New Vanquish trailer gets mental

Friday, 6th August 2010 12:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

vanquish 2

So. What else can you get from a Japanese developer that’s already provided fucked-up monochrome violence and a hot-looking witch in spandex?

Someone in a power-suit knocking a massive tin-head for six, apparently.

That’s what you see in the new trailer for Vanquish from Platinum. It really is properly mental stuff. Get it below, along with some new shots.

Vanquish releases in the UK on October 22 for PS3 and 360, with a US launch on October 19.

1. YoungZer0

Still don’t understand why the enemy had to be russian … Just look at them. They don’t even look human.

2. Moonwalker1982

For a change it would be nice to go actually against Americans, not always that you have to defend America,thats BS.

3. Crysis

yeh, let’s bomb up the yanks for once

4. Gekidami

That women giving you objectives over the radio cant sit down? Talk about a crappy job.

5. EscoBlades

HAWT!

6. Zarckan

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

7. mington

i hate trailers that show the double crossing good guy, i know the story is going to be ott and silly, and having your commander go rouge or whatever is very predictable in these types of stories, but still it would be nice to watch a trailer without any spoilers for once

8. Robo_1

Pretty much my most wanted game of the year. The trailer looks incredible, but I do wonder how the team has pulled this one out so fast.

Bayonetta was only released last year, and Platinum are supposed to be quite a small team, so how have they managed to put out two high quality action games in the space of two years? Seems a stretch!

9. ianbenoir

@2 YEAH, lets kill some americans!

10. FeaturePreacher

When I look at this trailer and compare it with actual gameplay footage, all I can say is that this game better have a demo before I even think of buying it. Especially with it’s lack of multiplayer.

11. DaMan

@Robo

it’s being developed by a different team, and Hideki Kamiya has nothing to do with this one.

12. osric90

Damn this year was a pretty bad one with money but a really GREAT one with videogames and movies. Hope I can buy this, It’s going to be genious (and not precisely about story).

13. OlderGamer

Looks completly crap to me.

The controls look suspect.

The animation looks jumpy.

Every time a cut scene/story part pops up I cringe.

And my best guess/gut feeling tells me that this will be a very controlled gameplay experience. Meaning that instead of being able to attack a stage/situation the way you want, you will prolly only have one way go about it.

Oh and the part where the hero goes all Dragon Ball Z with his fists toward the end … doesn’t fit.

A nickles worth of two cents.

But imo, blagh, very over hyped.

14. Boris Fett

@13 The game is the exact opposite of everything you just mentioned. Especially when it comes to freedom of the battlefield.

Except for the acting and cutscene. But I ain’t buying this game for its story.

15. OlderGamer

Might be. I haven’t played it yet, but that what I take away from the videos I keep seeing. Reminds me of Gears fussed with Lost planet fussed with Ninty Nine Nights. But with flaws.

Look at the way the chars move. Too fast. And in sudden bursts. To me that screams chopy and hard to control.

And given the games scripted story and developmental roots, I am not envisioning anything remotly close to a free form open world aproach. I call stuff like that too much game in the game. All they need to do is toss in a couple puzzle elements and they sealed it.

As far as freedom on the battlefield, I liken it to something like N3. You can get creative with how you take out your enimies, but not the way you go about doing it. I guess that doesn’t make any sense. I can’t get at what I mean.

Anyways like always time will tell. But nothing in video thus far has grabed me making me think i would like a go with this game.

16. zoopdeloop

I think we’ll have to see more from it to judge.A demo perharps…
    All i can say right now is that even if it’s a Shinji Mikami game doesn’t mean it will be a success.Mikami made some mediocre games in the past…and personally i think his only successful work was the RE series (at least the ones he was in charge)

17. AHA-Lambda

if it is anything like bayonetta then i’ll get it day 1

18. DaMan

he designed God Hand. a flawed, but never the less brilliant game.

also what’s with people saying the game is too ‘fast’? that’s the whole point I assume. kind of like calling Gears a slow whac-a-mole.