Milo: It’s “enormously contentious” to “do a game about a boy”, says Molyneux

Thursday, 5th August 2010 16:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

molyneux with milo - better pic

Peter Molyneux has said at this point, Milo is not thought of as a “release” project and furthermore, it’s “contentious” of Lionhead to do a game about a boy in the first place.

Speaking with USA Today, Molyneux said the game is considered a “very big tech demo” at the moment, and he seems to relish the fact Milo appeals to “all the dark thoughts of humanity”.

“We think about [Milo] being an ongoing experience,” said Molyneux. “This is a completely different way of authoring than we have ever done before. The way that we developed Fable, all the features are developed in parallel. The way we develop something like Milo [as opposed to Fable] is much more sequential. We spent a lot of time getting the stages and the environments right. We spent a long time on the procedures. You can now experience to release-level quality the first three to four hours of the experience.

“I don’t think of it as a released product at the moment. I still think this is a very, very big tech demo. I don’t think of it as something that would be a boxed product on the shelf.

“But is it something consumers will eventually get some aspect of? I think so, eventually. I do. There’s a lot of huge mountains to climb before that happens. The reason for that is it is enormously contentious for us to do a game, a story, an experience, about a boy.

“You are immediately appealing to all the dark thoughts of humanity. I actually love that, the idea of being so contentious that it makes people turn around and say, ‘You can’t do a story about a boy.’ But, for me, doing that in that way is absolutely right.”

Molyneux said the Pixar film Up proved you can create an experience about an adult and child with uniqueness by providing a platform that creates an emotional response in the user.

“One of the best films I saw last year was about an old man and a Boy Scout,” said Molyneux. “It was called Up. If I described for you this story, ‘It’s about an old man and a Boy Scout, strangers meeting and living together and going on adventures,’ you’d say, ‘You can’t do that. It’s out of the question.’ What you look for in drama and story is uniqueness and you look for experiences that people haven’t had before and I think it’s good to get it on a contentious level.

“Some of the most amazing experiences really in entertainment are things like Toy Story where you think you are seeing one thing and actually seeing something else. That film was for people of a certain age. It wasn’t for kids at all. Kids loved it because it was brightly-colored toys. But it was all about me remembering when I was a kid. And that’s a wonderful story to tell and in a way that’s what Milo is about. Finding out a little about yourself.

“I’ve seen people experience Milo and time and time again (they) say ‘I remember that moment.’ That’s a wonderful feeling. When you want to find out who you are, remembering who you were is the most emotional side of that.”

Milo may not be hitting shelves any time soon, but Fable III is – in October. It was delayed on PC with a new date to be announced soon, and will not support Kinect at launch.

Check out the opening cinematic for it here.

1. LOLshock94

it looks so gay

2. GitForceGemini

What about the Nick Hornby book and film adaptation, About a Boy?

3. freedoms_stain

ICO was a boy, and that game was kickass.

4. Herlock

ICO was a boy with horns ;)

5. Dannybuoy

@2 – yeah but Milo & Kate is a paedo-simulator ;-) Reminds me of this http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9031532194656768989#

6. NiceFellow

I think Pete’s a bit out of touch. Only mad folk really panic at the thought of a film like Up or a game featuring a boy and an adult.

Makes it sound real serious and all – but it’s rubbish to assert what was shown and the basic concept is hugely contentious.

7. Redh3lix

I don’ve even own an XBox, although I wanna buy an XBox with Kinect just so I can utter than famous Airplane line to Milo : “Ever seen a grown man naked?” and watch his reaction. :P

8. Neolucifer

ico and those movies werent creepy and the source of obvious jokes .

9. revsoul

Uh, Am I the only one who think Pete’s comments are way creepy?

The dark part of humanity? Then to say, “you can’t do that”,
    but then say “I love that”?

Someone needs to check Pete’s PC for ‘questionable’ material. He sounds borderline wacko to me, or maybe I’m just reading too much into his weird comments.

10. Boris Fett

@9 I think it says more about you that you’re reading into it that way than about Peter, to be honest.

People have made countless disturbing “jokes” about the fact that you’re a grown person talking to a kid. Even in this thread, some people have done so. Apparently, that sort of this is somehow more okay when the comment isn’t intended to be taken literally or seriously.

Molyneux has a point. It is contentious. But it’s also a very cool idea, and I really hope it comes to fruition at some point.

11. fanpages

Hey Beavis… he said “comes”.

PS. ‘grown person’… is that like a clone?

Seriously, though, adults talk to kids all the time.
    Sometimes the kids talk back without pre-recorded responses &/or actions.

This is only a “tech demo” & rightly so.

It would last as long as Sony’s buggy “EyePet” if it were released as an interactive title.

BFN,

fp.

12. Freek

It’s a game about a friendship between and adult and a boy. For that to work it requires context, adults do not befriend random children, that is weird. And subtlety, something games haven’t done yet.

Since those two things are missing from what is publicly shown of Milo people joke about it.