StarCraft II sells 1.5 million units in first 48 hours

Tuesday, 3rd August 2010 14:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

starcraftII

Blizzard’s just announced StarCraft II sold 1 million units last week during its first 24 hours on sale, and 1.5 million during the first 48 hours.

According to GameStop, it’s the retailer’s biggest PC launch since World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.

“We launched StarCraft II in 11 different languages and on 5 different continents because we wanted to make sure as many players as possible were able to log on and play on day one,” said Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime.

“We’re pleased that so many people around the world have already picked up a copy of the game, and we look forward to welcoming even more players to Battle.net(R) in the weeks and months ahead.”

Launched worldwide last Tuesday, the game is split into three parts: Wings of Liberty being the first, followed by future add-ons Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void.

1. Droid

I’d be interested to see the figures of those who returned it for a refund.

2. Psychotext

When was the last time you could get a refund on a game… let alone a PC game?

3. Bellisner

Unnecessary trolling there Droid, did you have a point?

4. Droid

@2 ? All the time. You can legally get a refund on any game (the internet is a great source of info making everyone their own lawyer). Anyway afraid I was disappointed by it and returned mine.
    @3 I thought the point was obvious. Just read my sentence again. No idea what trolling is. I think you’re talking about Warcraft, I’m on about Starcraft. Free speech on the web is still alive and well I’m afraid my friend.

5. Madlink

@ Droid

Not sure where you live, but I don’t know of any game shops that let you return a game just because you don’t like it. Especially, like Psychotext said, a PC game.

6. Droid

@5 You’re right. UK law doesn’t allow you to return just by saying you don’t like it, only if it’s faulty, not as described, etc. I don’t know about other countries laws. It also has to be returned within 10 days of purchase I think. I guess it differs with online retailers though. As with all things nowadays it comes down to the exact words you use.

7. 2plus2equals5

When there are so many perfect scores i become suspicious.
    I read that it has only 1 campaign and the other two will be included in 2 incoming expansions(what a fraud!), no lan, multi limitations, and the same gameplay of starcraft 1(funny in 98, but extremely old now).
    So my question is: the 12 year awaited/developed Starcraft 2 is that perfect?
    PS:
    i’m a fan of starcraft 1.

8. freedoms_stain

@7, it’s been known for yearsthat the 3 campaigns would be released separately, it was not hidden therefore there is no fraud.

9. Crysis

i’ve looked @ some gameplay vids, is there anythign special about it? looks like a dumbed down C & C from what i’ve seen

10. Droid

@7 I liked SC1 too, and i’m also suspicious of scores by reviewers. Unfortunately when theres no demo out to try it you have to buy to be able to judge for yourself.

11. DeSpiritusBellum

@7 There’s no doubt that Starcraft 2 is getting off easy for being a classic franchise from a dearly loved developer.

It’s a really good game and the production values are obviously through the roof, but it’s also pretty antiquated, and if you took away the Starcraft and the Blizzard, I think people would be deducting at least one point on the individual scores.

Personally I don’t think that a game that changes basically nothing in its approach to gameplay should ever be awarded a 9.5, but it was to be expected. No one wants to be the first to slam Starcraft 2, except maybe Tom Chick.

12. Droid

@11 I don’t mind being the first. You can all hate me and join Bellisner’s ‘I h8 Droid’ fanclub if you wish. :)

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@12 Personally I think people are entitled to their oppinions. I only have a problem when they base it on nonsense.

Did you play it, though?

I’m still having fun with it, but at the same time I’m just thinking “I’ve played C&C, I’ve played Dune, I’ve played KKND, I’ve played Warcraft, I’ve played Starcraft – And you’ve changed absolutely nothing in that time”

14. Droid

@13 Yup I gave it a good go both sp+mp. Got my arse kicked a lot but was expecting that to happen anyways. I guess I was basing my thoughts of it on the original too much, and while it stuck fairly close to that I was expecting a lot more to it to make it ‘new’ while feeling like the old. Not really easy to explain that. Idk maybe my expectations were unrealistic. Anyway I dont have a problem with others enjoying it, just wasnt my cuppa T in the end.

15. Quak0r

HA! I knew it! It doesn’t count like with every PC game. While it is not a multiplatform game it is a multicontinent and multilingual game! And as we all know real games aka. consol games only sell in the US in the american language! I call foul Blizzard.

16. Monk

Well, less than I expected.
    it`s deserve more !

17. endgame

still, doing pretty gd considering that they r ripping ppl off.

18. LOLshock94

go to blockbusters buy game finish it between 10 days give them the game with the receipt there u go thats how u get a chance to buy another game which cost the same as the game you brought so why have demos

19. Grimrita

Blizzard are great at polishing a turd and the same goes for this.

Its nothing more than a very stale RTS. Gamespot just reviewed it with a 9.5 – which left me wondering if they actually played it.

In terms of sales, it shows that the PC market isnt dead, despite Microsofts best efforts at killing it off with Vista

20. DeSpiritusBellum

@19 I don’t think you can say anything about the PC market based on a classic with a fanbase as big as the sun.

They could’ve released it on the Dreamcast and it would still have shifted millions of copies.

That being said, the PC market isn’t close to being dead, it’s just being heavily ignored.

21. Grimrita

@20 – totally agree. Its just PR bollocks claiming that the PC market is dead when clearly its not.

But it also proves that PC gamers will spend their money on a dedicated PC title, instead of a shoddy port, then blame piracy on poor sales.

But for me, beta was unimpressive for SC2 and there are many far better RTS games out there worthy of a 9.5 but SC2 is not one of them.

22. Phoenixblight

I found SC2 to be 9.5 hell it should be higher they did do quite a bit to the game besides graphically like giving you choices throughout the game, allowing you to research and buy upgrades for your units, buy Mercenaries to give you upgraded units. Fantastic game and I can’t wait until Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void is released.

Yeah it is very similar to SC but what RTS isn’t similar to one another? Build units, buildings and meet the objectives.Its what you do with this that makes a RTS a great game and Blizzard delivered.

23. DeSpiritusBellum

@22 You can quite arguably do a lot more with an RTS than simply upgrading units.

Lots of other RTSes have implemented tactics, so instead of simply building your way out of combat, and flooding your objective with a wave of certain units, you actually have to apply those units in a certain way, using cover, artillery, harassment etc.

Or simply using protagonist hero units like in Warcraft 3, which to me is the best way of progressing the story in an RTS.

On one hand I kinda love the nostalgia of it, but it isn’t as gratifying to manufacture your way out of a mission.

24. bpcgos

Surely, PC gaming is dead!!^_^!!

25. Crysis

Blizzard is THE largest pc dev, ofc they will see success, but for others, it’s not always worth it, which is exactly why not every AAA makes it onto pc & if it does, it’s months after it’s console release, it’s just not as profitable with all these P2P & torrent sites inflating piracy therefore decreasing the return most would make.
    So get off your high horse bpcgos :P

26. DeSpiritusBellum

I laughed so hard when I read this, given the above comment.

Tom Chick, ladies and gentlemen, immune to hype.

27. Uncontested

Yep there was like 40 people at my gamestop at midnight for this game, impressive for a PC Title.

28. Erthazus

This is the most dissapointing title from Blizzard.