€180 GT5 Collector’s Edition revealed

Wednesday, 4th August 2010 10:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gt5 ce2

Got €180 to spend? Of course you do, you’re minted. Want a suggestion? Try a special GT5 CE just announced by SCEE.

The “Signature Version”, which was first mentioned by the boss of SCE India last month, will feature:

• Metal sculpted box finished in SLS AMG Obsidian Black
  • Exclusive GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car
  • GT leather wallet containing Signature Edition competition entry card
  • Branded USB key with Polyphony/Mercedes-Benz trailer
  • GT branded metal key fob
  • Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the beautiful cars and locations of Gran Turismo 5
  • 200 page Apex drivers magazine with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more

The Signature Edition will also enable gamers to enter a competition, where players can compete at in-game challenges just for owners of CE.

The winner will pick up a Mercedes SMG.

Sony also confirmed that less-cheaper collector’s edition that was announced for the US back at E3 will be coming to Europe at €80.

Hardcore stuff. Proper hardcore.

SCEE also detailed six cars that will be available to pre-orders for the game. There’s shots over at the EU PS Blog.

GT5 has no European release date as yet, but expect that to be announced in a week-and-a-half at gamescom. It launches in the US on November 2.

1. 2plus2equals5

Beautiful, but too expensive.

2. Johnny Cullen

For €180, that looks and sounds like a decent CE.

I am actually contemplating getting it.

3. Crysis

why not include a steering wheel with pedals & gear stick, ppl would go gaga over that, i would even consider getting it myself if it was good quality, too many cheap ones on the market atm, can’t even trust the big brands like Logitech

4. albo88

what a joke ROFL 180 euro hahahahaha
    you can buy a SLS AMG model car for 15 euro
    in thous places when they sell magazines hahaha big rip off

5. Tallon 4

180 euro. Those guys are nuts.

After a year it’s gathering dust in the attic. And that goes for almost every collectors edition.

6. asdfasdf

must resist

7. Psychotext

Ok, this one isn’t for me. I’ll go for the originally announced CE.

8. AHA-Lambda

nice yea, but a steering wheel would make more sense

9. Crysis

yay! someone agrees, i feel special :P

10. cookiejar

Its very very nice. But £150 is abit too much. £99 and I would of been all over this. Gunna be a cracker of a game, though.

11. AHA-Lambda

now that i think of it can anyone think of a more expensive CE? I can’t… :O

12. zoopdeloop

I can’t believe how some people are so “cheap” and demanding.What did they expect CE’s like this to cost like?

I’m sure that many of these people complaining about this price if they had this CE or were in charge at SCE to put on a price they would sell it much more.
    Get over it…it’s just an optional CE that some people (fans) will be very much interested in and the price is average

13. Benjo1981

You can buy a frikkin Wii/360 for that price!

14. Benjo1981

How is that price actually justified? We have the game, a coupla books, a wallet, a model car, a key fob and a usb stick! Is that really worth £150?

15. zoopdeloop

@13 Sure but if you’re a GT “mega fan” you can’t have it there.
    I’m just stating the obvious.This CE is for the few who are really very much into the franchise
    People pay much more just for a pair of shoes and this price sounds exaggerating?

16. Benjo1981

@15 Totally, you’re absolutely right. Whether they’re price gouging is another story though..

17. freedoms_stain

I suppose if you’re the dude who wins the Mercedes SMG 180 Euro will look like a freakin steal.

18. Psychotext

Luckily I’m realistic enough to know I’d be no-where near good enough to win the car. :D

I’d say anyone outside of the top 100 in the GT Time Trial realistically wont be good enough either.

19. No_PUDding

Should just be a prize draw so everyon has a chance. Even the average club-eyed finger twiddler.

20. mojo

wow. that is what i call a collector edition.
    Fucking kudos!!
    not packed wioth rubbish plastic-shit or virtual garbage like everywhere else.

21. Happy Hardon Harry

180 Euros, WTF, no chance. I don’t pay more than £20 for my games.

The PS3 console should be coming with it for that price.

22. Crysis

@HHH, if they listened to you, Sony would be bankrupt

23. Happy Hardon Harry

Crysis said:
    August 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm
    @HHH, if they listened to you, Sony would be bankrupt

A Sony fanboy speaks…

24. Psychotext

Why does that statement make him a fanboy? Including a £200 console with a £150 package would mean serious losses.

25. Happy Hardon Harry

You just need to look at his tone within his comment to see that he’s a Sony fanboy.

Anyway, the PS3 is getting cut to £180 for Xmas, so pricing a game at 180 Euros/£150 is madness.

Sony will probably only sell about 1000 copies to the fucking douchebags that would buy a game at that price.

26. Crysis

the console itself costs £150 to produce, you still think they will be profiting selling that with a whole game, infact the most expensive game to this date, is a smart financial decision for a company like Sony? Harry, to put this as simply as i can for your immature brain to process, you’re a fool

27. Catkiller

Suppose the USB key will be 512MB :)))

28. Crysis

i’d like a 64gb USB key :D

29. Happy Hardon Harry

Look dumb-ass, Sony have been selling the system at a loss since it’s release and have only, just only, begun to make a small, not huge, profit on it.

So bundling the System with the collectors edition wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Crysis, do us all a favour and fuck off back to noddyland where you came from!

30. Crysis

if they started to make a profit, then why start selling @ a loss again? that’s not how business works & ur ego is too high to admit u r wrong, grow up u immature child, many consoles have been sold @ a loss when they started, to try to get as many early adopters as possible so they can get some return from the software developed for their machines, after all that’s worked out they start making some hardware revisions to cut cost so they can finally receive profit from the actual hardware itself & gran turismo 5 is the most expensive game ever, so why would they selll that @ a loss too? that’s just plain retarted
    (EDIT)Gran Turismo 5 is NOT the most expensive game, but it’s in the top 5 for certain (EDIT)it’s second most expensive ever, costing $80mil right after GTA IV, $100mil

31. Happy Hardon Harry

Because every developer/publisher makes money on the games, not the hardware. And the more systems Sony get into houses then the more money they’ll make via the games.

Is that simple enough for you?

32. ExclusivesMostly

GT5: Prologue sold upwards of 3.3 million copies so GT5′s development cost isn’t really an issue for Sony or PD.

33. Crysis

@32, it’s sold over 4.8mil, but my original point was, Sony have no intention to ‘give away’ their software since it’ll be costing them an absolute fuckload to sell the game at an unessecary loss

34. cookiejar

Whats with the influx of ‘knob heads’ in this place recently?

35. daytripper

@34 there isnt a solid ban structure to the site so they linger longer than other forums/sites.

36. asdfasdf

I’d estimate…

€80 … GT5 Collector’s Edition
    €15 … Metal sculpted box finished in SLS AMG Obsidian Black
    €50 … Exclusive GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car
    €10 … GT leather wallet containing Signature Edition competition entry card
    €10 … Branded USB key with Polyphony/Mercedes-Benz trailer
    €10 … GT branded metal key fob
    €20 … Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the beautiful cars and locations of Gran Turismo 5
    ——
    €195

37. theevilaires

Hey daytripper why don’t you do us all a favor and ban yourself. Let them go at it. They’re not bothering or harassing anyone else. If you got something better to do than you wouldn’t be on here reading their comments.

38. Psychotext

Likely cost of each of those items…

€25 … GT5 Collector’s Edition
    €5 … Metal sculpted box finished in SLS AMG Obsidian Black
    €15 … Exclusive GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car
    €3 … GT leather wallet containing Signature Edition competition entry card
    €4 … Branded USB key with Polyphony/Mercedes-Benz trailer
    €3 … GT branded metal key fob
    €7 … Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the beautiful cars and locations of Gran Turismo 5
    ——
    €62

39. daytripper

@37 why aernt you saying that to cookiejar aswell then?

40. theevilaires

I was going to mention him too, but he doesn’t go around here talking behind my back like you do. I read that troll comment you made to O’Connor the other night calling me an “IT”

I don’t troll, but it seems like you do all the time. Whenever two guys are having a friendly childish fanboy debate here comes you sticking your nose in trying to make a name for yourself. One of these days you’re gonna get your nose cut off.

41. Crysis

I admit i’m a sony ‘fanboy’, i’ve loved their products since the psone & have never had a problem with any, is that childish? no-it’s customer satisfaction, so when somebody owns both a ps3-never a problem, & a 360-with the open tray error, i believe that i’m allowed to be bias towards Sony & it’s products, also-the shocker.. i bought the ps3 USED @ £180, years ago & yet have no problems with it what so ever

42. daytripper

@40 oh dear

ignore me then, if i’m so beneath you or troll on here then just ignore me and i’ll ignore you, simple as that.

43. theevilaires

@ 41 I remember when coming out the closet and saying you were a SONY fanboy on this site got you the biggest hate messages ever from all the XBOTS….you got balls the size of grapefruits my friend :D

@42 you can’t ignore me. You will continue to read my post cause I’m in your mind “24/7″ when you think about “Video Games” :D

44. OlderGamer

Just the game please. Can’t play the rest, it will only collect dust, and I have enough over priced dust collectors already.

So I will take, just the game.

45. Crysis

& altohough i’m biased to the ps3, i do not go around with comments like “360 is gay” or say every 360 exclusive is shit, not true, i love Halo & enjoy fable among some others which arent really exclusive since they’re also on pc, but all that kinda shit is for 12 year old kids, i do prefer the psn community over xbl tbh, since it’s a mroe expensive console, less littler kids own it, therefore when playing something along the lines of GTA IV, i do not hear a squeeky voiced-racist-american kid all the fucking time, drove me insane, so every time i hear one of those squeeky voiced-racist-american kids, i gun for them asap, even if they’re on my team, they deserve a good black eye for some of that shit which comes out of their mouths, when i hear a german, they make nazi remarks, when i hear a girl, i hear countless sexual remarks, it just ruins the experiance of being online

46. daytripper

@45 you played warhawk? spoke to some brilliant people on there, yes there is the odd exception who spouts shit but its one of the best online communitys i’ve come across, the clan matches especially :-D

47. OlderGamer

@ 45

I agree with everything you just said except for one bit.

” even if they’re on my team”

This is one of the biggest single reasons I play on XBL more then PSN. Team killing is rampant on PSN. Its free, no one enforces anything, and people have no accountaibilty for their actions.

I can always mute foul mouthed raciest kids, or just play the game with the headset pluged in, but not on my head.

I have two teen kids, and the oldest one knows a friend at school that got banned for talking crap in a game. My youngest son had a friend recieve a warning because of the subject matter in his profile. He changed it and nothing further happened.

I like that.

The trouble is that there are just far too many of them lil kids out there. But with all of the feedback methods and the kick from game methods, as well as the match making system on LIVE that ignores games with people on your ignore list it goes a long ways to improving the online experience.

And imo, team killing is a far worse online MP crime then mouthing off. Just ignore that punk, so long as he doesn’t betray you, I am good.

48. Crysis

nah, i would definately not do it if it were a close game or anything, only if said badmouthed punk is the one causing the bad scores or already betraying (normally the case which is why i did not elaborate), i just kill the punk once & tell him to STFU, i have ended up muting whole games in an attempt to ignore them, but it kinda ruins the experiance