Avatars being redesigned for Kinect

Wednesday, 18th August 2010 08:29 GMT By Joe Anderson

nxe

Rare are having to redesign the Xbox 360′s avatars for Kinect, because of problems when using their cartoony proportions.

The problem with the avatars occurred because they are unlike our own frames, so people’s hand-eye coordination in certain games “broke”, apparently.

Speaking to OXM, Nick Burton, senior programmer at Rare, said the Avatars will now become more realistic and will essentially be ‘Avatar 2.0′.

There’s no more information on this at the moment, but once the update appears for Kinetic, it seems your avatar will have had some pixel surgery.

1. Kerplunk

Increased texture resolution for soles of avatars feet CONFIRMED!

2. KAP

Playstation Home should also get a redesign too.

There faces seem to look. just. wrong. If they had more expression on there faces like the sims 3 say then that could only be for the good.

3. Aimless

@2 You say that but they already made the Home avatars smile all the time. It just made them progress from “wrong” to “likely psychopathic”. They’re utterly charmless.

Anyway, I think Rare’s new Avatars have already been shown in Kinect Sports. If you look at some screenshots you’ll notice they’re more realistically proportioned than the current models, although who knows if the transformation is just for Kinect titles or is across the (Dash)board.

4. Blerk

I hope they don’t make them all “creepy mannequin” like the Home avatars. I’ve gotten kind of attached to my little cartoony persona.

Edit: Hmm, you’re right, Aimless. They look pretty odd in Kinect Sports – the arms and legs are definitely different. It looks like they’ve taken a standard avatar head and stuck it onto a completely different body, with not-entirely-successful results.

5. Aimless

They definitely look off, like someone’s taken regular characters and enabled DK Mode. There’s something quietly unsettling about this shot in particular.

6. justiceblob

Add making more than one avatar per account to your list Rare, I would like a collection of family/ historical figures like I do with Miis on my Wii.

7. Brol

That makes sense, you can’t have proportions that are too unrealistic with the kind of technology Kinect is using. Otherwise you run into weird issues like “my arms are too short to touch my knees”, or “my feet are so big I can’t kneel”. Looking forward to the new creepy avatars :)

8. cookiejar

Good to see Rare spending their time kicking out quality stuff again ;)

9. BraveArse

@5 That shot makes it look like he’s wearing a full head-mask of his own head. Very odd indeed.

10. DuckOfDestiny

Awwww but I like how my avatar looks.

11. HighWindXIX

That’s a shame. I actually thought the current Avatars were a nice balance between realistic (compared to the Wii where you can’t make anything look like anyone) but not too realistic (like Home where they’re just creepy). Oh well!