Online Pass helping EA Sports combat used games sales

Wednesday, 4th August 2010 16:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

easports

EA COO John Schappert has said Online Pass is helping the company keep consumers from purchasing its sports games used.

Speaking during the company’s financial call to investors last night, Schappert said between 60 and 70 percent of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 and NCAA Football 11 customers redeemed the Online Pass code included in the game.

“We are pleased to see 60 to 70 percent of online connected users redeeming the code,” he said. “The level of online play amongst our user base is up from last year, and revenue from paid downloadable content is also up.”

However, Schappert also revealed it was too early to tell how Online Pass has affected revenue from new and used game sales.

“It’s too early to tell,” he said. “What we are encouraged by is we are seeing more people play online on both of those titles, so it’s certainly is not holding them back.

“We think the extra gift, if you will, when you activate your online pass is driving some of that adoption.”

EA plans to include Online Pass vouchers with most of its sports titles in the future, and should gamers buy the products used, there’s always Project $10.

Thanks, IGN.

1. freedoms_stain

Gift?

Is there an extra I don’t know about? Cus p2p online play isn’t really a “gift”.

2. OlderGamer

Last years NCAA Football game was 110usd if you bought the game and the day one DLC. So, this year … I didn’t buy either. I stuck with last years game. I won’t be buying this years Madden either, same reason.

Until the prices drop on their yearly updates I will be staying with the ones I have. Most of my friends that I do play online with have also stayed with last years games.

When they stop charging me DLC Codes to unlock content that used to be included in the games, I will come back and buy their games.

And lastly how does 60% of new buyers using the codes = combating used games? Someone can still sell the game after they used the code. If anything thise new codes could hurt the online popluation, and deter people from buying the current years version. Even if you wanted this years version, you could always wait a year and buy it new for 1/3rd of this years cost.

I blame Peter More at EA sports for this crap.

3. theevilaires

You dumb Madden fans will ruin free online gaming for everyone watch. Activision will take note of this for COD and they will start a sub fee for some special privileges. Mark my word they will.

I hate meat heads and their stupid sports games. I hate sport games period. If you want to play football go outside and play it for real dumb asses.

4. The_Red

Imagine if Activision did this for Guitar Hero and COD…

5. OlderGamer

Kind of a wide blanket there Tea.

I love sports games. And what if someone is unable to play sports in real life, seems that playing a video game is a great way to enjoy the sport.

Anyways man, we have all seen the writting on the wall online subs are coming. I have no doubt that acti will be one of the first to companies to start them. And yea CoD seems like ground zero for them.

And as far as I am concerned both EA and Acti are just about interchangeable. Both evil bastages if all be told.

I can say that as a Madden fan, I won’t be buying this years version. I skipped NCAA Football this year as well … all due to EAs added fees. And I am talking about the DLC.

Those codes simply unlock recruiting, reports, etc that used to be in the game for free. My fav code unlock is the one that raises your players stat caps. It is like they locked out key features and decided to charge us to unlock em.

All be told NCAA is like 90 – 110usd this year for the game and the DLC packs. And that DLC doesn’t include the 10usd online play pass thingie in case you did buy it used.

It isn’t Madden gamers that will open up sub fees to other games, it is corperate greed.

6. Phoenixblight

“It isn’t Madden gamers that will open up sub fees to other games, it is corperate greed”

Its not just their fault after all there are people they pay that research it and obviously found a demand for it. So its our fault as well. DLCs wouldn’t be so popular if we weren’t the ones buying them.

7. OlderGamer

Agreed.

As gamers we are now making our bed, soon we will have to lay in it.