Tue, Aug 03, 2010 | 11:45 BST
No Nintendo presser for gamescom, Microsoft “still finalizing” plans
Nintendo has confirmed to VG247 that it will hold no gamescom press conference this year, while Microsoft has said it will soon solidify “plans”.
MS on hold for Cologne
Microsoft’s told VG247 today that it’s “still finalizing” its plans for the show.
More concrete details should be given to press next week, a spokesperson said.
Last year, the firm held a Peter Molyneux-centric press conference, in which he revealed Fable III.
Nintendo strikes out
Nintendo has now confirmed it won’t be having a press conference at gamescom this year, and will just have a stand at the show. This is a repeat of Nintendo’s gamescom set-up in 2009.
The platform holder isn’t the only games firm to hold fire on the German event. In the past month, publishers Sega and Capcom have confirmed they’ll have no gamescom presence at all.
Sega told VG247 that it was pulling out for “commercial” reasons, meaning Sonic 4, Vanquish, Valkyria Chronicles II and Shogun 2 won’t be on show in Cologne later this month.
Capcom, meanwhile, said it couldn’t “justify” showing a small line-up at gamescom, so Dead Rising 2, Sengoku BASARA: Samuari Heroes, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and others will be absent from the show.
Sony and EA are green to go
But SCEE and EA, in contrast, have fully committed to gamescom 2010, both holding their press conferences on August 17.
While it’s mostly unknown what to expect from SCEE this year – compared to last year and the Slimgate andprice-cut scenario – attendees will be watching for new trailers from stars such as GT5 and inFamous 2, as well as new game reveals.
A PSP2 reveal is unlikely.