GSC Game World announces S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Friday, 13th August 2010 21:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

stalkera3

GSC Game World has announced it’s developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

Posted over on the official website, a “completely new multi-platform technology developed by GSC” for the core of the game was also announced.

“After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe,” said GSC CEO said Sergiy Grygorovych.

“This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us.”

The game is scheduled for release in 2012.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Erthazus

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEES!

PS: you can write that it also will come to consoles, but officially what consoles will be unveiled in the future.

Probably 360

2. LordCancer

cool.

3. Anders

Never got the STALKER series. Seems to be doing well for them though.

4. Erthazus

@3 Casual gamers will never get this game. It’s awesome.
    Mods, community and e.t.c. it’s fantastic.

4 million copies absolutely deserved.

5. LordCancer

watch the sells on steam, d2d, gamersgate, get the first two stalker games for less then $5 each.

@4 the mods are really good.

6. DSB

Probably one of the finest concepts never to be fully realized.

@3 How much of it did you play? It didn’t do a lot to accomodate a player starting out, and it was obviously a complete mess, but when it really clicked, with all the elements of choice and freedom, it felt as brilliant as Deus Ex.

Then 5 minutes later, you run into another gamebreaking bug. Sad.

7. Erthazus

@6 Call Of Pripyat actually did really well. With all patches now there are almost no bugs.

Now, i need to be ready for the new rig: 32 GB Ram, i46 core processor with 4 SLI 780 Geforce and e.t.c. can’t fucking wait :lol:

8. LordCancer

32GB of ram? lol

9. Anders

@3 I’m sure, but I’m not a casual gamer.

@6 Played it for about 30 minutes, and then realized that I’d rather play something else. Thought about returning to it, but never did.

10. LordCancer

anders you died fast huh? again, again and again. lol

11. DSB

@9 Can’t say I blame you. It was pretty ridiculously broken.

Still, it did have those moments that made you go “Wow” at just how much you could actually interact with the world.

Shooters really need to learn from that. Instead of being the guy who runs real fast and shoots a lot, you should also be interacting with people, and those interactions should have as much influence on what happens in the game, as a headshot or a perfect ‘nade strike.

12. LordCancer

in the first game the door closed on me… its amazing that you have to get a 3rd party patch to fix something that virtually ends the game unless you have lots of of patients to run at the door repeatedly and hope it bounces open.

13. SwiftRanger

The original game doesn’t have anything game breaking anymore since the 1.004 patch, nor do the stand-alone expansions. Endlessly repeating quests and some PDA/stash bugs aren’t game breaking, just sloppy game design.

Everyone calling themselves an FPS/RPG fanatic should buy Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat, pretty much the best and most atmospheric open-world shooters in years. Stay clear of Clear Sky, that was just awful.

Good to hear about the real sequel then, I am only hoping the tech is good and that the “multiplatform” bit doesn’t take anything away from the potential of the PC version. No mod support would be ridiculous for example.

14. Erthazus

@13 I hope that they will have not just a mod support, but game without a bugs.

15. Moonwalker1982

My laptop will probably run the first game very well, should i go for it? Not much of a pc gamer, but now that i saw how good my laptop runs games, i might play a bit more on it .

16. AHA-Lambda

only played the first need to play the rest

17. LOLshock94

i thought call of pripyat was 2???? anyways im glad STALKER is one hell of a game and all of them are reallt good its probely my fav the PC game ive got and so is arma 2 but hopefully they have improved the graphics

18. Old MacDonald

17: Call of Pripyat was actually the third game. Loved it to bits, though. I hope they don’t move too far from the original “trilogy” with Stalker 2.

19. BULArmy

Good I hope they go The Witcher 2 way in which the PC version is first released and thean they make the console ports and make them acording to the limitations of the platforms. If they do the simultanious we will get healt regen, smaler world and some other shit. Because if they want the game to sell on consoles they must do changes. like I said hope they will the the PC version first.

20. Dralen

I’m so glad these games have done well. I’ve got all three in this series and I love every one of them. Cannot wait to see what they do next with it.

21. SavageD

Stalker ‘complete’ is the only way to play the game(s) now (apply latest official patch first of course):

Very, very polished. The version for Pripyat is in the works.

22. KrazyKraut

wow nice….hoping for ps3/360 versions too!

@SavageD
    nice m8, thanks for the tip!

23. SavageD

You’re most welcome!

24. LordCancer

Have you played metro 2033 krazykraut? same vein as stalker and even made by some of the ex developers from the original stalker game.

I almost fear a console version, even if it were an option I don’t think I’d like forgoing the complete mod.

25. LOLshock94

@18 i though clear sky was a prequel???

26. LordCancer

clear sky is a prequel and still the 2nd game in the series, shock.

27. NiceFellow

Great news. The first was great once patched, one of the best hybrid SP FPS experiences I’ve had next to Deus Ex.

The depth and detail of the world was awesome and to me far more interesting and involving that the simple shooters FPS have become again.

Descending into one of the underground silos was quite the experience in dread and a real sense of the unknown.

What sold me on Stalker though was sitting at camp fires with someone playing the guitar, picking up some info and then heading out into the unknown.

The sense of a real world with you just one part of it was fantastic.

With the mods the game is the hardcore SP FPS experience to have IMHO.

I just hope that finally they get the game out stable without having to rely on patches and the community to sort things out.

28. DSB

@21 Thanks a lot for the tip. All this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. talk actually made me pick up the old mess on Steam.

*EDIT*

Just so anyone picking up the game avoid downloading the “Complete” installer first, and then the manual install, only to realize that you could actually use the installer anyway…

Steam doesn’t apply your games to the registry until you start them up the first time, so the installer won’t recognize S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on your computer until you’ve already run it once.

I feel pretty stupid for missing that, and now, you don’t have to.

Anyway, I’ve been playing the game again, and it is a lot better than I remember. With that mod I’m hoping to avoid any of the lame crap that ruined it for me the first time around.

Just shooting at people with my little pistol and having the bullets not hit a damn thing makes me feel like I’m really a poor bastard lost in a violent wilderness. That’s a lot more profound than Fallout 3 ever got, in my oppinion.

29. Tomo

Fan-bloody-tastic news! Love these games to bits.

Didn’t realise the old ones had done 4 mil either, not too shabby.

30. Uncontested

I remember when I first bought STALKER it was so much different than any other FPS that I got so frustrated and just didn’t play it for a few months.

Then I picked it up again eventually and learned how to get into it, and by the time I had finally upgraded some of my gear I was hooked (Since I wasn’t dying in 4 shots anymore lol)

Great game… Clear Sky pissed me off tho, the infinite spawning of enemy faction soldiers made me quit playing about 75% threw the game, and the NEVER fixed it with an official or unofficial patch as I understood it.

Tried CoP but just couldn’t get into it.. the mechanics and shooting just feel so dated and awful now a days.. kinda sad I couldn’t enjoy it since I remember loving (for the most part) the first two games.

31. Moonwalker1982

I ask again, what are good reasons to start with this game? I am sure my laptop will run the game fine, since it runs Crysis fine on medium and many other games. I just want to know if its worth it. I’ve played alot of FPS games, one of the last was Metro 2033, awesome atmosphere and great game. What does this game do that others don’t ?

32. LOLshock94

well every AI u kill they never respawn

33. DSB

@31 It just has a cool feel to it. You’re running around this eerie, irradiated version of the dead zone around Chernobyl, tackling an ecosystem of bandits, mercenaries, traders, mutants, military and smaller factions. The guns have heavy recoil, some of them have dispersion, making you feel like you aren’t a top trained killer. Every kill takes a bit of work.

It’s an old game now, and it felt old even when it came out, but it all depends on how much you like that sort of hopeless, cynical setting. I’m 4 hours into Shadow of Chernobyl and I haven’t seen any of the bugs that ruined it for me the first time, so it seems the “Complete” mod has really improved it. Worth the 10 Euro on Steam so far.

@32 The (non-event) AI randomizes every time you enter a zone in SoC.

34. Erthazus

@31 If Crysis runs on medium, Stalker could not run or maybe you will be lucky. It depends on configuration. There are a lot of bugs, so prepare for the proper shitstorm.