EA was making game based on Iraq war, canned it, says THQ’s Bilson

Tuesday, 10th August 2010 10:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

iraq

THQ publishing boss Danny Bilson’s revealed EA was making a game based on the Iraq war. “Was” being the operative word.

You see, before the land of Saints Row and Darksiders came calling, Bilson was at EA as an exec. And in that time, this was one of the games he oversaw.

Until it was binned, obviously.

“When I worked at my former company [EA], I had to go to the UK in the middle of the Iraq war and try to talk to them about a game that we never wound up finishing – it was well built up – that was that stuff, right?,” he told CVG.

“Remember, even in America you’re split 50/50 on this stuff.”

He added: “You go overseas, and if you’re an unconscious American, you walk into a wall. Or you just don’t sell.

“This is a human story. It’s not an American story. And it absolutely will expand beyond the States in future.”

The closest a game has come to an Iraq situation from EA is Medal of Honor, which is based on the Afghanistan war.

That releases in October for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. freedoms_stain

Probably got shit-canned because play-testers got fed up of being fragged by IED’s every 10 paces.

2. Dr.Freeman

they canned this n also 6 days in fallujah bcoz they knew that America lost the Iraq war, n that is a fact only a retard would oppose.

3. Zonejeu

So Bilson is a former EA exec who spills out trade secrets from his former employer… Not only will he lose the confidence of his current employer, but he might end up with a law suit up his ass. Aahhh confidentiality…

4. Tonka

Oh noes. GAme set in current war fail gets canned.
    I. Don’t. Know. If. I’ll. Ever. Smile. Again.

5. Crysis

how do ‘ya kno it’s confidential?

6. theevilaires

Well if they won’t do it you can bet your ass this will be COD MW4 next gen ;)

7. DeSpiritusBellum

Well, Iraq with McChrystal as the head of JSOC ran approximately three special forces operations every night, with Delta and SAS operatives basically taxiing from raid to raid.

Eat, sleep, raid. That’s some of the heaviest spec ops activity since WW2. Could’ve made for a good game.

I fail to see how Afghanistan is a better setting, they’re basically negotiating surrender at the moment.

@2 You can’t lose a war that never had a real objective :p

8. Dr.Freeman

@7 absolutely true.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 at last I found someone who’s in a same boat as me.

10. Uncontested

@2 Kill yourself faggot. My last deployment in Iraq consisted of endless patrols of doing nothing talking to locals about fixing buildings and handing out candy to little kids. I’d say we won.

11. reask

Sorry but I would have to disagree with you on that one.
    Having just read Black Hearts about Bravo 1 in the triangle of death it appears to me anyway that the Americans basically gave control back to the Iraqis because the occupation became unsustainable from a military point of view.

I mean lets face it Baghdad is hardly on the top 10 of summer destinations this year.
    And the second object of the invasion after the WMD was sussed was to bring democracy to the country so fail on both counts really.