Megaton rumor: Duke Nukem Forever resuming development at Gearbox?

Wednesday, 11th August 2010 06:36 GMT By Nathan Grayson

dukenukemforever31

Duke came here to finish development and chew gum. And he’s finally all out of gum.

According to anonymous sources that spoke with Kotaku, Duke Nukem Forever has – like the phoenix of legend, except with an even longer lifespan – risen from the ashes. Apparently, however, this time Borderlands developer Gearbox is taking the reigns, which sounds like the best thing to ever happen, if we’re being honest.

A playable demo of the game may even drop later this year, indicated one source, since Gearbox is allegedly picking up where 3D Realms left off development-wise. Where this leaves Gearbox’s Duke Nukem Begins spin-off, meanwhile, is anyone’s guess at this point.

As far as actual confirmation goes, every lead’s run smack dab into a brick wall. Imagine a choir chorus of “No comments” and you’ll have a pretty good idea of what we’re dealing with. However, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford loosened his lips just long enough to hint that more news might be on the way at PAX, which convenes at the beginning of September.

For now, though, fingers crossed. This, we think, is a match made in game development heaven – and not just because it’s much preferred to Duke’s old residence in game development purgatory.

1. Patrick Garratt

This is true, by the way.

2. Nathan Grayson

Does that make this a Trumor, then?

Because that sounds really unpleasant.

3. Ehsan-PG

4. Robster1979

^^^ Is this spam or relevant

i cant read squiggles, backwards.

5. Freek

Do we really want to see a studio as talented as Gearbox dish up somebody elses left overs?

6. GitForceGemini

Don’t they have Aliens game to make?

7. Samuel

And so begins the next 30-year cycle of development hell, at the end of which the game will not be released, again. Honestly, I’m fine with that. At this point I think it would be almost disappointing if this game ever did get released. It would ruin the only special thing about it, its status as the King of Vaporware, and become what will surely only be a thoroughly mediocre game that took far too long to make.

8. Robo_1

From the brief glimpses we were afforded of DNF footage, I’m glad a team like Gearbox is on the case. There did look to be a good deal of material completed, and if they can save the project and finally get it on the shelves then that’s a good thing. Not least for all the guys who spent so much time working on it.

I wonder what platforms they’ll be targeting? Was the original team ever going after anything other than PC?

9. Erthazus

If they are going to continue with that ID Tech 4 engine than this will fail miserably.

They should make it from scratch.

10. informingtw@t

Erthazus, They never have and never will be using the id Tech 4 engine for Duke Nukem Forever. Duke Nukem Forever is using the Unreal 2 Engine which has been heavily modified to include almost none of the original code.

11. mojo

lol @ 10

9: why ID Tech 4? why not ID Tech 5?

12. jamjam

They should finish Aliens: Colonial Marines first ;p

13. DJ Deathstar

Well they’ve had the spaces for 3 unannounced mystery games on their website since Borderlands release so it is clear their working on multiple projects

14. Erthazus

@10 informingtw@t, you are fucking wrong because Prey 3D Realms made with ID Tech 4 and all gameplay trailers look exactly like from ID Tech 4 in Duke foreber. They made on Unreal Engine 2 BEFORE 3D Realms started to do Duke from scratch on the new Engine.

15. osric90

If this game ever comes out and it’s a 5/10 game, I’ll be so pissed off I’ll kick somebody randomly in the crotch.

16. LePlatypus

@15 does it matter what reviewers think of this game? If you like it then you thinkit’s good. It’s not shit just cause reviewers said it is

17. Ghost_Dog

I don’t care about the Duke anymore.

I want Aliens: Colonial Marines!

18. freedoms_stain

If this is for real, know what’d be a fucking awesome easter egg?

Lilith from Borderlands as a Pole Dancer.

“Shake em baby!” I’d probably sit doing that for an hour or 2.

19. JonFE

@Erthazus:

Are you so rude in real life or just on the ‘net? Constantly using adult language is not a sign of maturity you know…

20. Gadzooks!

After Borderlands I’ll back whatever Gearbox have to offer.

Duke, Aliens, whatever. They got my vote.

21. elronathon

If this comes out I will be compelled to buy it. For me, for the last 12 years this story/game has been the equivalent of a song stuck in my head…the only way I find to get that out is to listen to said song.

I’ve got to play this and put the ghost to rest :)

22. Psychotext

Legendary. I’ll buy it even if it’s shit. :)

23. AHA-Lambda

*wakes up*
    *reads story*
    *rubs eyes*

HOLY FU-

24. SplatteredHouse

It’s…Over, really!
    /Stumbles out of cave, rubs eyes
    /notices long straggly beard, caught under foot
    I’VE SLEPT TOO LONG!

25. DeSpiritusBellum

I really don’t care if this turns out good or not, as long as it opens up for a sequel, so Gearbox can do their thing.

It would be a shame to let the Duke die. Also, against the laws of nature.

I wonder what “later this year” is in standard years. Duke years seem to be running kinda long.

26. mojo

thuis is because his muscle tone is going at nearly the speed of light.
    u know the crazyness of time in relativity..
    so actualy his right in time…

will buy this for sure. even if its shit.
    I just have to. like the holy grail of gaming lol

27. JonFE

Release it on a Limited Edition, including all the different builds of the game throughout its development hell -scratch that, I meant circle- and you’ve got my money…

28. Callum

I’d buy if it was shit. I’d buy it as it comes now! gime gime gime!

29. The_Deleted

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWNNN!

30. DaMan

I really don’t give a shit anymore.

just shut up and develop it or fuck off, seriously.

31. walk_star

Jon St. John is bound to tweet some leaked info soon. That’s where I’ll park my browser for now