only true exclusives are ones the platform holder owns or develops in house.

Anything else is fair game, and the highest bidder wins. Or, even more so nowadays, its full on multi-platform.

23. Blerk

@20 was it 6 hours? Maybe the Euro version was the same. I forget, because I thought “pft, can’t be arsed watching that” and just put the game in the cupboard and forgot all about it. :-D

24. daytripper

@22 yep. something i’ll always give sony credit for, they give genuine support for 1st party, plus they were very smart securing naughty dog and media molecule

25. The Hindle

The first 2 Me games are pretty much stand alone anyway, you dont need to play the first to play the second. The choices you make in the first are hardly in the second, but….. the first Me game is worth playing definatly.

26. zoopdeloop

I think Sony has some terms in their contracts when it comes to ex-exclusives from others platforms making the “jump” to their consoles at a later date which indicate that there will be additional and exclusive content.
    Tales of Vesperia,Star Ocean,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 to name a few examples.So there may be exclusive content in the ps3 version.

27. cookiejar

@24 Yeah same. I truly believe Sony have the best 1st party games and dev teams, they just have a hard time working with others, or atleast they used to.

Microsoft always used their wallet to buy rather than develop, and it used to work for them. Now, not so much.

28. Aimless

Microsoft has a lot of exclusives people aren’t mentioning, trouble is they’re for Kinect.

Anyway, I hope they give PS3 owners some means to impact the opening of ME2. Lumbering them with the default choices with no means to change them would be a cruel, cruel fate.

29. The Hindle

I said that ages ago if Microsoft rely on 3rd party it could turn to be a bad choice, and i got burned for it :D you see im way ahead of my time :D But again they will have a lot of games unanounced so we dont know yet.

30. zoopdeloop

the same goes for Sony too.Relying too much on 1st and 2nd party isn’t a good choice either.They must “chip in” on 3rd party devs and support them too…to some extend.

31. The Hindle

The Ps3 is proof of what happens if you rely on 3rd party imo, it was thier first party that contributed to keeping them in the race.

32. cookiejar

@30 its if the 3rd parties even want to know.

It was easier back early on this gen, because the 360 was well ahead and had a better install base. Now its more or less even, the 3rd party publishers are saying screw that, let us put it on out on everything we can!

Having said that, PSN is a good place for small 3rd party teams to put stuff out on.

33. zoopdeloop

@31 yes it was…but if they were also supporting 3rd party as Microsoft does they wouldn’t have a really bad headstart.
    I think now Sony is starting to get the gist of it…approaching 3rd party and not relying too much on their own.

34. daytripper

@33 they can do both, support and build relationships with 3rd party devs while continuing to support their own studios. its good business and strategy.

35. DJ Deathstar

@25 Yeah but its supposed to be that your choices from the first and secocnd will have a big effect in the third, i’m expecting quite a different story depending on what choices you made

Spoilers!!!
    If anyones played the first game they know theres a choice whether to kill the Queen Rachni, i think that if you saved them they’ll appear in the last game to help you in some huge battle
    End Spoilers!!!

36. ExclusivesMostly

@34: Agreed :)

37. James Mac

@19 Unless you include Kinect, there’s AoE: Online and Flight… but I think that’s it.

Meanwhile Sony has been making hay whilst the sun shined.
    MS has done this to themselves by selling or closing all their in house studios.

To paraphrase a very wise man:
    “No mean feat, fucking yourself in the ass, but how often we manage to pull it off”.
    Al Swearengen.

38. daytripper

@37 kinects not something i look forward to

39. James Mac

@38. I don’t mind Kinect, but I think they really fell down when this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw wasn’t made a launch feature, after all Microsoft hired the guy, and Kinect should be able to do it.

40. Darkling

Exclusive Content for the PS3 other than a introduction = boycott EA/Bioware

41. cookiejar

@40 Overreacting much? I didn’t see any PS guys boycotting Rockstar Games when GTA IV went 360, or when FFXIII did. Well if they did, they were quickly captured and put back in their padded cell.

42. daytripper

@41 they are being used for the cuckoos nest sequel

43. WetSnake

@ 40
    Oh nay, one fan less for BioWare, Millions of more thanks to the PS3?

44. The Hindle

Microsoft have issued a statement regarding this

they seem pissed.

45. Blerk

If they’re so pissed they should’ve stumped up the cash and bought Bioware themselves instead of letting EA take them. :-D

All that said, that looks to put paid to any faint ‘first game on PS3′ hopes. I seem to recall Microsoft funded development of the original or something? Might be that they own a bit of it contractually or something. If that’s the case, I wonder if they could put the spoilers on any of the original game’s content being used in any form for the ‘bring you up to speed’ bit of the PS3 sequel?

46. theevilaires

F***** awesome man. I remember Shenmue for XBOX1(?) had a prologue disc where they showed the events of the first like a movie. I have no issue with this since standing in long loading elevators was the majority (51%) of ME1 :D

I got to read these comments above BRB….

47. Hunam

ME1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME2

48. LOLshock94

OMFG what a good way of bioware showing there love to everyone who brought the DLC nice one bioware you fucking tossas

49. HighWindXIX

Know what would be awesome? If the “introduction experience” was just straight up Mass Effect 1. Both on one blu-ray. I wonder if they could do that since even though MS owns the publishing rights for ME1, they’re only selling ME2. I’m sure its impossible but would be awesome. I actually just bought ME1&2 so I’ll still play the first one and then figure out what to do about the 2nd. I do like my PS3 better though . . .

50. theevilaires

If the 1st doesn’t come to PS3 in some form or faction so what I’ll still get it on 360 I don’t care. The fact is the series is now multiplat and that has hurt a lot of egos….ones that make me very happy to see hurt.

….still waiting for the apologies gentlemen.
    You know what come to think of it isn’t there a PC version of ME1?! Hell I might as well use this beast of a PC I just built playing that. And for that matter Crysis 1 also. I got a lot of back tracking to do before 2011 :(

51. Dibol1987

@first poster:

I’m very doubtful. Willing to bet that the “intro cutscene” is the carbon copy of Martin Sheen narrating the first game from the recent XBox 360 demo. We’re looking at Shenmue 2.0 again.

52. blackdreamhunk

i have the perfect link for this story