The Last Story: Official website updated with details and screens

Friday, 6th August 2010 18:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Last Story

Nintendo has updated official site for Mistwalker’s The Last Story with some gorgeous in-game screens and some character renders.

We’ve pulled and posted ‘em for you below.

Below, you’ll see shots of:

• Ruri Island, which is on the last continent in existence in the Gulf, which is a place full of resources and prosperity.
  • The City of Ruri, a base for the game’s hero Elsa. It’s bustling with trade and according to the site it’s “filled with avenues, squares, and streets that are heavily detailed”.
  • Mercenaries from the mainland, one of which is our hero Elsa, who was hired to kill monsters and the like. Mercenaries take on jobs no one else will, and are under the service of the Imperial Knights. Else one day hopes to be a knight himself.
  • The battle system, which has the player using the Wii Remote to pull off two different features. One is called The Gathering, which attracts enemies and strategically pulls them into your desired area for better battle options. The other is called the Pointer, which allows you to draw a “line” and designate enemies as the “pointer”. This way, you know which member of your team is being targeted and are able to use it to your advantage.
  • Characters Elsa, Kanan, Quark, Seiren, and Yuris.
  • Elsa’s first mission is also shown, and in it our hero is  in a cave where a mysterious force  gives him powers. He is unsure what this new power is, but he is dead set on finding out and the site hints at his “fate”, meaning it will play a larger part in the game’s story.

It’s all sounding rather awesome, in our humble opinion.

Head on over to the game’s official site for the full bit.

Still no date. Please give us one Nintendo. Thanks.

1. theevilaires

The last Story? Isn’t that like saying Final Fantasy but in a different way. WTF!? Is this the same guy who got kicked out from square and basically started the FF franchise?

2. Phoenixblight

Right he is trying imitate what he did few decades ago. It won’t be successful. All his games have been crappy with only one of them having potential.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 But I liked Blue Dragon :(

4. Phoenixblight

It had potential but the thing that killed it for me was characters not having their own unique skill. ANd the story was a bit childish.

5. infinite chaos

I won’t comment on Blue Dragon as I haven’t played it. However, Lost Odyssey was epic. Best jrpg I’ve played in years and possibly one of my top 5 rpgs ever. Even if I knew nothing about any of the Final Fantasy games, LO alone would have been enough to sell me The Last Story.

I’m not arguing that this game will be a success but I wouldn’t say either, at this point, that it won’t. I think there’s plenty of potential here. Whether you hate or like Sakaguchi, many would agree that neither Square nor Final Fantasy have been the same since the guy left the company.

6. DaMan

they made one of their better games after his departure in particular, FF 12.

and their titles gradually went downhill since 1998, aside from Vagrant Story, Square never made a game that came close to Chrono Trigger, FF 6/7 or Xenogears. they set the bar too high too many times with those rpgs. time for something different.

7. Phoenixblight

“Vagrant Story, Square never made a game that came close to Chrono Trigger, FF 6/7 or Xenogears”

8. Bleak Harvest

Personally, I cannot wait for this game.

9. kasasensei

Beautiful

10. Hunam

It looks amazing. Kinda wish it was on a HD console though.

11. Hunam

FF9 is held by many as the pinnacle of the PS1 FF games, it’s not a black and whit issue

Secondly, if you think a producer, executive producer or supervisor has nothing to do with the game being made you have next to no understanding of how games are made :P

12. DaMan

FF9 was completely poor. you only need to play 4 to see how much of a pathetic rehash the game was. it’s like saying Cross was as good as Trigger, only worse. I don’t see how a game that does everything worse or the same as it’s predecessors can be called a ‘pinnacle’.

FFX is insanely popular as well, and it’s the best selling FF iirc, doesn’t make it any less of a disaster.

13. Hunam

Heh, Confusing opinion and fact there DeMan :P

14. Boris Fett

“FF9 was completely poor.”

You. Are. Wrong. You just are.

15. dirigiblebill

FF9 is my favourite post-16-bit FF by virtue of it’s being least far up its own backside. Specifically, I place it somewhere around the anal canal. (FFXIII, by contrast, is well into the sigmoid colon.)

16. DaMan

Hunam, using your logic you can put pretty much any game alongside another. poor compared to their previous games, average if you count every jrpg.

I fail to see how that’s opinionated. I fail to see how I can’t as well say FF 10 was up there with the best, if you ‘re basing it purely on taste. or put SO The Last Hope alongside Second Story. FF9 was pretty much along the lines of Legend of dragoon, heck LoD at least had a somewhat innovative hit system, which shadow Hearts later perfected.

I enjoyed it, but putting that game alongside 6 or 7 or other truly great titles, let alone above is ridiculous. poor retarded story, rehashed from their SNES classics, poor characters, great visual assets. gameplay wise it did nothing better than the previous games, same standard SNES era pseudo combat. not to mention the ridiculously easy difficulty.

if you told me that FF4 is a great game, I’d agree. but a poorly done rehash of it hardly warrants anything above ‘average’. like i said it’s kind of Cross vs Trigger, only Cross was at least somewhat good.

17. Filofax

@DaMan It’s horses for courses matey, FF9 was a great game.

18. Boris Fett

@16 This is how I rank the franchise right now.

1. FFXII
    2. FFVI
    3. FFIX

I’m not sure I’d criticise IX it for its difficulty level. It’s not insanely hard by any stretch, but unlike FFVII and FFVIII,where you could basically win almost every single fight in the game simply by pressing the X button, you did actually have to use some element of strategy to get through the game.

The game may not have done anything particularly innovative, but that was never the point for me. What it did it did well. Playing through it again recently, the story seems to me much better constructed than I used to think it was when I was younger. It has some extremely dark tones under it cartoonish exterior, if you care to pay close attention to it.

As far as game worlds, it’s one of the most distinctive and well realised I’ve ever immersed myself in in an RPG. The game has more personality, charm and character in it than most of the rest of the franchise combined.

19. DaMan

@17 my favourite Square title was actually CC, whether the game was great or not doesn’t take away the fact that you can enjoy it. unfortunately, certain people believe their favourite games are the most well made ones.

horses for courses would be say, FF 4 vs 12. you can compare 9 to 7 or 8 very well in fact. a game that does nothing as good as the previous entries and takes several steps back warrants to be called mediocre. same as today’s jrpgs. the genre has become stagnant and lame since the end of 90s, for some reason certain people only noticed it when HD consoles came out. sorry, nice character design can’t make up for shallow and/or cliched personalities and silly plot. if I wanted to experience a classic story for kids, I’d read Wizard of Oz..

the amount of gameplay in FF9 was dropped in favour of nice looking backgrounds and cg movies, the trend was started with FF8 and continued with Square’s later games. visuals was in fact the only thing it was good at. oh, it has a female dragoon with mysterious past, and a 3d black magician from the 1986 game.

saying that in 7 it was X button all the time whilst 9 was any different is simply not true. the depth was uncomparable really, the amount of sidequests and the such was considerably better. 8 had one huge flaw – once you figure out the junction system it became a walk in the park, 9 was instead a monotonous X tapping with occasional limit, er trance breaks.

I remember the story very well, thank you. it was a pice of crap, Palom and Parom were more dramatic than any of it’s twists. go ahead and tell me it had some subtle artsy character development, unlike 12 it never did unfortunately.

also, the final villain. that ‘twist’ was pretty much a final nail in the story’s coffin. to this day, I actually haven’t seen a person that would disagree, including die hard FF9 fans.

art style and graphics alone don’t make a game great. the simple fact is that all Square games prior to 2001 (including even FFX) were very immersive.

20. Boris Fett

@18 “your ‘what it did it did well’ remark slightly contradicts your own GoW critic, doesn’t it?”

I fail to see how. JRPG have gotten worse in recent years, where as spectacle fighters have come on leaps and bounds over the last generation. I find one of them fun and enjoyable (I think JRPGs have a certain ageless quality that makes them still fun even now), while the other just feels clunky, outdated and poorly designed.

Apples and oranges.

“saying that in 7 it was X button all the time whilst 9 was any different is simply not true.”

Well, I can distinctly remember getting a large portion of the fights in FFVII and FFVIII simply by using “Attack”. Go that in FFIX, you’d be dead after the second boss. Enemies and bosses actually did enough damage that you actually *had* to concentrate on the fights and use the right abilities to win. You could get through most of FFVII’s and FFVIII’s fights with your eyes closed… especially VIII if you abused the Junction System hardcore.

“I remember the story very well, thank you. it was a pice of crap, Palom and Parom were more dramatic than any of it’s twists.”

I’m a big fan of fairy tales. That’s the kind of vibe that FFIX’s world and story gave off for me, and I consider that a good thing personally. It was certainly a step up from FFVIII, at least.

At least we can agree on one thing, that FFXII had a under-appreciated subtlety to its character development. I think it’ll be a long time before Square tops that Final Fantasy.

“9 was instead a monotonous X tapping with occasional limit, er trance breaks.”

“also, the final villain. that ‘twist’ was pretty much a final nail in the story’s coffin.”

The boss was never meant to be a significant part of the story.

21. DaMan

neither Ng nor Dmc progressed at all, the only exception was Platinum’s game. besides, GoW never tried competing with Capcom’s crazy mechanics or NG depth. it was even more of an action-adventure game.

anyway..
    you criticized GoW for not doing what it never tried to do, and then defended Square’s most stagnant and dated entry for being good at ‘classic’ stuff.

“I can distinctly remember getting a large portion of the fights in FFVII and FFVIII simply by using “Attack”. Go that in FFIX, you’d be dead after the second boss. Enemies and bosses actually did enough damage that you actually *had* to concentrate on the fights and use the right abilities to win. ”
    this is not true at all. then again, come to think of it if you only want to get through the game all FFs were like that in their core actually,

drawing and junction was necessary in 8, where as in 9 even if you were bothered to get many abilities you only had to get the weapon and grind for some time.

my point is that 7 and 8 had way more stuff to offer. sure if you only wanted to get to the last boss the series was always dumbed down enough to do that relatively quickly, or just grind.

“Other than the brilliant script? No, it wasn’t full of “twists”, but then, I consider stories that obsessively focus on plot twists to be extremely amateur storytelling. I would rank FFVIII’s story as easily the worst story in any of the post-PSone Final Fantasies.”
    translation that is? indeed, Square did a better job with the later titles.

I never said you need twists to have a good plot. besides, FF9 ironically had plenty: the queen’s demise, the monkey boy being not whom he appeared at the start, the princess losing speech crap, Kuja being the bro. there were plenty.

“It was certainly a step up from FFVIII, at least.”
    not a step up whatsoever. it was meant to be refreshing by going to old crystal stuff style, but ended up as a lame rehash. and it wasn’t implemented nearly as decent as 8, yes it was aimed at angsty teens but it was very well done for a videogame it suppposed to be.

“I’d love to see you do that with a party make-up of Zidane, Eiko, Dagger and Vivi.”
    you can make up that kind of active members in any game. besides, with a party you mentioned it becomes ‘tap down – use spell – occasionally refill mana’.

“The boss was never meant to be a significant part of the story.”
    it was a fitting end to a gradually bad plot, the further you were into FF9, the worse it became. it all started promising I admit.

22. infinite chaos

@ #6
    “they made one of their better games after his departure in particular, FF 12.”

I beg to differ. FF12 was better than X-2, but I think it’s far from being one of the better games in the series. IX, though not as good as Chrono Trigger, was better than both FF12 and Vagrant Story, IMO.

@ #7
    “Yeah they put out better games since the last Sakaguchi had made with Square was FF9 and the general consensus was it was the worst one of the PS era. ”

What better games has Enix put out since FF9? X-2? XII? XIII? :/

“Out of all of those Sakaguchi only did the original concept of FFVII. The other games he was either producer, executive producer or supervisor. SO the man had really nothing to do with those games.”

The producer/executive producer/supervisor of a game has nothing to with the game? Srsly?

@ #21
    “Square took several steps forward with Trigger, XG and even FF 8. ie the latter had some nice ideas like drawing magic, junctioning, dropping the usual level up system. it was all good in fact until late PS1, when they took a silly universal approach and released dumbed down games like FF9 or CC. (then they followed with a polygonal update called FFx.)”

FF8′s junctioning system and boring magic drawing system didn’t make the game, over all, any better than FF9 in my eyes. Not sure either how FF9 is any more “dumbed down” than, say, FFVI(which happens to be my favorite in the entire series). I have to admit the story wasn’t deep like FF7, but that didn’t make the game any less enjoyable.