UK charts: Modern Warfare 2 surges to second, Toy Story 3 gets top spot

Monday, 9th August 2010 10:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

modernwarfare241

Toy Story 3′s regained the top spot in the latest UK charts, but it’s Modern Warfare 2 that’s made the biggest gain.

The Infinity Ward shooter, which was at number eight last week, has smashed its way back up to second.

You could say it’s had a bit of a “Resurgence”, innit.

According to Chart-Track, it had a 25 percent week-on-week increase thanks to burgeoning PS3 sales, and may overtake Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training as the “UK biggest unit seller” as soon as next week.

Dance on Broadway, StarCraft II and Red Dead Redemption rounded off the top five.

Get the top ten for the week ending August 7 below. Last week’s data is here.

uk charts

1. Centipede

Wow… I did not expect SCII to fall of the top spot this fast.

2. Lahanas

Its a pc game, what do you expect?

3. Hunam

An a blizzard game, everyone probably rushed out to get it week one.

4. freedoms_stain

SCII will likely maintain strong long-tail sales for the next decade, particularly after the inevitable triple-pack with Terran, Zerg and Protoss campaigns comes out.

5. themadjock

Why are people still buying MW2 the SP is disappointing and the storyline terrible. The MP is too inaccessible for the noob. Who is buying it?

6. BillyBatts

Bit harsh to call the single player ‘disappointing’ IMO. Par for the course, does what it says on the tin, no real surprises but altogether solid throughout I thought. MP is a bit hairy though.

7. poopoofruits

8. poopoofruits

Modern warfare 2 has the easiest online i’ve played. Anyone can pick it up and play, it just has a certain fluidity to it and ease.

9. G1GAHURTZ

I bought my StarCraft 2 from battle.net.

There are probably lots of digital sales that won’t make this chart.

I’m really enjoying it so far… I actually didn’t play MW2 last night, cos I was playing SC2 instead.

10. RomaTotti10

SC II is in second place on the individual formats chart. And the DS version of Toy Story 3 is number 7.

11. DeSpiritusBellum

I spent about a week or two getting my ass handed to me in MW2 multiplayer, then I started getting the high killstreaks, and man did it ever get fun.

Definitely the best competitive multiplayer I’ve played.

It’s a good idea to join the hardcore team deathmatch mode if you’re struggling – It really teaches you to guard yourself in a deathmatch, which is basically just as important as fragging.

12. AHA-Lambda

@8 – its easy if you always use a broken kit anyway >_>

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@12 Common theory, yet I’d like to see just one person prove that with some consistency. I haven’t played a single match (out of 1200) outside of Rust, where one of these supposedly “amazing” scavenging noobtubers has gotten the top spot.

It’s also mostly put forward by people who claim to hate the game, so I’m guessing they don’t play very much.

Broken kit is teams full of medics in BC2 using their M60s as sniper rifles.