Rumor – Splinter Cell and PoP Trilogies in HD hitting PS3 by year’s end

Saturday, 7th August 2010 22:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

amazonfrance

Amazon France has listings on its site for a Splinter Cell Trilogy and a Prince of Persia Trilogy, and it has both slated to hit PS3 in November in full HD glory.

Neither is a confirmed retail listing from Ubisoft yet, so despite showing up, keep both filed in rumorville for the time being.

Splinter Cell was spotted by TheSixthAxis,while the Prince of Persia listing was found by one of its commenters.

Another commenter stated the Splinter Cell Trilogy would indeed be released per a “pre-order book” he has access to.

Groovy if it’s all true.

We’ll mail Ubisoft.

Thanks, AHA-Lambda.

1. Boris Fett

Why let people play their older games on their new consoles when we can make them pay for them?! TWICE!

Genius. Clap clap, Sony.

2. Johnny Cullen

Must be a pointer now to Conviction finally coming to PS3. Would make a lot of sense…

PS2 trilogy via a collection, Double Agent is already out on PS3, so a Conviction announcement must be around the corner.

3. Gekidami

Not to rain on anyones parade, but just before E3 Amazon France listed Uncharted 3, FFvXIII for 360 and Horizon. So yeah…

4. metamorphic

@Boris Fett
    Ubisoft is the one publishing them, you idiot. Plus, if released, this and other PS2 Classics are HD remasters (and more) of previously released games: who wouldn’t want that? I own several Blu-Ray remasters of classic movies and it is absolutely stunning; I, and I’m pretty sure several others, sure as hell wouldn’t mind to see the same with games.

5. Boris Fett

@4 You missed my point entirely.

6. Madlink

I sort of agree with Boris Fett, surely we wouldn’t be seeing re-releases of ‘classic’ titles if people could actually just pop their PS2 discs into their PS3s. (Of course some people can, but I would reckon that it’s a small percentage of the install base now)

It’s a tricky situation though because I’m actually all for the re-releasing of certain titles (I’ve bought Mario 64 on N64, DS and Virtual Console now) if it means that a new set of gamers can get to see what all the fuss was about (or not!)

As for the Splinter Cell and PoP games, well there’s one or two games in their respective trilogies that I would like to have a definitive version of. (Warrior Within and Pandora Tomorrow not so much)

7. osric90

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If PoP trilogy is coming out, I’m REALLY HAPPY. I sold my PS2 PoP games for food, hahaha…and then I made the petition to Ubisoft via Facebook backuped by tons of GREAT people. So let’s hope it’s true! ICO Collection and PoP collection would/WILL be A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!!!

8. Crysis

i’d like to see an add-on accesory for the ps3 which allows us to play ps2 games, MS did it with their hdd, why not release some sorta portable device? aslong as it remains cheap-i’m sure it would sell like hotcakes

9. Madlink

Ubisoft have actually already released the PoP trilogy in HD…on PC. Yeah….

I don’t think there’s much controller support which is pretty vital for these games, but I’m sure blackdreamhunk will be along to tell me I’m wrong soon enough! :)

Also, the trilogy was released on PS2 as well. So people with backwards compatible PS3s could probably save themselves a bit of money.

10. BrokenSymmetry

All 3 PoP games in the Sands of Time trilogy on PC have support for controllers, but the controller support in Sands of Time is not very good, so I used an external driver for that (Pinnacle).
    Also, the first 2 games don’t have widescreen support.
    So, all in all, a full HD version would really be welcome, and a good excuse to play these games again. Even the much-maligned Warrior Within is actually a great game.

11. Gekidami

“Also, where’s the love for the 360? Surely Ubisoft should be doing HD remasters of the Splinter Cell and PoP games for that format too.”

Ubi would have to release them on multiple discs which sort of defeats the point, it would also cost Ubi more in licensing fees (they have to pay per DVD used). There just arent any real advantages to releasing HD Collections on 360.

12. DrDamn

I have a fat PS3 with backward compatibility and would much rather pay for properly enhanced version than replay the originals. The GoW trilogy was very well done and added a lot to the games – most notably a good solid 60fps.

Sure there is the point that Sony are exploiting their removal of BC. You are doing a disservice to what these revamps provide though.

13. ExclusivesMostly

@12: Exactly :)

14. Erthazus

@12 Fucking brilliant. Paying for the HD material that you can enable on your PC for free. I understand paying 3-5 bucks, but not 39 or more.

Same goes with ICO collection or SOC. There is emulator. Play as much as you want in HD on your telly.

PoP and Splinter (maybe, don’t remember) are aleady in HD…… On PC.

15. LePlatypus

@14 perhaps some people prefer the controller experience and using controls that were made for the game rather than shitty emulator crap

16. cookiejar

@15 You sir, are correct.

And, after the experience I had this weekend with PC gaming, I don’t wanna touch a PC game ever again, let alone a ripped off emulated one.

I’d be up for this, Chaos Theory would be ideal in HD + trophies.

17. Erthazus

@15 “than shitty emulator crap”

Except Not. You didn’t even tried emulator so don’t even argue here.

POP and Splinter Cell are made specifically for PC (without emulator) in HD and all controls are fine for the mouse and keyboard. Splinter Cell plays much better and smoother on PC with it’s controls.
    Want to play with the controller? Play with the emulator and there is no difference except paying 39 EUR for some PORT.

Well, some idiots do that.

18. The Hindle

This doesnt make sense, why after releasing Conviction as a 360 exclusive would they then release these for the Ps3?

19. Crysis

Many people prefer the console experiance over pc, for one, the game was designed with the controller specifically in mind (many prefer the controller over board & mouse, cept the hardcore geeks) & two, i don’t know the last time an anti-virus alert, an update or an accidental minimise killed a game on my console, oh right, there’s no third party interferances on a console. also we’ve all had trouble with a game on a specific OS & unexplainable lag or horrific FPS, so for the average gamer, the console is just much more conveniant with many genres (RTS being the only exception i can currently think of), so it’s conveniance vs details (& maybe performance).

20. cookiejar

@18 As Johnny said, it paves the way for an announcement about Conviction heading to PS3, especially if it was a 360 timed exclusive. Get this out first, then conviction.

21. Crysis

so, MS payed for timed exclusivity or maybe it wasn’t timed & Convictions is not coming to the ps3, doesn’t bother me though to be honest

22. DrDamn

“I understand paying 3-5 bucks, but not 39 or more.”

Last time I checked a PC cost more than 39 bucks no? You completely missed the point, I don’t want to play them on a PC. I game on consoles.

23. DJ Deathstar

I would love the SC one to release on 360 purely as it might get people into playing the online which was awesome in Chaos Theory, why they ruined it in Double Agent and then removed it from Conviction is beyond me!

24. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’d buy SC trilogy remastered in HD for sure. :)

25. theevilaires

Me too Dr.G. I have every original SP for the original XBOX but could never get a grip on the controls of that horrible XBOX controller….plus MGS3 completely made Sam Fisher an after thought.

26. Boris Fett

Most people seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that you can plug controllers (including the 360 controller) straight into your PC…

27. Crysis

yeh, but often needs to be calloborized & all that shit & i notice a small delay with the 360 controls in there

28. theevilaires

Thats what I do O’Connor. ATM I’m enjoying some good ol’ school classics on my new PC I just built with my Dual Shock 3.

29. AHA-Lambda

both are now on zavvi

30. Johnny Cullen

You know what else is there? Valkyria Chronicles for £18. BUY IT FOR FUCK SAKE!