Report – OnLive worth $1.1 billion

Thursday, 5th August 2010 14:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

onlive31

According to a report from VentureBeat, cloud gaming firm OnLive is worth $1.1 billion.

The service launched back in June in the US, with no hiccups apparently.

A European launch is expected next year, following investments by BT in the UK and Belgacom inĀ BelgiumĀ earlier this year.

OnLive itself isn’t commenting on the figure, which was found in a filing in Delaware.

Still, big money. Big.

Via Big Download.

1. freedoms_stain

According to a report by freedoms_stain OnLive is worth jack shit.

Glorified expensive low-res game rentals FTL!

2. Zarckan

Errrr they are having a fucking laugh ain’t they?! :|

3. LOLshock94

so onlive is shit awwwwww

4. G1GAHURTZ

Boo.com

5. theevilaires

Older Gamer said it was ok. I think his word alone is enough to get me to try it. So I think I will.

6. mojo

i fail to see why onlive is a good thing.
    whatever.
    not for me.

7. LOLshock94

WATCH THIS TRAILER YOU WILL JIZZ YOUR PANTS

8. OrphanageExplosion

VentureBeat has been bigging up OnLive since the year dot. You get the idea that Dean Takahashi is very close to Perlman and his lot.

9. OlderGamer

The service is good. What it does it very well. But wait before you jump in there. I know they are looking at changing their subscription model. If/once they go to a flat fee and roll out a few of the games they are now holding back … things will look a lot better.

As it stands right now they are too expensive.

But it is lag free, does run smoothly, has very nice community features, and did(mostly) what they said they would do.

The only question I have is Onlive viable? I would rather outright buy the game with something like steam. But I think if they go to a flat fee that covers usage of all games, like a glorified Rental program or something like the old Sega Channel, then I expect to see this service around for a long time.